Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you go getting all excited, I didn't do a baseline with the stock filter so I can't give you a definitive gain.

Rolling onto the DynoJet.

Having said that a little background is in order. I drive in Denver Colorado with an altitude of around 5280 feet (1 mile) soo.. needless to we have less air than you Sea Level guys. My performance mods are few. A Stealth Cold Air Intake, Bosh +4 Platinum Plugs, and Royal Purple motor oil if you can call the last two "performance mods".
So its basically stock except for the intake. Mile Hi Dyno Tuning ran a Dyno Day so for $35.00 I took the ZX3 down for a few runs.

Getting Strapped down.

Here are the results:

The Average Max Power was 118.25whp.
The Average Max Torque was 122.43wtq.
The temperature was about 72°F, pressure was about 24.45 in-Hg and the humidity was 11%.

At full throttle on the DynoJet!

Overall I was pleased by the numbers considering the altitude and I'm using 87 octane gas.
This is after all my daily driver. And I still get about 30mpg at 70mph back and forth to work and around town.

New wheels and tires and coming next week, but that's another story...

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
yay, lets hear it for high alt! lol....yeah, less oomph, but I think we get better gas mileage than the sea level peeps. Still, cant wait to drive down to sea level again this summer.

Any other Foci's present that day?

Now that I know what your car looks like, I will have to flip you off if I see around, lol.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
He BlazingCopper_ZX3 !

Well bro (and as you have already mentioned) w/o having done a preliminary test with the stock set up first, it's gonna be hard to tell what your gains were with the Stealth intake.

As for your hi-altitude, the dyno chart already shows an SAE correction factor of 1.23, so that has already been figured in.

You have the 136hp 2.0 Duratec, right?

Well, the general formula for figuring hp loss through a manual transmission is to multiply the crank hp by 85%.

So a stock 2.0 should be putting down around 115hp.

You report 118.25 SAE "corrected" hp, so that would be an increase of about 3hp. Still, the only way to know for sure is to test your vehcile under similar conditions with the stock intake.

Or maybe, to see what other stock 2.0's ran on that same dyno.

Do you know what other Foci got on that dyno?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
I was only there for a few hours but I didn't see any other foci although one was rumored to be on its way.
Most guys went to the local drag strip, opening day type stuff.
Their were a couple of Lotus and some Mustangs there but only my focus. Guess who got the lowest numbers of the day. Even the 1.6L Lotus got 184whp, but it was turbocharged.

After new wheels and some other things I plan to put the stock intake back on and go dyno it and the Stealth CAI on the same day. With the 2.0L and the CAI I guessed a 4 to 8whp gain but we will see. I was surprised at the torque curve.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
06GFX said:
what is the cost of that intake system?
Stealth CAI only cost me $39 bucks!

As BlazingCopper will tell 'ya, you're just basically removing all the junk after the MAF tube, and putting a cone filter on the bottom of that.

So it's whatever the filter costs you.

Here's the link where BlazingCopper shows you how he did it:

"Stealth" Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not bad, I live in the Denver area too, more Westminster though. But like sleestak said, I"ll have to flip you off too if i see you ;) (kidding)

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if they were some of the lotus' I am seeing out at the autoX's. They are def a car to be reckoned with.

Damn the others, draggin' their rides, lol. One of these days I may see you two (Blazin & n0irsmurf) at a G2G.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Not to bad...... I agree with the others, nice color!!! Got any pics of the intake installed? Engine bay, etc.....

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, got photos but it looks stock under the hood. Hence the name "Stealth CAI". Check out the how-to for photos.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
BlazingCopper_ZX3 said:
Yeah, got photos but it looks stock under the hood. Hence the name "Stealth CAI". Check out the how-to for photos.
Heh Copper!

I'm going to the drags on 5/13, so I'll let you know how the "Stealth" CAI works out (my car is otherwise stock).

And if I don't pull a high 15, I'm going to be really ticked!

I'll want my money back!

Ooops, that's right ... it was free! [:)]

LOLOL

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool. Good luck.
I looked through the Spring '05 issue of Focus Fanatic magazine and they got 112whp and 115wtq from a 2.0L ZX3 stock, so if I get similar numbers that would put the Stealth CAI at around 6whp and 7wtq gain for the price of a filter and the time to put it on.

Not bad. $4.16 per horsepower and $3.57 per foot lb. of torque in my case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
blazingcopper,

I read your article on the stealth cai and it looks really interesting. How did your car run in the snow? Why does the filter need to be reoiled every 3-5k miles? How much of a pain in the butt is it to remove it to reoil the filter once this is done?

Thanks

CM

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
camurphy2,

It ran fine in the snow BUT... I didn't use it in very deep snow, more like slush to rain. I have a Ford Ranger for the nasty stuff.
The filter is a Spectra cotton gauze cone filter so it needs to be re-oiled whenever it's cleaned. The oil makes the dirt stick to the outside so it doesn’t get into the engine.
Cleaning and re-oiling the filter is easy. Loosen the throttle body boot clamp, take out two bolts on the MAF/Resonator box and one holding the MAF to the frame and your done.

I clean and re-oil it when I change my oil, about every 5000 miles.

Although I haven't run a baseline with the stock air box yet, I got 118.25 whp and 122.43 wtq on the dyno last week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you need to drop the bottom cover to access the filter? and do you know anyone who used the k&n filter for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
BlazingCopper_ZX3 said:
... that would put the Stealth CAI at around 6whp and 7wtq gain for the price of a filter and the time to put it on.

Not bad. $4.16 per horsepower and $3.57 per foot lb. of torque in my case.
Good numbers!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts