Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PART ONE-whats been going on with me...

hey ya'll. i haven't been on here much at all lately. from april till november i work two jobs, like 70 hours a week. don't get much down time. when i do, its used to wash/work on my car, do laundry and somewhat maintain the house... sometimes i sleep a little too. i also am addicted to playing Oblivion for the Xbox 360. don't ask me how i do it, cuz i don't know.

so with very little free time, its important for me to be able to fully enjoy driving my car when i get a chance. cars have been an important part of my life for the last 6 years. i'm a car guy, and its one of those things in life that keeps me going, gets me out of bed, and gives me a reason to want tomorrow to come. they are what i thrive on. the svt focus was a great car. it was zippy, comfy, and looked good. i FULLY enjoyed the car and hold no grudge against it or ford... maybe the dealerships in my area's service managers, but none the less, no hard feelings.

PART TWO-the fiend goes through withdrawls and admits addiction.....

3 weeks ago i started having a problem with the focus. i noticed a little of the ole *popping gargle* in the exhaust coming back... this was unusual considering it had never happened for the last six or more months since i got my tune. a couple of days passed and it got progressively worse. then one morning after it had rained, i started up my car, and instead of jumping to 1500 rpms and remaining steady until it warmed up to the first temp mark and then slowly dropping to 1000rpms where my idle was set via tune... it went up to about 1200 and kinda staggered and stumbled between 1200 and 1000, until it got a little warmer, THEN it went to 1500 and stayed for a little while and then kinda went back and forth between those things before it got warm.

i went to take off, and it was like someone had stripped every one of the aftermarket parts i had put on my car in the last year and put all the stock ones on, then filled up my tank with regular gas.... this was not what happened, but thats how slow my car felt for all of you that didnt get that. and it was SERIOUSLY popping and [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] now. it seemed kind of similar to my maf sensor that went bad way back when i first got the car. i had a spare maf on my other intake so, i swapped them out, absolutely positive that this was the problem and it would be fine.... NOPE.

i had no check engine light, no guidance on this matter. i hooked up the diablo predator and did some data logging. the spark advance was all over the place when these symptoms were occuring. i was reading 0 to 25 degree jumps just coming out of nowhere on idle. sometimes it would drop down to zero, and then it'd jump to some crazy number like 16783 degrees (which is impossible) and stumble and crap...

so, i systematically started taking off part after part, replacing it with the stock part that i saved. i only had time to do one a day in between jobs. i took off the msd coil and wires, put new plugs in with the old stock stuff... didn't work. took off the intake and t-body and put the stock ones one... not it. took off the off road pipe and mil eliminator... not it. i even tried cleaning the maf sensors and trying both of those again to no avail.

everytime i tried something and it didn't work, my frustrations and faith in my car went to crap. it was time to seek help... professional help.

PART THREE-proffesional intervention...

took it to dealership #1- they had it for a day and a half and said it was the idle air control motor. i'm like great, fix it, its under warranty, i can't wait til its running right again! i picked it up a day later and started it up... can you guess what happened? you got it. same [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. i asked how they couldn't have noticed that after they'd "fixed it all up" and it "ran just fine now"... bull [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. this was the same dealership that cant figure out why my car pulls to the left, even though its "perfectly aligned". must be the tires. 10k miles later and two tire rotations... it still pulls to the left for no apparent reason and the wheel shakes a little bit when you are really really getting on it at high speeds or braking.... but its fine, everything looks good they said!

hello dealership #2-described the problem. left car for the night, so they could experience the cold start. they called me the next day and said... da da! we found the problem. its the idle air control motor!-hhmmm... i had already told them that i had that replaced already. i also told them about all the other stuff i tried. this dealership was cool with the fact i had put aftermarket parts on and seemed to know very little about the svt also. as a matter of fact, i knew more about my car than the service manager... not a good sign. so, two more days in a rental car... they call and say there is no problem... they say that from what they know, the svt's vct makes the car act like that and its perfectly normal for them to lose 15 hp overnight and start running like [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]... did you guys know that? i was not aware that once you passed the 20 k mark this happened...

but while they continued to stand and stare at my car, yet again tryin to figure this baffling problem out... my mind began creating a way out of this mess... across the lot, i saw my future and my past, all rolled into one. in that moment, i knew why i had come here, to this ford dealership to get my car fixed, rid of a problem, that apparently exists only in MY HEAD. no one else can see that there is something really wrong with it. the minions of my addiction had it all drawn out on paper, now i saw them for the first time. i saw them pulling strings, dropping signs, leaving trails, watching me suffer the whole time.... knowing that within days this 2 and a half week farce would be over, and i once again would be happy. the fiend would find his fix, and when he did, they would get their sacrement... so, if you can't beat em, join em i said... then the sales guy was like "who are you talking too?" and i snapped back into what was once thought of as reality.... "can i help you find anything?"

PART FOUR- getting back to my roots...

it was the year 2000, and life was good for the fiend. not only did 3 of my friends have 5.0 mustangs, but so did i. it was a beautiful white/black two tone 89 gt. it was an auto, but it ripped it up hard core. we loved every minute of those days, in our cars. the tickets, the races, the girls giving you head at 90mph... it was all good. then, i lost my license. i would have kept the car, but i owed money on it, and had to pay full coverage insurance, etc. on a car i wouldn't be able to drive within 50 miles of the town i lived for 18 months without a cop pulling my over... so i sold it. it was a sad day, im pretty sure i even cried. i learned my lesson the next summer when i DIDNT have a fast car, or any car to drive of my own, because of my actions in my 5.0, i wouldn't be able to enjoy a nice car for a long time...

blah blah blah

i'd like to take a look at the white 03 GT you've got up there i said, pointing to the mustang that they had made the center of their lot's front line with all the others pointing at it.

they had only had it out for 1 day. no one had shown interest in it yet, and i was the first to test drive it. 2003 GT, 5 speed, charcoal leather interior, 17" charcoal Bullit rims, black stripe down the side on the bottom that says "Mustang" in it. 12.000 miles. BBK cold air kit on it. i took it for a ride and was suprised by how nice it was. i'd never driven anything newer than a 95 5.0 stang... it was way faster than that. all i'd ever heard about the newer mustangs was people bashing them on here. how ugly the interior is, how crappy they handle, etc. etc.

this thing is beautiful. the black and white combo is so sharp, i get stares, and complements all the time... which matters very little to me, but is something i'm not used to and noticed immediately. i love it. the mustang is as reliable as they come. this engines been used by ford for 15 years(10 in the stang) and they've got all the bugs worked out. if you've got a problem with your v8 mustang, you can tell the tech whats happening and they'll more than likely know already whats going on. i get almost the same gas mileage as my focus. i'm averaging 20 mpg (18or so in town, and an astounding 27mpg hwy). my insurance only went up like 10 bucks a month.
Part 5- conclusion

it would've been a real hassle keeping the svt and trying to fix it... or to even get someone to recognize the problem. i don't have the time to deal with that crap. i've been losing sleep from all the running back and forth to the dealership (half hour each way), and the diagnosing i tried took all my free time for 3 days and a couple of sleep hours off my schedule. it needed ended.

i got a great deal on the mustang, and i worked it out that i got all but 300 bucks of what i owed on the svt for trade in (they gave me 13g's for a 03 with 25k on it)... its just like old times, but i'm older, wiser, and not out to race ever dumb f$*k in a neon or cavalier that wants a piece of my pony. it took a long time coming, but i'm back to square one, and i couldn't be happier.

as soon as i figure out where my camera is at, i'll snap some pics and post em on here. you guys and gals have been great, and don't count me out yet. i'll still be hanging around. thanks for letting my vent, just thought i should let you know what happened!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
My first thought was TPS...its ~$20 from Ford and its easily accessible on the TB.

Hows the car at wide open throttle? If its good when you floor it and runs like crap at cruise, thatd be my guess...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
can't help with the svt issue, but i hope that you enjoy your ride...i don't think pics are nessacary stangs are all over the place. gool luck

·
Registered
500 Posts
Man great story.. long but a good one!

Enjoy your new car good choice btw [thumb]

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stumbly Idle-Acts like MAF but isnt=TPS almost always from my experience- Did you try holding the car at 3000rpms, 4000rpms Im glad you got a car you wanted. That white they use looks SHARP too! Good choice!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, loving the stang. well, the tps seemed to be reading fine on the predator's data logging. like i said, it was the spark advance that seemed irratic at the time of the stuttering and at idle. i suggested vct, and they said it was reading fine also. the power loss was everywhere. i'm not trying to get a diagnosis. its no longer a problem... i don't have the car. the stang runs great.

i totally dig the new 4.6 mod motor. its really the best of both worlds. great low end torque, and after 35 or 4gs on the tach, it screams and then theres a boost again at 5k all the way to 6200. i can't wait to get some pulleys and get it dyno tuned. it'll race to redline. i'm getting the pulleys sometime this summer, but i'd rather make some extra payments then seriously start modding it. its a blast to drive as is. sure it doesn't grab the road around corners like the svtf, but it handles better than most give it credit for, and i'm actually finding it better every day. the brakes are great, they stop it more than adequately.

to spite some peoples opinions, i will be posting pics as soon as i borrow a camera from someone, i lost mine when i moved. some will still want to see it. theres more than one mustang lover that ended up with a svtfocus on here.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
that was a good story! i couldn't help to read the whole entire thing! lol well put! congratulations on your new ride man

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
enjoy your new toy!!

(ever the scavenger, I must ask this)...

What are you doing with all those troublesome aftermarket parts you so convieniently removed before trading?[:D] (surely they must be partially to blame, and thus cost less... right?? maybe?)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just so everyone knows scotty, i have the nopi cai w/original and aem dryflow filters. msd coil pack and plug wires w/a set of slightly used denso plugs(all have less than 500 miles on them). 2 spare maf sensors. mac engine snubber. steeda oil catch resevoir (never used).

this is what i have left... and some stickers and ford emblem overlays that i never used. if anyones interested, PM me. i'll probably go about 75% of retail for most parts. they're all practically new. i'm going to put em on ebay or just sell em on here sooner or later, i'm just busy. i'll have time to post em this weekend for sure.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah, and the original throttle body, not the 65mm one. this has been sitting in my garage for over a year. its very dirty (not the good kind either)... oops, gotta check my strawberry rhubarb pie in the oven.

also the original pulleys... i'll give them to you, but you gotta pay shipping.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^Please use the Buy - Sell - Trade forums for posting items for sale.
The "discussion" forums are not meant to be used for that purpose.
Thanks. [;)]

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just wrote that i'd do it later and that he should pm me if interested... sorry wd40. notice i didn't list any prices, just what i had so he'd know if it was worth his time or not.

·
Registered
356 Posts
fiend, it was probably yout TPS, mine went bad recently.. same exact thing. I replaced it and life was good. bad TPS's dont throw codes really if they are just a bit off. A clogged up O2 could also cause some random bogging and surging.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, i understand. the mods are here for a reason! thanks wd40.

cleggy, its all good. i don't much care what it was. much happier with the stang anyways. i feel like i'm wearing an old pair of shoes for the first time in a year... or something. oh well, i hope whoever gets the svt likes it as much as i did. just not my style.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts