Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, prepare yourselves for the most rice question I'll hopefully ever ask.

What is a good Glasspack muffler for a stock Zetec engine?

I know what you're thinking. RIIIIIIIIICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Please bear with me and hear me out. I'm currently jobless and want a bit more throaty sound from my little Zetec. I currently have the resonator "lunchbox" delete but it just isn't quite enough for me. I know people are going to say, "Get a real exhaust" and "Dude that's just too rice" but I don't have the money for a full exhaust right now, but trust me, it'll come.

So, please, I'm just confused with sizes and whatnot, and unfortunately I don't have access to a welder at this moment in time so it'll have to be clamped before I do.

I'm not trying to be as rice as possible, I just want to get this done so I can get it over with.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Why glass pack? you could get just an aftermarket muffler also... the price difference is not that much.

Stock exhaust is slightly under 2" IIRC so if you go 2" then it should slide over it.

Question is why are you going to spend $50 now for a sound you likely don't want to just 5 months later spend another $150 on an exhaust when if you just wait you would already be $50 towards that. I dont understand why people get something they spend money on "knowing" they will spend money in the future to replace it. Off soap box...

any name brand glass pack will be better than any ebay knock off. you will want as long of one as possible. I am guessing you then have the tools needed to cut your current exhaust? its going to be a PITA if you try to do it with it on the vehicle. if you take it off be prepared to replace a few bolts and a flange gasket (unless you want to increase your risk for an exhaust leak).

Also the clamps run about $5 to 6 each so another $10 + tax for the clamps.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why glass pack? you could get just an aftermarket muffler also... the price difference is not that much.

Stock exhaust is slightly under 2" IIRC so if you go 2" then it should slide over it.

Question is why are you going to spend $50 now for a sound you likely don't want to just 5 months later spend another $150 on an exhaust when if you just wait you would already be $50 towards that. I dont understand why people get something they spend money on "knowing" they will spend money in the future to replace it. Off soap box...

any name brand glass pack will be better than any ebay knock off. you will want as long of one as possible. I am guessing you then have the tools needed to cut your current exhaust? its going to be a PITA if you try to do it with it on the vehicle. if you take it off be prepared to replace a few bolts and a flange gasket (unless you want to increase your risk for an exhaust leak).

Also the clamps run about $5 to 6 each so another $10 + tax for the clamps.

I just want some sound now and I don't know how long an exhaust is going to be. Like I said, I want something to do and if I don't like it I can put the muffler back on. I don't know anything when it comes to brands of mufflers and what would work best, so input is appreciated.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Why not just save your money until you can afford whatever exhaust you really want, instead of lighting your money on fire so your car can sound like crap while you continue not having money for the exhaust you really wanted?

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just save your money until you can afford whatever exhaust you really want, instead of lighting your money on fire so your car can sound like crap while you continue not having money for the exhaust you really wanted?

I'm not doing it then. I don't care.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I am not sure what your looking for. you want a glass pack go for it, but if you already know its not what your looking for then why spend the $. it wont give you any performance and will just annoy the neighbors.

Cherry Bomb is the name brand for glass pack. get the longest one that will fit.

If your going to be doing the installing get under your car and measure. no one is going to do that for you. You will need pipe cutters (sometimes can be rented). so just anticipate tool costs and or extras such as bolts and gasket when you do it. so a $40 glass pack will turn into a $80 job.

with regards to putting the stock one on, you would then need to get oversize pipe to slide over the stock pipe and then extra flanges because once you cut the stock exhaust you have removed metal and will need additional parts so once again would cost $20 or so to put the stock muffler back on. total cost if you dont like the sound would be $100.... to return it to stock.

Its your car. do a Google search and YouTube to find out what similar 2.0L type inline 4 cylinders sound like with different types of glass pack. I am sure there are plenty of them for focus.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure what your looking for. you want a glass pack go for it, but if you already know its not what your looking for then why spend the $. it wont give you any performance and will just annoy the neighbors.

Cherry Bomb is the name brand for glass pack. get the longest one that will fit.

If your going to be doing the installing get under your car and measure. no one is going to do that for you. You will need pipe cutters (sometimes can be rented). so just anticipate tool costs and or extras such as bolts and gasket when you do it. so a $40 glass pack will turn into a $80 job.

with regards to putting the stock one on, you would then need to get oversize pipe to slide over the stock pipe and then extra flanges because once you cut the stock exhaust you have removed metal and will need additional parts so once again would cost $20 or so to put the stock muffler back on. total cost if you dont like the sound would be $100.... to return it to stock.

Its your car. do a Google search and YouTube to find out what similar 2.0L type inline 4 cylinders sound like with different types of glass pack. I am sure there are plenty of them for focus.

I have been thinking about measurements and correct placement and that sort of thing. I wanted to do a project with some friends. My stock muffler is almost gone and I won't be getting an exhaust anytime soon because parents don't like it and if I keep asking about getting it done they'll just keep saying no. I do have the tools, and so does my friends, and I can probably get access to a welder if I want to put the rotting muffler back on.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Just to be clear what dont your parents like about the exhaust? A glass pack will likely annoy the hell of of them as it will be louder than any rotted out stock muffler (assuming no actual exhaust leaks)

there is a sticky on here that gives stock exhaust diameter it 1.96" or something like that. (IIRC thats out side diameter) so look at specifications and make sure you get something that will slide over the stock size.

Then measure where you can put the longest glass pack you can get. something on the order of 18+ inches. youy can put a 18" resonator with the trubendz system so a glass pack should fit and likely even longer if your replacing the muffler.

Just be aware that a brand new trubendz kit is $270 + shipping. that means you can likely pick one up new or search around the junk yard or FS section and find one for $100 or less.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to be clear what dont your parents like about the exhaust? A glass pack will likely annoy the hell of of them as it will be louder than any rotted out stock muffler (assuming no actual exhaust leaks)

there is a sticky on here that gives stock exhaust diameter it 1.96" or something like that. (IIRC thats out side diameter) so look at specifications and make sure you get something that will slide over the stock size.

Then measure where you can put the longest glass pack you can get. something on the order of 18+ inches. youy can put a 18" resonator with the trubendz system so a glass pack should fit and likely even longer if your replacing the muffler.

Just be aware that a brand new trubendz kit is $270 + shipping. that means you can likely pick one up new or search around the junk yard or FS section and find one for $100 or less.

Well, first off, my mom doesn't get modding. My dad would put it off and put it off, and he doesn't want me spending all that money at once, especially in my jobless state. I know I'm stupid and I probably shouldn't even be thinking about a Glasspack.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
you can do what you want, dont let anyone on the forum tell you otherwise. its "your" car (or your parents??)...

Just know all the costs and risks up front. and know that its not going to do anything for performance. its just going to make it louder than it already is.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Say Riley, I'd be looking to get a job 1st & then start getting the exhaust you really want.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
How much do you have saved up? Any useless junk you can sell?

Buying a full used exhaust in good shape is a lot cheaper than you may think. Many times its like 150 shipped.

If your mom thinks that a hack and weld muffler job is better for the car, she's wrong. A normal exhaust is the same as a hack and saw muffler job.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much do you have saved up? Any useless junk you can sell?

Buying a full used exhaust in good shape is a lot cheaper than you may think. Many times its like 150 shipped.

If your mom thinks that a hack and weld muffler job is better for the car, she's wrong. A normal exhaust is the same as a hack and saw muffler job.

I have about $70ish in Christmas money that most is going towards gas.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
So you're broke. I'd tell mom and dad that a hack and saw job is likely to cost 110 after shipping, tax and tools/tool rentals. A decent exhaust used would run about 150 often shipped. A few bolts and a lot of time and you have something better.

Both done properly, car health will be the same. Benefit? One is annoying loud and obnoxious. The other? A decent tone.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's actually tempting.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
I would do it right the first time Riley, save time and money. Its not like you are gonna sell your car any time soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts