Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The question was posted; "How much boost should I run..." Welp, the answer (after a very long boost controller debacle) is 12-13psi. Figured we'd keep it modest seeing how it was 103 degrees in the dyno room. My car put down 230.78whp/ 222.69tq. A gain of 24.79 Hp and 33.09 Tq. May not seem like much for ~2lbs of boost, the curve is awesome! Ray says theres ore room up top to clean up, but I was blowing spark towards 6500 and I couldnt afford to be strapped on much more. Maybe in October I'll go back when its a bit cooler and we'll play with my cam gear and see what that does.

All in all the car feels 82x better with the intercooler/ 2psi/ tuning. Now that I have timing, my turbo hits ~10psi by 3800. Car feels awesome though!! Its so strong in 2nd gear and 3rd gear. I dont mention much of first becuase there isnt much time to notice after I get going and mash it...I literally run out of 1st gear in a matter of 2-3 seconds.

Dyno charts :

BEFORE10psi Non intercooled -

TODAY 12.5psi Intercooled @ 103 degree temps -

*As you can see there IS room for more up top, but we were running way behind schedule. I'll get that addressed in October when I go back for some #'s with cooler temps and a chance to play with my cam gear a little bit. I might also get Ray to throw in a few more shims in the ole wastegate so we can hit the 250-260 mark. THEN! Then I am done done done!.....maybe...[;)]

VIDEO!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Z380FImVA

Thanks again Ray!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to do 15psi, but it was very very hot and Ray was trying to keep it safe...but yes, I can do 15psi safely I think.

...on a side note, I wont go into much detail, but that turbo spools F A S T! While we were setting the boost controller, I saw it hit 20psi in the blink of an eye. Literally, I saw it go to 10, then WAM! 20. It was scary. Ray said, "We've gotta stop doing that..." I agreed. We just decided shimming the gate was a better solution for now...and probably for good. I'll just have em throw in 4 more to get 14-15psi next time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Mike, if you need a place to host the video I have 2 servers I can use...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I might take you up on that...I have it loading on streetfire right now...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I certainly am!!

..on a side note, on the way up there this morning, I must've been in my own little world. There I was cruising along, and one of PA's finest gave me a ticket for 83 in a 65. Whoops.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congrats Mike! I'm pretty sure you can run 15psi. Keep us post it!!

and the same here Mike if you need video host i have couple server that i could put them on.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welp, had some fun on the way home from work today....and by "Fun" I mean not so legal by MVA standards. I destroyed....and by destroyed, I mean, I thought he might have put his car in park on the highway...a Magnum with a HEMI. The tag "1BADMAG"...pssht. 3rd and 4th gear is absolutely silly. It pulls so damn hard it makes me feel like my brain is pressing the back of my skull. I cant imagine ole CompO with 23psi and over 300whp. 230whp feels incredible!

...time to go hunting for that Cobalt SS (which I already laid the smack on, and found out he has a GM Stg. 3)...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
congrats, man. glad to hear everything came out ok!!! and yes it a change to have 230's, fun and will get more tickets, i had eleven points from 12 all thanks to boost!!!
. have fun with it, we all do.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Awsome numbers! But I'm a little confused on something, and I'm sure it's probably something I missed, but the car in the video is black but your avator is silver. [confused]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts