Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while backing into the driveway a couple days ago I noticed I had no functioning gauges and the air bag light was illuminated. I cut the engine. I waited a few seconds and tried to restart it. The car struggled to turn over and when it finally did the idle was less than steady. The gauges reset but didn't work after the reset. Now the thing won't start. Is this an alternator problem? Lemme know. Beers for anyone who guesses correctly and calls how many hours it'll take to fix. My Focus has been on the road since late 99.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Try a new battery, because I bet ur Alternator is gone. and if the lights were on that could be a sign. Try a new or a jump start. That woudl cause a slow crank, and a bad alternator would cause a poor or abnormal idle. SO try the batt or a full charged battery to see if it solves the prob, and put a multimeter on the battery once the car is running, and if ur seeing a voltage of like 11.?? or below 12.4 or so then ur Alternator is bad and its not charging.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^^ Agree 100%.. Its either a low battery or the starter has crapped out ( very unlikely ). If the alt. is good you should see at least 13.5 or above in voltage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the load tester showed about 12.5. Alternator is kaput. My mechanic said the alternator is "buried". So I figure it will take him a few hours. Is this true? Does anyone have the Ford proceedure for replacing Focus alternators? I'm going to have my mechanic replace the drive belt while he's doing the alternator...is there anything else I should have him do at this time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced an alternator on a Focus once. It sucked the big one. If I remember correctly, it was on the passenger sinde, in the back, sort of behind the engine. It took a couple hours and tore the crap out of my forearms to swap out.

It can easily be done at home, but it's gonna require some patience. If you have really long, skinny arms and small hands that helps too. [;)]

·
Registered
83 Posts
the easiest way to do it is put an jack under the engine on the pass side remove the pass side motor mount and jack that side up. it gives you alot more room to work, although its still a pain.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
I just installed a 2000 Ported Intake Manifold and man that was a P.I.T.A. The biggest pain was removing or moving the alternator. You have to take the fuel rail off and some sensors and obviously the belt. It's not that hard just time consumming. and have patience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts