Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been getting this code for a while now, and ive just been clearing it...everyonce in a while it will come back on...

and its been happening more and more latly...

ive read a ton about it so i went out and tried to diagnose it...tell me what you think is going on!

1) i had previously cleared the code, but i went and turned the car on and it popped up...checked the cable and stuff...it was pulled tight, and everything so i revved it up past 6k and it engaged so i turned off the car, cleared the code

2) while the car was off i hand twisted the dsi lever to make sure the dsim twisted inside the manifold smoothly...it did so i got in the car and turned the car back on

3) no code on start up so thats good, went to the hood, and twisted the throttle body about 5-6 times and the clip fell (worked properly) everysingle time...checked inside, no code

4) with the car still on, i repeated my 3rd step again went under the hood pulled the throttle body, and again it engaged every single time (like 7 times at least) checked in the car and still no light

5) in the car i reved it up to about 6k rpms like 10 times in a row...(i know not the best thing to do) still no light...

6) turned it off, then on again no light

so basically im really wondering what the heck is going on with it...it seems like if i get in the car and drive it i get the code a lot...like ill clear it before i go somewhere, and then while driving it will come on again...always the same code...i figured out of the 15-20 times i was testing it, it would get stuck open at least once, but it didnt

do you guys think it is just going bad...

should i try cleaning it like the others in the forum, or is that just an unnecesry risk?

tia! -Dallas

·
Registered
404 Posts
mine started doing the same thing. The electric motor that moves the cable was going out slowly on mine. It would work most of the time. As time went by it was messing up more often. I finally replaced it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it is probably just the motor slipping or something with the motor assembly itself right?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yea if the cable is doing like you described and it seems to be working most of the time then I would say it is the motor assem. that is the problem. Get in touch with Mike at Hilbish. He will hook you up and it wont break the bank. It really not that hard to switch out. I think there is a thread about it on here. Good luck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...acctually following my original post, ive been driving my car after doing all that junk and so far no light has come on again...

some wierd crap, i just hope it doesnt come on again!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
mine started doing the same thing. The electric motor that moves the cable was going out slowly on mine. It would work most of the time. As time went by it was messing up more often. I finally replaced it.
Im having the same problem. Sometimes it engages, other times it doesnt. Are you referring to the motor thats under the front DS fender? If so, how much did it run you to replace the unit?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I like it better when it screws up imo. But i know when it trips though cuz it sounds like a "zipppping" sound I enjoy it becuase..the intake is louder gives it a nice new exhaust tone. To me it seems faster too. And honeslty i dont care about not haveing low end, and i dont notice any MPG change eather

·
Registered
383 Posts
i got the same code, replaced imrc and i was fine after that

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey DucDong I cant remember the exact amount but I think it was just a little over 100$, but changing it out was not that hard.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Subtleshift, Glad to hear its not acting up right now, but keep an eye on it mine acted up a little at first then went almost 2 months before it acted up again. It got worse then. Hope your lucks better than mine, hehe.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Hey DucDong I cant remember the exact amount but I think it was just a little over 100$, but changing it out was not that hard.
Hey thanks bro. Guess I should have checked thread before starting my own. DOH!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine was doing exactly the same thing, throwing the code even though the motor and cable still works.

Open up the motor box and clean the points style contacts inside.

Solved my problem since then, 3 or 4 months with no more P1518 error.

See here for my how to with photo's http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164269

My car is a RHD, so my IMRC box is mounted on the firewall, your LHD cars may have it mounted somewhere else.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ours is behind the left headlight, take headlight out and it is right there...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts