Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The problem is that you're not going to find too many "good" shocks that are compatible with a 2" drop (and related spring rates) at low or moderate pricing. When you go that low you have to pay the price to do it correctly. It's either a decent adjustable coilover or something like the Koni Sport. Neither will be cheap, but shocks like the Koni's are that much better and you pay for that quality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, so either Coil overs for 1200, or Koni Sport for just north of 600. Is the Koni Sport a package deal? springs, shocks, anti sway bar and all the good stuff, Or is it just springs and shocks? Or just springs? lol

Jake

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Not that I'm aware off. The Best Koni match for lowering is probably with the H&R Race spring although they work with just about any springs (including stock) because of their wide range of damping adjustment.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
It rides good as long as you stay away from pot holes and large cracks in the road. I still think it's rides better than it did with stock coils just less travel. My wife concurs. I'm at 150,000 now, I was at 145,000 during install. I will also warn you if you go as low as 2" on 18s and stock shocks you may need to do some fender work cause it'll rub in the rear during heavy turns and when the trunk is or back seat is loaded.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Like crap and will handle even worse. You should have replaced the shocks 70K miles ago! Shocks have a useful life of 50 to 60K miles.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Like crap and will handle even worse. You should have replaced the shocks 70K miles ago! Shocks have a useful life of 50 to 60K miles.
I don't mean to step on your toes. I completely agree with you that the shocks need replaced. I'm just speaking from experience on a budget. Do you think SVT shocks would work with a 2" drop cause they run fairly cheap. Being SVT is 1.5" lower than stock.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
How about the handling? I plan on getting 18x8 rims in the future... Give it a 2" drop for now. How much would the h&r shocks cost?
I honestly think it handles fine. But I'm sure it'll be better with new shocks, I have 18x7s and they rubbed like a bitch in the turns before I "rolled" the fenders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased the car 4 months ago with 123k miles... I was looking for svt suspension but no one is selling so i gave up. Now I'm looking for a 2 ish inch drop with great ride. Now that you mention that, maybe not 2 inches.. i don't want to rub.. my hatch is full with 100 pounds of speaker box haha

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, i saw that after i posted. :p sorry. Thats not bad. The upgraded svt suspension. 320 before shipping.. ill look into that one! Thanks a bunch! :)

Jake

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure anybody will see this post from a nube cuz the thread lists 135 posts and I can only view 128...

I'm just looking to replace my factory '02 SVT suspension. FRPP kit M-18000-ZX3 looks like what I need if replacement of seemingly fine springs isn't needed. They do have the same 168K as the rest of the car...??? Obviously I don't treat the car the same at this mileage as I did nearly 10-years ago when it was new. I've already tried it lowered 1/4" more than stock but didn't like the front rub on lousy Ohio roads.

Is there anything else I should consider replacing also at this mileage? All bushings etc 'appear' fine. I am considering the Steeda strut tower brace just to add rigidity to an aging car.

What is good for the rear that would be compatible with the stock SVT suspension? Would the adjustable rear camber arms, or the bolts, or the Ingalls camber shims, all listed @ Summit continue to provide the same handling characteristic's if I were to dial out the tire chewing I've experienced since new back there?

Like I said, I'm a total nube to doing anything on this car. It's provided me with great times and transportation since May 02 with very little hassle or headache. Well, aside from a set of tires every year ;)

One problem I'm running into is that as the FRPP phone guy advised me, they don't take orders. There are no area dealers either where I could spend my money locally. If I go too far from NC Ohio, shipping will eat me. Summit doesn't honor the employee discount I should be able to get from Ford either. Anybody know a source where I can get Ford parts with my discount, that the shipping won't eat the savings?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I don't mean to step on your toes. I completely agree with you that the shocks need replaced. I'm just speaking from experience on a budget. Do you think SVT shocks would work with a 2" drop cause they run fairly cheap. Being SVT is 1.5" lower than stock.

The SVT is more like .5" lower than other Focus models.... not 1.5". The SVT shocks are successfully used with 1.5" drop Ford Racing springs. My best guess is that the SVT shocks (while good) would be taxed by a further drop and/or spring rate increase (spring rates normally increase the lower you go).

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
The SVT is more like .5" lower than other Focus models.... not 1.5". The SVT shocks are successfully used with 1.5" drop Ford Racing springs. My best guess is that the SVT shocks (while good) would be taxed by a further drop and/or spring rate increase (spring rates normally increase the lower you go).
Yea I got to talk to another member in person at a meet the other day and he said to not go with SVT shocks with lowering springs he tried it and it actually bent the shocks.

You can get that same kit from Hillbish or Tousley Ford for less than 275.00.
I keep hearing about them I need to check em out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I need new shocks and struts for my 2000 ZX3. I'm thinking about the M-18000-ZX3 kit from Ford. It's just the SVT dampers without springs or anti-sway bar. This should work with the stock springs, right? Anyone familiar with the ride and handling of this setup?

121 - 140 of 185 Posts