I have had a few kits on my car:

Stock
Eibach sportline+damper
SVT
Intrax SVT + KYB AGX (my favorite)
H&R race + koni yellow
Bilstien PSS9 (second favorite)
KW V1

Overall I like the Intrax/AGX setup the best for daily driving, but for split use (track + dd) I would go with the Bilstien PSS9.
I bought the SVT kit, bushing kit and a front sway bar. I'll get this done as soon it warms up. I wanted it to do it today but, its cold.[sleeping]

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
I don't know if anyone cares, but I found out the spring ratings on the SVT kit with the 1.5 inch drop springs that go with that kit?

I found out what I could about the spring rate on the M-5560-ZXM lowering springs are, after calling like 6 places I found out that the rear is:

Not under pressure they are 12.1 inches, when under pressure down to 5.9 inches the lb rating is 828LB's, and when they are compressed to 6.9 inches the Lb rating is 586lb's.

For the front I got a bit more info, the not under pressure length is 12.4in and the rating is actually two, one is 100lb's per inch and after 2 inch's the Lb rating goes up to 130Lb's per inch.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hate the poly bushing squeaky sound. yes, I used grease

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

Is anyone running H&R race springs with Koni Yellows? How is the feel? I've run full track only coilovers from PBMax on my 240sx and Tein Basic coilovers and eibach springs on stock struts so I'm not afraid of stiff, just don't want passengers to hate riding.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Hey guys,

Is anyone running H&R race springs with Koni Yellows? How is the feel? I've run full track only coilovers from PBMax on my 240sx and Tein Basic coilovers and eibach springs on stock struts so I'm not afraid of stiff, just don't want passengers to hate riding.
a lot of autox people run them (so have i) and i will tell you you will love the ride and how it handles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So after reading all this and getting tons and tons of ideas, i still need some input.

I have an svt, and im looking to drop it around 1.5". Anyone have any experience on what the best lowering springs to throw in the svt suspension would be? Im not as concerned about ride comfort all though it would be nice if it wasn't super stiff.

What im looking for most is a good spring, for a moderate price, that drops the car 1.5''.

Thanks for any input that anyone has.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Drops the car 1.5" from the SVT height?

You only have a few options:

Best overall option: Coilovers - You will be able to adjust the height, and the car will handle like it never has before.

Best Mix/Match: H&R Race springs/Koni Yellow Shocks - These will be lower than the SVT but you're not going to get the slammed look. Performance wise, next to coilovers this is by far the best set up for great handling.

Best All in One: H&R Cup Kit - It will be slightly soft for aggressive driving but it's definitely your best spring/strut combo out of the box. Comfortable ride for how low it is, lowest spring/strut combo out there.

Other options: There are other options that are out there that will get you low or that will be cheaper but they are either not durable (like the Eibach Sport Kit) or are hard to find (Intrax).

·
Registered
3 Posts
2002 SVT rear sway provision?

Looking into getting the Eibach ProSystem Plus for my 2002 SVT... but, online merchants say to check to make sure there's a rear sway bar from the factory. Noob question, I know, but are there provisions for this car to have a rear sway bar installed? I don't want to get the Plus kit if I don't have to...
Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Drops the car 1.5" from the SVT height?

You only have a few options:

Best overall option: Coilovers - You will be able to adjust the height, and the car will handle like it never has before.

Best Mix/Match: H&R Race springs/Koni Yellow Shocks - These will be lower than the SVT but you're not going to get the slammed look. Performance wise, next to coilovers this is by far the best set up for great handling.

Best All in One: H&R Cup Kit - It will be slightly soft for aggressive driving but it's definitely your best spring/strut combo out of the box. Comfortable ride for how low it is, lowest spring/strut combo out there.

Other options: There are other options that are out there that will get you low or that will be cheaper but they are either not durable (like the Eibach Sport Kit) or are hard to find (Intrax).
So many great options.. Im definitely going to be looking into all of these except for the coilovers. I know that id want those the most but i just dont have that kid of cash unfortunately..

Most likely going to go with the mix/match just because i dont necessarily want to slam it just a little lower, and i love well performing suspension. My dad has an 05 Boxster S and i love the way that thing is glued to the road, it feels like its on train tracks around corners.

Also, what are your thoughts on the eibach pro-kit? As far as durability and performance goes how does this strut and spring kit stack up against others?

Thanks[thumb]

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
I didn't see Megan Racing springs in the mix. But 2" drop with 18s with factory struts. If your interested. I will upgrade to new struts later hope to go with Koni yellows.

Stock.

Day after install.

These was taken about a month ago after I got the 18s.

I may have droped about a quarter inch since those was taken nothing drastic. I did how ever need to do some rear inner fender trimming cause the tires rubbed on turns and big bumps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey guys just ran into this thread doing a search had a quick question I'm looking into upgrading my suspension but can't decide what to go with. I heard eibach pro kit springs are 20% stiffer than stock so I was leaning towards that because I don't want tooo stiff springs. I also want some good dampers to go with it because I wanna track my car sometimes so yea basically I want some good all around suspension. The ride doesnt have to be very comfterble as long as driving it on the street is bearable and gives good handling on the track too I am also gonna upgrade sway bars but first looking to lower 1 inch and get good dampers. Oh also should I look Into after market cambers too? Sorry I'm pretty new to modding cars lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rockstar, one of the best suspensions is the H&R sport springs (they give a 1.5" drop just like the prolines) paired with Koni yellow dampners. If you go with the prolines the eibach pro dampners do work well with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys. I was wondering if it is possible to just chop the stock springs? I want a lowered look, but I don't have very much cash. There is probably more cons than pros, but I'm just curious. I want coilovers, I just cant come up with 1200 bucks at once. lol

Jake

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Shorter springs have to be significantly firmer to offset the loss of suspension travel. While cutting does increase spring rate there's no way to know precisely what your doing or what you'll end up with. The cutting process also generates heat which can easily change the tempering of the wire causing sagging problems. It's really a ghetto way of lowering a car. There's no need to spend anywhere close to 1200.00 to properly lower a car. Ford Racing makes a nice set of springs (1.5" drop) and shocks (you were going to get new shocks, right?) for around 300.00 delivered. Remember, stiffer shorter springs REQUIRE shorter firmer shocks for proper damping.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
I got megan racing springs which gives ya a 2" drop, for 88 bucks shipped off ebay and i've seen em around 120 shipped too. But like what geezer said you'll need different shocks. I put mine on stock shocks and it has taken a toll on em. I wouldn't recommend using stock shocks but I have gottin by till I can afford some nice ones. The springs ride damn good too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in Utah and there is a local classifieds page here called KSL, There is a set of springs on there for 25 bucks. I'm ok to buy those and put them on the stock shocks and be ok until I ca afford to get some different ones??

Jake

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
It's doubtful your stock shocks will be able to dampen aftermarket springs for very long (especially if they have lets say more than 20K miles on them) and you'll be replacing them very soon. The key is in my previous comment, you need a shorter firmer shock to properly dampen a shorter stiffer springs. Ride quality and handling will go to hell if you don't. Why would you want to do that for a little visual benefit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, my car has 130k on it so I think that that's out of the question. It already rides like hell. Handles okay. Where would you recommend I buy shocks and springs with about a 2" drop that doesnt cost a arm and a leg

Jake

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Well, my car has 130k on it so I think that that's out of the question. It already rides like hell. Handles okay. Where would you recommend I buy shocks and springs with about a 2" drop that doesnt cost a arm and a leg

Jake
Don't take this the wrong way but when you find out where to buy cheap shocks let me know. Other members will recommend Koni yellows. But north of $600 for four, not in my budget. I'll half to ruff ride it for a while.

101 - 120 of 185 Posts