Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some paint damage to repair, and could use advice on what a good place to go would be. I think I'll explain the backstory though, so people know what NOT to do.

Not gonna lie, I'm new at this. I'm 18, and just graduated from high school, just went off to go to a friend's graduation party. Normally I have pockets. Not today (swim trunks) so I instinctivley press the lock button, pitch the keys in the car for storage and close my doors. Excellent, besides that I locked myself out of my car. The story goes south from here.

So, i ask my friend if he's got a coathanger. I was kinda hoping someone would have experience with locking their keys in their car. So, we try the regular tricks - get other ford keys and jingle em around, etc - nothing works. Fortunatly (or so I thought) he had not one but TWO repo guys in the family who were at his grad party.

HERE IS THE MORAL OF TODAY, WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER DO!

Don't EVER trust a guy with a beer and two cigarettes in one hand and a handful of screwdrivers and shrapnel in the other to open your car! EVER. Doesn't matter if he's a repo guy. I just got home, and it's dark out so no pictures yet, but I've got all sorts of claw marks all over my front and back passenger side doors.

I blame myself, though... Should've taken the ride. A friend offered me a ride to go grab my keys, it was kinda on the way anyways. Noooo, though, I decide to try to save myself a little time, and now my car is all messed up from it...

So, I figured now would be a nice time to go get the car touched up. I've never even considered it before, just because my car is in pretty good shape... But I've got a few spots that I can see sheet metal through by the doors that will turn into rust spots soon. The part of my door that is all chewed up from my "help" with my car has given me the idea maybe it's time to fix all the little red door dings I have all over my car, and the nice scratches all over.

I'm not much of a painter myself, is there any companies that really stand out as being an amazing deal and most importantly a QUALITY job when painting my car?

I'll grab some pictures of the damage tommorow. Sorry I rambled so much, odd combination of stressed, pissed off at myself and feeling bad for my focus. It's one more notch from new to junker - the door has been pried open!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Center of the palm (god I hate being able to describe places in our state like that).

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
^^ lol im from wi, and i constantly describe my location as under the thumb...

sucks about your car tho man... my ex locked her keys in her car and insisted on the coat hanger method and i told her to wait at my house id walk and get her keys if she didnt wanna walk.. so 3 miles later i came back and found her with a hanger in her car and scratches all over, angry that she scratched the car... i walked over and unlocked it... learned that day that sometimes you just gotta do shit the long way to save you headach later...

hope you get everything fixed asap.. good luck

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
Dispraiser said:
Center of the palm (god I hate being able to describe places in our state like that).
I didn't know if you were the the metro Detroit area or not. I know of a few very good (and reasonable) body shops I could refer you to. Where you're at, all I can suggest is ask around. Good names will come to people's minds, as will bad ones. Do a little "homework" and I'm sure you'll find someplace that'll do a great job and won't hose you on the cost at the same time. Good luck !

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah, I locked my keys in my car at the park and tried to break in with a coat hanger. Our cars are very hard to break into... everything is sealed up nice and tight.

Luckily i just messed up the trim a little on the driver's side. Glued it down...

BUT that being said, I have some nasty scratches from when my dog tried to jump out of my car while it was moving at 45 mph. He had a harness that hooked up to the seat belt and i thought he wouldn't be able to move far, so i opened the window all the way for him. One mile later I hear my g/f scream and look back, and there's my dog's ass suspended halfway out of my car window, held up only by the seatbelt... scratching the bejeezus out of my door. My first thought was panic at my dog dying... my second was panic at what he was doing to my paint. Luckily it looks like it was all clearcoat damage and i'm going to go get it buffed out next weekend. I love labrador's... but they aren't the smartest creatures!

Hey Zx4STDoug. I'm in the detroit area and I'm looking for some good bodyshops to paint and repair an SVT bumper I just bought off ebay. Could you send me some info? ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what they said, all ford cuts have 10 cuts in em or something? Dunno, once we broke into a friend's Dodge Ram just jingling a set of camaro keys in the door.

Unfortunatly, all of my friends are dumbasses who drive shitty non-Foci.

I should've taken the free ride to get my keys!

This really rips me apart, inside. It's one of the things you see happen to junker cars that no one cares about. It falls in the same vein as "yeah, the front bumper is ripped off and the fender is all smashed up, but I don't care because this is my econobox for getting to the grocery store"

It bothers me because I care about my car. I hope it doesn't cost too much, there are a lot better ways to spend money than making up ground for locking my keys in my car...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
high speed buffer and polisher with various pads and abrasive compounds?

Works on carbon fiber hoods... wouldn't it work for paint as well?
Might have to take it to a body shop and get it resprayed with clearcoat?

I dunno.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I don't know if you have the side impact airbags...but as a warning to others.....NEVER SLIM JIM A CAR THAT HAS SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS....its very easily possible to set the airbags off if you hit the sensors. There was a story like 8 years ago in this area of a locksmith dying b/c of the airbag going off (this was when they first came out and were very rare). I believe some new cars even have warning of this on the windows.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, airbag sensors really suck, don't they? I got in a front end crash that caused 4500 bucks in damage and damned near totalled my car and my airbags were nowhere to be found. Someone tries to open the car up and it kills em... Amazing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I locked both sets of keys up in the trunk of my car on a Sunday. I called a locksmith and asked him to get my door unlocked. He got the doors unlocked, but the car "thought" that it was being broke into, so the trunk release button didn't work. He tried to pick the lock on the trunk and of course it didn't open. So I went to the dealership and got a door key made. I lock my keys up all the time. I used to own a 84 Chevy Caprice and I got really good at using the old coathanger to get the doors unlocked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts