Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got got my rear brakes done on my 2001 SE at a local place. They installed new rear shoes, rear wheel cylinders, rear wheel bearings and turned both rear drums. I've had an ungodly squeal when coming to a stop (usually light braking under 20 mph) and just slightly when backing up. Sometimes I even hear a squeal as I'm getting out of the car, whcih almost made me think there might be something with the shocks? I took it back and had the brakes adjusted to no avail and they later even re-installed new shoes under warranty. None of that has worked, and I'm wondering what my next course of action should be?

I've made an appointment at the dealership for next week, but I don't know if they're going to want to pretty much re-do all the work I've just had done in the last 6 months. I figured it might be something to do with the make of the non Motorcraft shoes...Asking for opinions. I'm obviously pretty clueless about car repair myself, so the do it yourself option is out the window, but I do know a couple people that might be able to help me out.

I'm just trying to find out what my best (and cheapest) course of action might be. It's embarrasing and frustrating as all hell.

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
It's embarrasing and frustrating as all hell.
im in the same boat dood got mine off a delaership and they put new brakes on for me the day i brought ithome and it was fine for about a month then all of a sudden BAM squealing you not believe...i have the drums machined and everything it stopped for abotu 2 days and it was back agian...my soloution (although i havent done yet im in the process) is a rear disc conversion...but i knoe exactly how you feel about the embarrasment it SUCKS

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If you can pull the drums yourself........lightly sand the shoes (particularly the edges of the pad material). Then coat the friction surface with some anti-squeal fluid. I use the BG brand.....others are available from most auto-parts stores. Clean out any dust from the drum also before re-assembly.

Sometimes the metal edges of the shoes make noise against the backing plate. The guy that installed the shoes was supposed to lube that area before putting on the new shoes. This noise can be heard by simply applying the brakes, or using the emergency brake without the car even moving. This is hard to fix without taking the shoes off....

Good luck...

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Well since u got new drums, im not sure if this will be a problem but i sanded down the inside of the drum alot. And used a brush to get out all of the dust and crud. I also cleaned the shit out of the backin plate and regreased the four contact points. I think the biggest thing is makin sure the drum casing itself doesnt build up with rust. I use duralast shoes and pads and i have no problem with them and when they start squealin they are covered unter lifttimewarrenty so i have no problem with runnin to autozone for free shit.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i had the same problem, coming from one side.

i was in a car accident, and the shop replaced the drum, but not the pads(i already did a brake job at that point about a week before the accident)

when they did the work on my car, they removed some grommets from the backing plate of the drum, so i sealed those in to stop excess water from coming into the drum, and i also sanded down the pads, and the friction surfance of the drum.

i also sprayed the hell out of the parts with brakleen, got all the rust and dust and dirt off them..

see the spot on the ground under the wheel assembly. that was all dirt and grime from the past few months.... pretty bad...

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
That rust u have on ur liner of ur drum, mine was like 4x as thick. I had to get a hammer and chizzle and knaw the hell out of it.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
yea, but that rust was from about 6 months. thats a brand new drum that the shop put on after i was in an accident. i guess things rust fast here..lol

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i don't even want to know what mine looksl ike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't know how to do anything myself, which sucks. I just hope that they don't try to basically re-do all the work I've just had done. I'd be really okay if they just cleaned everything out and maybe put their own shoes on it. Might be a tall order considering it's the dealership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses guys...Took it to the dealership today. As I suspected they wanted to put Ford shoes on, plus drums (which the first place never re-did, they just turned them) and a new hardware kit. I did that, and paid an arm and a leg. They also wouldn't 'guarantee' that the squeal would be gone unless I had my emergency brake cables re-done (?) and the brake fluid flushed, both of which I declined. They also tried to sell me a new battery and front brakes (which I had done two months ago-and aren't the problem) just because they weren't Ford ones. I declined that as well.

So now, I've got the new spings,clips, drums and shoes. Hopefully I can put this to bed. Just paid this sucker off, so I'm hoping it's not time to trade in!

·
Registered
199 Posts
We had this issue looked at several times for our '06 before the dealership got it right. They had TSB updates for this all the way up through last fall or so, and we've been squeal free for about a year, so hopefully they've finally figured it out with the new parts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They gave me my old drums and shoes (which are only a couple weeks old...) back. What should I do with them? The shoes look good, except for one half of one set has a big chunk taken out of the pad, maybe from when they were taking it off? Not sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Okay, after doing my rear brakes (shoes and drums) a few months ago, I've been suffering the same evil noise since. I've since taken the drum off twice and re-cleaned and re-applied good quality friction lube. I've spent probably a total of 6+ hours between the original replacement and successive recleanings. The noise would disappear for a few days, but faithfully returned. I also sanded the edges down on the shoes on one side (did not get the chance to do the other one). It is better now than it was for the first while.

When I removed the drums I found two things. First, there was a TON of dust. Two, that the lube seemed to be virtually gone in no time. This leads me to believe that the problem is mostly due to a dust buildup. I believe it collects around the edges of the shoe, and causes a vibration in the drum that sounds like squealing. It gets much worse when my drums are hot after stop and go traffic. It is generally un-noticable at most other times.

My suggestions are: be sure to lube anywhere that metal meets metal in the drum (but make sure NONE gets on the shoe surface), to sand the edges of the shoes a bit, make a slight bevel. This prevents the collection of dust along these edges. Also, if possible, remove the drums after driving for the first 500 km (more or less, depending on driving habits) and rinse the dust out well. I used brake cleaner, but this removes the lubricant, so I took it apart again and reapplied the lube (so much fun). Repeat after another 1000 km. I think most people will find this reduces the noise to a minimum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts