Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey, im going to do this mod over spring break but do it a little diff. im going to take the pipe and expand it so it covers the whole opening on the top of the car. Then im just going to take a length of material that looks like the stock plastic and create a little curved wedge for a little 1 inch high deflector that will push more air in at higher speed. Even if this little pressure scoop doesnt improve the mod at all it will make the mod a little more cool to show people your true ram air duct.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
HRW you've been a busy man this winter, what with the lip and the hood vents and the homebrew CAI. Long winter, huh?? [:p]

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks....yeah...long winter.....still got a couple of ideas on the back burner...
Ray,
I thought of the resonator removal. Would have been the same I guess. I just happen to have a spare resonator laying around and figured the straighter the connection to the firewall the better...plus it looks factory...also, I didn't have to be concerned with the shaping/sealing of the hose connection to the box...since the hole in the resonator is round and the hose just pops in place and seals itself. Also, the resonator itself provides some measure of protection from any water since it has a "receptical" shaped into it's bottom. I plan on tapping into it with a small line to allow for a drain...I don't believe it is necessary, but it's not a bad idea for a little insurance.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Pardon the stupid questions, but you are just attaching a hose to the resonator and running that up to the cowel?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Hotrodwagon, since you have the handy little device/software, maybe you can do a small test for me.
Mofocus installed a 3inch dryer duct from the bottom of the air box to the front of the bottom grille. I'm wondering if it's worth doing this mod. The stock snokle is removed of course.
Meaning, will it decrease the air temp and will I get more air forced in to my air box.

·
Registered
845 Posts
This is awsome you're doing this mod (suprised no one else tried it). A little spoiler (about a half inch to an inch tall) between the hood and the cowl area will make this work better, however, (I gotta be the bubble burster...[thumbd] ) just like the ram air scoop, I don't think you'll be driving fast enough for this to work well. Maybe around 150mph+ like in NASCAR. Now there's functional cowl induction in action!

You'll still see slightly cooler air temps with that though...possibly negligable. I think you should run it to your airbox instead of the resonator. The resonator's just more turns and restriction.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I would think the snorkle placement "upside down" would possible have a better ram air effect, but the temps could not be any better than with the grille cut out. I got within 2 degrees of ambient temp with my set up...and the cowl only helped at certain speeds. I can't see the lower placement making up the 2 degree diff since the snorkel is still in the engine compartment soaking up some heat. But you certainly might be forcing more air in that way.

As to my mod making any type of difference, yes a direct connection to the airbox would be better, skipping the resonator entirely. This first setup was a trial to test temps. Any indication of a temp drop due to the additioin of the cowl hook up indicated the engine is drawing air from this source. As the article on ram air states, the biggest restriction is the airbox itself.
Since I intended this to be an inexpensive diy mod for those not looking to spend alot of money on an aftermarket intake, doing the HRW mod is just another option to give the stock airbox more breath. I figured it was a very short route to the airbox, and with the small flow capability of the resonator openning, the shorter the route the better. I left the resonator on to collect the slighly pressurized air, letting the air build up in the resonator (granted, a very small volume), so as to be the first bit drawn when the air intake starts drawing from this source. Which apparently it does. As far as attaching dryer hose and running it to the front lower grille from the resonator, this is probably as effective. I just took another approach.
I kind of wanted a more factory look. I have to look into measuring manifold pressure to see if there is any decent efficiency gained...but by the temp drop...atleast something good is happening...more that just a resonator...

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I tried inverting the stock snorkel just you guys were talking about up there. I extended the braided hose using 3" dryer duct with the scoop attached to an existing hole underneath the radiator support. This seems to increase the ATX shift point at a slightly higher rpm, but not by much. I did notice very minimal throttle response also. The only drawback is that I used a vinyl type ducting that "ballooned and constricted" because of the changing air pressure within the intake. The only benefit from this that I considered was the slight change in intake temp but definitely hurt torque numbers from such a cheap design from hardware store parts. Shortlived fun, I guess...

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is not gonna be seen years later but does anyone still have pictures of this mod. The cowl to resonater part?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts