Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 ZX3 Duratec 5-spd has seriously disappointed in really only one area - hills. Unlike my '99 Contour SE V-6 5-spd, the Focus has absolutely no guts climbing anything but the smallest incline. Where the Contour would only drop enough speed to cancel the cruise on the steepest longest hills, the Focus has a hard time keeping cruise engaged on most hills.

So, what is the best one or two mods to help with this problem? I really don't want to spend a lot of money on this and I don't want to reduce MPG. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Down-shift to fourth, or cancel the cruise and use your foot. All these smaller displacement engines have a similar issue with hills and the cruise. Nothing cheap I know about will help you....sorry.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
shoot...your ZX3 had more TQ than most foci! 2.3 duratec.......wish I had one of those!!!!

downshift and get into it!!!![driving]

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Throttle body, header (if you can find a Cossie, go for it), cams, stickier tires

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
just downshift dude, i have no prob with hills. OF course i havent had my cruise for a while.....[:(]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Has no guts???? You've got the 2.3 duratec in a zx3.......
I wish I could find one of those for sale.

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
I just speed up will still in overdrive and keep it in that gear w/o gear change, It feels like I got a good balance with my focus.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i have exactly the same car and was always VERY impressed with its hill-climbing abilities...

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Youre having troubles with hills in G-Funk? My duri 2.0 EATS hills here in missoula. Intake dude. good bang for the buck is the steeda. i absolutely love mine!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Another question - how many people or how much stuff are you hauling in your car? I have no problems with hills because it's usually just me. Cruise kicked off for the first time on a long hill last weekend, but there were two of us and a car full of camping equipment...

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
he has a pzev right? so its gonna have a bit less power than other 2.3s. but yeah, intake and header/exhaust. id say the header would probly be the biggest thing for hills.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To answer some of the questions: it's usually just me in the ZX3, it will go up just fine if I drop down to 4th (but that sorta defeats the purpose of cruise), driving all over north-central and western Montana - so we're talking about hills that start at 3,000 feet in elevation and above. captcurt_18 - The one that really gets me is leaving the Helena valley for Great Falls. It cuts off every time on the Helena side, but can usually make it over (just barely) coming from GF.

Sounds like a CAI would provide some benefit, but in looking at the Steeda info it doesn't appear they offer one for an '04 2.3L. I know this model has some sort of super-long-life factory filter. Is it even possible to replace the factory breather with something like the Steeda?

Thanks for all the input!

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
yes you could replace it (the factory filter) but you should just get a CAI. And make sure if you do have a PZEV you get the one w/ the breather hose in it....and using CC up hills w/ a 5 speed prolly isnt the best thing for the MTX

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
get a cai, its better, and yes, they make one, and yes, u can replace it. look at the CAI duratec questions thread. everything u need to know is in there.

edit:

just saw ur post, guy, after i posted....good call on the air hose.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts