Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!! I'm new here on the forums, but no stranger to the car building world. I came to this forum because of my intrest on the ZX3, needing something new to build, since I had to sell off everything when my kids was born. I've been in several forums in the past, during some of my builds and found out quickly, just how helpful forums are. I'm not Chip Foose or even trying to claim a pro builder. I have 17yrs as a mechanic experience and was turboing and drifting back in the late eighties, lol, before it was even cool. I had one of the first DSM's, the Shelby turbocharger, even though the DSM guy's now a days won't claim it as a true DSM. I've seen alot of things and done alot of things, and I've been on this forums trying to cram like a med student before finals. I read that Tom is closing shop (which I hope isn't true) and I think to myself, not again. I've seen this many times in the past and is has more to do with us builders than one might think. I've heard only great things about Toms work and research. His quality and craftmanship has not been surpassed by anything out on the market, more than likely it never will. The blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention the hours he has put in to bring us these quality parts, but yet many poeple think that he's overpriced. Not!!! As a car builder, the quality of the parts make the build and when a machinist/ speedshop specializes on a particular car, a lot of research and quality goes with that. I've heard poeple say that his kits are too high and you can get the same power elsewhere for a cheaper price, but what are you really getting? You see some big companies that rather depends on quanity as to quality, does just enough research to market a product. The young and dumb flock in to grab the product by looking at the price, other than how long it might last, or the quality of the product. It's a shame, later you see that same product fill up the classified sections of the forums, or how it broke just a couple years down the road and now they're out thousands of dollars. When they could've spent alittle more, been a little bit more patient and took time to do it right from the begining. Have you ever seen a great build in one of the car magazines that have stated, "and thanks to such and such speedshop or machinist for dedicating all the time and hard work to make this build possible". The build is great because of this quality and craftmanship, or it would read, " I built it cheaper, thanks Ebay!" or "Instead of spending timeless hours building, we decided just to bolt on this on a factory engine!" Yeah get real! What makes a build great, is the great people you have like Tom, that takes no shortcuts to make a buck. Will stand behind anything he builds, or will go out of his way help one of his costumers. If he does close his shop down, it would be the greatest loss of the focus, and the forums. Building cars is a craft, to do it right takes money, skill, and pateints! Makes your car really out shine the ones that run out and buys the cheapest bolt ons. The old saying, "you get what you pay for!" comes to mind. We need to support the ones that support us, hopefully we can keep him around longer, its a win win situation! I personally think Tom should claim the title "GODFATHER" OF THE FI FOCUS, and I hope he's still around when I'm building my focus!!

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
First off, Welcome to FocusFanatics.com!

And I will be quick, because I'm tired as hell but, when it comes to FI, I personally would never "cheap out" on something that has the potential to kill You if it fails. And People think Toms' work is expensive now, wait 'til He no longer makes them...

Again, welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Thats a pretty awesome tribute! As one of his customers I agree with everything you have said. I went to Tom b/c I wanted to get it done right and have a strong car in the end. As some of you may know it was a long process. We got to try out a few new things a long the way and I learned a great deal. Tom was always honest and upfront with me even when it was not what I wanted to hear. He highly suggested I move toward the cast manifold to get away from the cracking issues I was having with my log style. He then mentioned the comp turbo and to our surprise it out performed the turbonetics I had to begin with. It was an honor to have him doing some preliminary testing on his new kit on my car. Although it was a lot of money and time, if I were to build another Focus I would go right back to Tom's!!!

Thanks again!

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
It is very nice to read something like that. I have always agreed with Tom and he has been right on so many of my different projects. He has proven his self to me and I wish he wasn't leaving so he could tune my next project. I do agree he is the "Godfather" lol

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
that's so cute

im not gonna lie, i dont know much about tom or his work. ive been a member of the focaljet a lot longer than focusfantics and ive never seen him post over there. ive heard both good and bad things about him, but a lot more good than bad, especially here. i know he stands by his work and believes in his products which is how it should be. he seems like a stand up guy who wont cut corners or be dishonest to customers. Godfather of the FI focus, id need a lot of convincing to give him that title, but he has definitely done a lot for the focus community and his following over here seems to back him pretty well so i guess he does something right :)

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
Tom is still going to do remote tuning and such. His stroker kits wills till be availble to be built to yours specs. Everything is not going away. Just Tom..and he's headed FocusST country. Grrrrr! [:D]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the CGI blocks? I'm going to need one of these bad boys first, before I even think about turbo, dang it I need more money faster! Maybe congress will give me a bail out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am new to the forums as a registered member but have been lurking here for quite some time now. I don't always agree with Tom, but every person has different ideas, and some have different data. As a shop owner myself, I know the hours it takes to bring quality craftsmanship, good prices, and solid performance to the customer. I also know first hand what it can do to your family life.

It would be a shame to see Tom close up shop for he is very well respected around here. From what I have seen of his work it is top notch!! Best of Luck to you Tom however things turn out! (even if I don't always agree with you.) [cheers]

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I am new to the forums as a registered member but have been lurking here for quite some time now. I don't always agree with Tom, but every person has different ideas, and some have different data. As a shop owner myself, I know the hours it takes to bring quality craftsmanship, good prices, and solid performance to the customer. I also know first hand what it can do to your family life.

It would be a shame to see Tom close up shop for he is very well respected around here. From what I have seen of his work it is top notch!! Best of Luck to you Tom however things turn out! (even if I don't always agree with you.) [cheers]
you are a shop owner in Springfield? What shop?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Props to Tom for dyno tuning my spi when he hadn't had much experience with them yet.
He did an amazing job with it. He's definitely the FI Godfather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts