Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know what it's called. It's on my wifes 06 SES. The filter that does not need chaging for ....god knows when. Should I keep it or change it to an aftermarket unit? If so what are my choices.....will I see or feel any perfromance increase? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
if you are talking about the stock airbox filter thingy...REMOVE IT!!!

it's the biggest waste of money to replace and your fofo will response better and youw ill have more tourqu and HP

Even if you just do the "stealth CAI" you will see a noticible difference...and it's only like 20 bucks (the cost of a filter)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
^^Yeah, if you have a restriction indicator, go by what that says. Otherwise, don't touch it. The more you fool around with an air filter, blowing it out and what not, or even changing the element before it's necessary to do so, the more dirt invariably ends up in the engine.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^^That filter is totally sealed in the plastic housing.....you can only see a little bit of foam at the intake hole, if you remove the whole housing.

The vacuum indicator read ok on my '06 at 30k. But I suspected a problem because of poor MPG. So I put a Steeda SRI setup on it, and totally removed the entire stock setup. I gained 3MPG......plus now I can see the filter, and know when to clean it. The stock setup is a P.O.S. Thanks Ford....

That horrible setup was only used for three years.....thankfully it's gone now. Don't be tempted to get a CAI. Those things are a big hazard in rainy weather.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
For the cost of replacing the filterbox, your just shy of purchasing a cai, or better yet the steeda kit (which places its cone filter behind the headlight in a box).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the stealth CAI a kit or just a cone filter on the end of my longlife filter? Do I just purchase a k and n filter?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
From what I've read here, the "stealth" CAI is simply a cone filter that replaces the entire stock filter box. The rest of the Ford plastic intake is used (except the rear snorkel).

What you've got then is a completely exposed filter, very close to the pavement. It gets dirty fast, and can suck up water. The Steeda SRI setup is superior in many ways.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the how to page. It looks like it fits under the that long life air box. looks like everything stays in place just the cone filter on the bottom. ?????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts