Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 25 but when i was 19 my02 zx3 an svt journey started .. first i had a bright lime green zx3 with a silver frt bumper and black rear an looked like the skirts were ripped off it was lowered with mismatched wheels to match the rest of the car. with the intake and magnaflow exhaust and the intake made it bearable to drive . everyone around knew the car as "the booger" embarrassing when you meet new people and they are like ive seen that car your the one that drives that lol (palm to face)..then i saw the svt an i just had to have it i dug into the life insurance check i got from my father passing away an searched for 6 months before i found one in my price range an for 6k cash and that was $1500 cheaper than any others on the market back in '08 so i drove 5 hours to get this very nice'02 infra red svtf it was owned by an older gentlemen an the car looked an drove like it was brand new except for the paint chips on the front bumper and broken fog lights from driving on gravel roads an with only 61k on the odometer it was a steal i handed over the cash an burnt off for home i was like what a sucker in the back of my mind i was thinking why so cheap then i forgot how gas prices had just rose to 4.36 a gallon for premium an every one was saying it would keep rising i though surly this why he didnt want it. that 5 hour trip only took 3 to get back an it was smooth sailing from there then 3 month later i would notice a little whining noise (like a super charger but really quite only hear it when the radio an air was off )before an after i would shift.. an every now an then when i would go to push the clutch in an go to put it in gear an it would be like the clutch wasnt in an it would grind an i would quickly go back to nuetral an i would try again an it would go right in an it would make me second guess maybe i was pushing it in all the way then it started to be a little more common an i read somewhere it was just the getrag that they had problems so on my way to work not shifting hard or getting on it i was getting up to speed on the freeway and when i went from 3 to 4 nothing an then it wouldnt go in any gear i turned it off an managed to get it in 1st and when i started the car and tried to go it just jerked forward an stalled out luckly i wasn't far from home i walked an got the booger an met the tow truck driver who took forever and he follow an he dropped it off an there it sat for 6 months to a year tranny problems plauge this svtf an me being that young with minimum wage at 6.15 an no money left after blowing it all i was out of luck with a clutch that went for at least 600. the 1st time it was fixed my mother paid it for a christmas present the mechanic said it was the slave cylinder got stuck open and leaked the fluid on the clutch ruining it like water on card board. it ran like a gem after that but a couple months later it happened again an i had gone 250 miles over my warranty with mechanic an they said there was nothing they could do without paying for it again an 1400 for part and labor they claim isnt cheap an for it to just do it again i was starting to gett weary an again it sat for about 9 months an again it was in the shop courtesty of my new step father trying to squeeze his way in to the family so i was like ok free fix and i dont have to pay for it wrong shouldnt have let me countinueslly held it over my head until my mother divorced his ass thank the lord lol sorry anyways then it gets hazy from the drugs an drinking...but this time it stayed working for a good 6 months but wasnt driving it that much because of my job just home an back an to run errand and then i noticed the grinding thing again an i was like oh great any day now its gonna go then i was on the freeway an this dude in this cobra was taunting me with his svt wanting to see how svt had made the focus anybetter an a downshift from 6th to 3rd and it was all down hill from there an this time it was stuck in gear an when i went to push the clutch it wouldnt release it from its gear luckly i was at my exit an just cruzed to the house an when i slowed down enough i got it out gear but it wouldnt go back but since i was still moving i manage to get it in 2nd an made it to the drive way an there it sat for almost 2 years by this time the parts were a little cheaper an me sobering up i was able to afford the fix i bought the clutch my self for 400 on the interweb an took it up there and 150 buck an boom back on the road she went to only have a hose bust the long one that goes from the radatior to the back of the block an a fouled plug wire i was finally happy then it happen i was at a red light at the same exit it happened twice before but it was different the shifter was limp wouldnt go in any gear i was like okay im pissed an i got out an with a few more years of wisdom under my belt i had learned a thing or 2 about these cars i popped the hood an went to check out the tranny an when i moved the airbox i noticed the linkage had popped off an i put it back on an went about my business then it started to just come off easier an easier while i was at red lights or after only shifting twice an i had just got fired so no more money an then it kept dying the altenator was supposed to blame great something else an at the time there wasnt to much info on the linkage failure on the forums so i didnt know what else to do so i used my "southern engineering" to zipp tie the linkage back on an it held then i managed to get an alternator. when i went to put it in i noticed it wasnt the alternator, it was the plug wires so i took it back and bought the plug tail then i went to jail for 2 years then again the car sat until early last year i wired up the altenator but the lack of matinance over the years showed paint faded a little in spot an scratches an dings all over from the family an a full tank of gas more than likely that had gone bad nut i ran it any ways an the need for tires breaks and all the fluids o2 sensor behind the cat an i was lucky enough that my mother in law paid for it all an back on the road it went and with a pregnant wife i thought i would just sell the svtf after all the probs but i was so busy working building fences an i would drive 45 there an back another hour an a half up to the dallas fort worth area 3 times a week and the car was holding strong i was surprised only other things that had happened was the driver side heated seat would work when it wanted an when it did it only worked on the lower back an would get extremely to hot one night i slept in the pass seat an turned on both seats accidently an was awoke to a burning driver seat just think how fed up i am at this point but i love the car..but anyways back to it 9 months after the needed matinance an all the driving I got to do..on my way to report to the judge for being released from the program the car starts to die an lose all power an i down shift 4th 3rd 2nd each time the rpm go up to about 3k an with the gas pedal down still losing power im like WTF I SHOULD HAVE SOLD YOU..i made it to the first exit an parked it im freaking out about being late an going away for another 2 years for not showing up i checked the oil it looked low so i added some i had in the car an it still wouldnt start i was like oh great now its really dead... i made it to court thanks to a good friend and when i made it back they had a tow truck about to scoop it up so i ran an jumped in an the guy said he couldnt take it with me in it stupid saw me an called cause i pulled in their parking lot.. so after getting towed my boss said oh it sounds like the timing belt an he would only charge 150 to do it i knew he had a rep for working with cars from others but he didnt have a clue on how to do it once he got into it then he looked it up an found out you needed the special tools to do the timing he tired to with things he tried to rig up an then when he was done it still didnt start an then he saw that the svtf was a inferance motor an the belt was missing half its teeth an he told me he did all that work for nothing an that was the end of the svtf and its been about a year now i bought a new head from a member here an have done all the research on this motor an im in the process of pulling the head an seeing what went on inside the motor an getting the new one on if its not to bad if it is im afraid im might have to let it go as is an making barley anythingh without seeing it run again but until then im in it for the long haul also after all that in the last almost 7 years of having the dang thing it only has 95000 miles so i only got to drive it 35000 miles that really sucks but if you have managed to read this your patience is apperciated and i probably shouldnt have wrote this but i was seriously bored so let me know what yall think

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
The water pump KOed the timing belt. Yeah, it was probably dead, but you should've checked that before you bought a cylinder head. I'd have taken the motor apart before I bought anything. That's just good practice. You might have other problems that would cost more than the car is worth to repair. The water pump, for example, should've been replaced with the timing belt.

Also... please use capitals and periods. If you don't, the site thinks you're a bot and auto-moderates your post.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Shit thats a long winded post

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Wow

Could use a space or two to make it readable....

Gotta find someone with a clue to help sort that out now, do it right or all the work/$ is wasted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry i was up late. It just kinda turned into something that just kept going an going. Thanks for the advice

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,126 Posts
Could ya edit that with some spaces to be readable?

That is by far the longest post I have skimmed lol

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,126 Posts
Why write it if no one wouldn't read it? That had to take you a while to write out.

Best of luck with this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was more of a rant..by the time it was all said an done with, i was like oh crap thats to long no one will care to read it all. Come to find out they cant read it due to my poor grammar. Lmao

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You found a helpful site, where folks DO try to read & help out.

Replacing the head is a LARGE job, and you need some experienced help plus a bit of reading to even attempt it.

A manual for specs & info. is a good start.

Don't forget that new head bolts, head & valve cover gaskets, timing belt kit w/pulley & adjuster, plus a timing tool set is the MINIMUM list if nothing else is done at the same time like the water pump/serpentine belt/tensioner.

Reading & understanding the process is key, you DON'T want to get it wrong & damage that replacement head. Rotating the engine by hand after doing the timing is a critical step to help prevent that, as you can STOP turning it at any resistance to back off & recheck.

Luck

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I'd like to help the OP by donating some of the extra stuff I have laying around. Here are some of the extra ones I have at the moment. I have a bunch of Periods, Commas, Bangs and Carrots, but only one extra semi-colon. There is a How-To use em' somewhere else online.

!!!!!!!!

^^^^^

;

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thank you for your input. I know I have poor grammar, so you can keep your donations buddy. I had already said i was gonna edit it when i got home..i haven't wrote anything longer than a text message since high school

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
It really was meant to be a light hearted joke and not to beat you up. Sorry. XOXO.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey there bro. I here ya, I'm 20 and also had an interesting car history, this site is great, and has some really great people. I hope you stick around!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really was meant to be a light hearted joke and not to beat you up. Sorry. XOXO.
Its okay man no worries its just you were like the 4th one to say something about it. I was just looking for some feed back, maybe someone had some of the same experiences. Or Maybe some one could enlighten me on some of things that went wrong with the darn thing. Or what i could've, should've done

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
We see SVT's loosing timing belts as early as 100,000 just due to age (since the newest is now 10 yrs. old), so with the disaster that results from problems there many on the site recommend changing that closer to 60,000 now to try to avoid such nightmares.

First question to any new member posting here with an SVT is 'have you changed the belt" since we hate to see a subsequent "I shoulda" post.

When they were newer, some had a recall on the clutch & I'm sure many were never done. Matching parts up & doing it right later can be a problem for any shop that hadn't heard of that. No issue if clutch/flywheel/slave cyl. are all done at once, mismatches can occur (if it works at all) from what I've heard of trying to do it cheaper. Might explain your repeated problems in the past there.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry i haven't got around to edit my rant ive been busy..I finally got the head off an 10 out 16 valves bent.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Wade. If you need any help I have a head with good valves sitting in my garage. If you want a trade swap thing I can help. Oh and I build/rebuild these cars. Just pm me if you want or need any info. And tell the grammar nazis to piss off.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wade. If you need any help I have a head with good valves sitting in my garage. If you want a trade swap thing I can help. Oh and I build/rebuild these cars. Just pm me if you want or need any info. And tell the grammar nazis to piss off.

^^^^^

People like you make the forums a nice place to stick around

1 - 20 of 21 Posts