Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's on-going for me.....this Focus is not as bad as some cars with wind noise, but it's there. Fight it by cranking up the volume......or fix the problem(s).

I'm assuming all your door seals are present and not split. The worst offender....the area of the door/fender closest to the mirror. There's an open area at the top of the fender that lets in air.....this air enters the space between the door and the body. There is only one seal here between you and the wind noise.

I closed off that opening with a tube of foam, made from some pipe insulation, shoved into the opening visible with the door open.

After that there are a few more mods possible here....Using a roll of automotive "D" channel from Ace Hardware, I lined the edges of the mirror switch housing. When the door is closed, this new seal closes the opening between the mirror switch housing, and the body.

Last mod in this area.....I added more "D" channel, on the very edge of the dash. This totally seals off the air space between the dash and the door trim panel.

How far can you go with this sort of sealing? Pretty far. I'll stop doing this sort of modding when I can't hear any more wind noise. [thumb]

In a previous thread, I posted pictures of how to seal off the mirror switch from air leaks

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Your pretty much left with two options for wind noise, seal up everything you can, or crack the stereo. I usually opt for option B.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
^^ Horrible wind noise is a problem with 05-07 cars. The 04 I drove which caused me to fall in love with the Focus had no wind noise at all. I nearly returned the car I ordered due to the increase in wind noise.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no accurate way to measure the improvement....even if you use a DB meter. I've got one, but there are too many variables involved to give numbers. I've used these sorts of mods before, so I know they are effective.

As you're at highway speed, move your left arm/hand back and forth in this area. If the noise changes....chances are you've got a wind noise, and this spot is usually a critical area.

Here's what it looks like with the door closed.....and yes it's helped out.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On to the next phase....I'm working on the driver front area for now, since wind noise in that area is the most irritating to the driver.

I added another seal on the rear edge of the driver door. Ford places a seal on the passenger door (does the same thing), but that only seals the upper 1/2 of the door. This seal takes care of the lower 1/2. I could have put this seal on the front edge of the rear door.....but that looked to be vulnerable to ripping loose as you entered the car. Where it is now looks ok.

The only problem here.....make certain there is a 1/8" gap between the edge of the door and the seal. Any closer and if you close the rear door after the front door, the seal might be pinched. A two door car wouldn't have this problem. I'm still working on it.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts