Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know why the the eninge is turned around in the Duratec-equipped Foci? I'm not losing any sleep over it, I'm just wondering why.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
They corrected it so it is how it supposed to be. Air in the front, exhaust out the back. No more loop-de-loops.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Egz said:
They corrected it so it is how it supposed to be. Air in the front, exhaust out the back. No more loop-de-loops.
Ah. I thought about that, but I thought it didn't make much difference. Guess it does.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
So you can heat the car with the header...
Makes a mighty fine heater that's on whenever the engine is on.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
So you can heat the car with the header...
Makes a mighty fine heater that's on whenever the engine is on.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
they did this in the neon's forever, and finally the japanese are starting to do this as well, just one less bend, however, inthoery, there is less backpressure so you could say there is a loss of torque...

lol honda's 90ftlbos of torque is now 60ftlbs

·
Registered
56 Posts
i didnt know hondas had torque!!!! doesn't seem like they have any at least, you might want to check that data..... hahahah

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
they did this in the neon's forever, and finally the japanese
[...]
lol honda's 90ftlbos of torque is now 60ftlbs
I'd edit your post, and add 'anese' after 'jap'
being lazy works for most words, but not that one.

WORD EDITED BY S2 (MODERATOR)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
yes, i didn't know Jewish American Princesses made cars[scratch]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
How about just asians, since korea makes cars as well....

[rolleyes]

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i thought thats the way engines normally were b/c all of the cars i've had were like that..i dont like the exhaust in the front it just looks strange

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Backpressure has nothing to do with torque, I'm sick of that myth and all the idiots that perpetuate it.

The intake in front exhaust in back is the most logical orientation.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
gitar111 said:
yes, i didn't know Jewish American Princesses made cars[scratch]

hahhahhaaah

Score one for gitar!

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
aero_student said:
Backpressure has nothing to do with torque, I'm sick of that myth and all the idiots that perpetuate it.

The intake in front exhaust in back is the most logical orientation.
Originally posted @ FJ
What about backpressure if i put a 3" exhaust on my car?

This is the question I pretty much hear from everyone. The truth is, backpressure is NOT what you need to worry about. Backpressure is only the measure of restriction in the exhaust. You need to worry about EXHAUST GAS VELOCITY the most. You also need to worry about SCAVENGING, which has a direct relation to the velocity of the exhaust gases. Let me explain a little bit better. While your car is running, there are exhaust gases constantly moving thru the exhaust tubing. These gases moving out of your exhaust tubing can also be used to "pull" exhaust gases out of your cylinders. This situation is called scavenging. Typically, the faster the gases are moving, the more benefits you get from scavenging. Keep in mind that your exhaust header/manifolds affect the scanvenging a lot also, but I will not go into that right now. Heres where it gets a little tricky.

The larger the tubing, the SLOWER the exhaust gases are flowing. This will cause LESS scavenging, but will flow MORE than a smaller tube.

The smaller the tubing, the FASTER the exhaust gases are flowing. This will cause MORE of a scavenging effect, but will flow LESS than the larger tube. If you reduce your tubing size too much, the benefits of scavenging will quickly go away and you will be stuck with tubing that is too small for your motor...period.

People always claim they lose low end TQ because of the "backpressure" they lost with a larger exhaust. What they are really losing is the scavenging effect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts