Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Okay so I have found the AR103’s they are the Autolite racing plugs they say.... but it’s a copper plug. I’m going to gap them at .55 from what I am reading. So let’s see what happens here. I’m still tinkering with the little odds and ends things on this car like the stupid rattle sound that is intermittent. Sometimes when the heats on. Sometimes when the car is in gear and foot on brake. I really think it’s the flex pipe because it’s beat up. I had Bosch plugs in my car and it ran like S*** I swapped plugs yesterday with the NGK 4177 plugs that they said are the cross ref of the Autolite 103’s. I gapped them at .55 and it seemed to change a bit but after car heated up it had a rougher idle. So I found the AR103’s and I’m going to swap them today.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I thought the purpose of using said plug was to gap at .55 to get better performance from the motor? So your saying just drop the plug in the @ the predetermined gap it came with?

·
FF Affiliate
30,688 Posts
The AR plugs have the wire/strap cut back , if you gap them like other plugs the gap will be bigger then you think and not run good , the AR plugs are tricky to adjust

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,688 Posts
On the AR series plugs it how you gap them that people get wrong because of the way the strap on the plug is cut back , remember your setting GAP so with the AR series you have to change how you set the gap and check it , its best to use the old plug gapper that has the round wire off the gapper , the old school round gappers with the U shaped wire style gappers

Tom

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the AR series plugs it how you gap them that people get wrong because of the way the strap on the plug is cut back , remember your setting GAP so with the AR series you have to change how you set the gap and check it , its best to use the old plug gapper that has the round wire off the gapper , the old school round gappers with the U shaped wire style gappers

Tom

241 - 256 of 256 Posts