Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Let that be a warning to you about washing engines - power wash or boots not sealing well got water in the center from prev. washing. Then plugs rusted for the rust you found.

Oil is from a leaking valve cover - how badly depends on how much oil there & how long since anyone's been in there (sounds like a LONG time).

104's would have been fine, that matches stock for heat range, NGK's aren't the best for these per reports, stock better for a long life plug.

Very thin electrode is typical for the stock type, they'll look pretty white normally for the stock plugs - maybe a little tan further down the porcelain.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi peeps, I read the first post in detail and have browsed the rest and have a question... I have a 04 with the 2.3 PZEV. The first post specifically said it was meant to apply to the non-PZEV, but from some posts in here some people seem to be using the recommended plugs for PZEV applications as well. Basically my question is, does the logic and recommendations in the first post apply to PZEV motors as well?

I'm tempted to try the copper 103 or 104's over-gapped slightly to .055". I've known for a while that OEM's leave some efficiency on the table with under-gapped plugs in the name of life span. Which makes sense, the average consumer isn't going to change plugs every 20K so they're going to end up getting worse mileage when they have plugs that are 50K old and should've been changed 30K prior.

Funny how familiar this story is, my toy is a 90 bronco and those early non-MAF EFI Ford motors love a spark plug with a bigger gap, a hotter coil and some extra timing. It's amazing how much better those truck motors run (and get better mileage) with a cheap copper plug, a big gap, a hot coil and like 4-6* of timing over stock.

The Focus is just a DD that I'm trying to force a little performance and extra economy out of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just purchased and installed AP103's (platinum) Autolites. the price wasn't bad at all compared to any coppers, but the coppers were out of stock. THe power increase seems to be about what you explained, maybe 5 hpw. It's enough to be pretty noticeable too. Why are the platinum's on the don't use? because of the price?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I wanted to wait a bit before posting my results.

Installed a SRI from factory filter box.
Installed the AR103's a week later. have been running 1-2 months and my MPG has dropped from around 28-30 to 23-25mpg.
I figured maybe it was be enjoying the new found "power" because it certainly does feel peppier, (I even got a ticket for unsafe start, LOL) so I tried to drive it normal, how I always use to, with only the occasional, pedal to the metal. And still getting the same, lower MPG.

07 2.0 Auto, 150k, thoughts? Winter blend gas that much of a difference?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts

Installed the AR103's a week later. have been running 1-2 months and my MPG has dropped from around 28-30 to 23-25mpg.
I figured maybe it was be enjoying the new found "power" because it certainly does feel peppier, (I even got a ticket for unsafe start, LOL) so I tried to drive it normal, how I always use to, with only the occasional, pedal to the metal. And still getting the same, lower MPG.

Yea + the cold winter doesn't help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks, will ride them out and she what happens in the spring.
Unrelated, performance gurus suggest the same plugs in my sons 2000 Grand Prix GTP.

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
For the boosted guys, I've had great success with the NGK BR6EF (PN: 3177) and BR7EF recessed tip plugs. The shallower tip puts the spark further away from the piston and gives just a hair more tuning room. They also are much less likely to cause pre-ignition since the short tip dissipates heat faster. A 1-step colder (-6 range) recessed tip plug will act like a 2-step colder (-7 range) regular plug. Another bonus is I've had 3 sets of them through my car and each set came pre-gapped right out of the box at .026-.028". I didn't have to make any gap adjustments with them and just dropped them in.

·
FF Affiliate
30,604 Posts

Go back to your stock air box and I bet you will pick up your MPG

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,604 Posts
For the boosted guys, I've had great success with the NGK BR6EF (PN: 3177) and BR7EF recessed tip plugs. The shallower tip puts the spark further away from the piston and gives just a hair more tuning room. They also are much less likely to cause pre-ignition since the short tip dissipates heat faster. A 1-step colder (-6 range) recessed tip plug will act like a 2-step colder (-7 range) regular plug. Another bonus is I've had 3 sets of them through my car and each set came pre-gapped right out of the box at .026-.028". I didn't have to make any gap adjustments with them and just dropped them in.
A good autolite for boost is the AR96 this is still the AR cut back wire technology as well as the lowered tip and its about 5 steps colder then stock

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,604 Posts
Thanks Tom, but that aint going to happen, lol. Ill deal with it. Since it takes about 18 bucks to fill it up when the low fuel light comes on.
The point to the test is , if your MPG goes back up then check your install good and if the SRI is installed correctly then I can do a custom tune to get your MPG back and much much more

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
The point to the test is , if your MPG goes back up then check your install good and if the SRI is installed correctly then I can do a custom tune to get your MPG back and much much more

Tom

That giant stock air box is long gone, was not paying $500 to replace the lifetime filter. SRI is installed correctly, really only one way it fits together.

How about a tune. I have an SCT 2 that I use for the mustang. I store that in the winter and drive the focus. Is is possible to flash the mustang back to stock during storage, then use the tuner for the focus and vice versa?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
That giant stock air box is long gone, was not paying $500 to replace the lifetime filter. SRI is installed correctly, really only one way it fits together.

How about a tune. I have an SCT 2 that I use for the mustang. I store that in the winter and drive the focus. Is is possible to flash the mustang back to stock during storage, then use the tuner for the focus and vice versa?
Nope doesn't work that way, you'll need a flasher for the foci.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Think you might actually do that, one car tuned at a time.

Learned more recently that it counts uses by different cars used on, not the number of times switched, so it would count that as two uses despite switching more than once.

That was for Xcal 3 that has 5? separate uses avail., don't remember uses for the XCal 2.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts