Focus Fanatics Forum banner

181 - 200 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just switched to NRG laser platinum after using Bosch Platinum +4 for several years. Looks like I won't be going back to them. Thanks for the great post.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Got bored and decided to research on ignition upgrades for the Duratec so I went ahead and picked up a set of Autolite AR 103's. Turns out the shop that serviced my car before I bought it put crappy Bosch Iridiums in it (yuck!). I swapped in the AR 103s (using the recommended 0.55 gap) and the car runs tremendously better; the idle is whisper quiet, smoother inside the car, revs cleaner, and car feels more spunkier. Cleaned up a bunch of issues I did not even know I had. I am very happy with this upgrade. Just glad I got those Boschs out of there early on, I was expecting the stock Motorcrafts. [80?] The Boschs went straight into the receptacle. Thanks again for the tech info! [cheers]

·
Registered
439 Posts
Whoa, they are about $2.50 each. I don't know the exchange rate that well, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate to $8 or $27 each...

Edit: Even better. http://www.amazon.com/Autolite-103-Spark-Plug-Copper/dp/B000K3RXT8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392764227&sr=8-3&keywords=autolite+103

Edit again: I looked at Amazon.ca and the prices are ridiculous. You have my condolences.
Some things in Canada (especially in the Territories) are ridiculously overpriced but I noticed FSwerks has them for sale on their site as well so I may check if they ship here in the future.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
This thread is obviously not stickied anymore... can we get it stickied again? People keep asking spark plug questions...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fantastic info. Learned a lot!

·
Registered
202 Posts
VW used the silver Bosch plugs for several years during the 1980's as a OEM plug, as I remember they did idle better than the regular Beru or Bosch plugs at the time but were rather expensive. I installed many sets of these until VW changed the recommended plug from silver to copper later on.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will be replacing my spark plugs with the Autolite A103s, what is a good torque wrench for plugs? Or is it really not needed?

I did a few searches and didn't find anything.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Not needed.

The tapered seat design on these bottoms rather suddenly & firmly if you're used to the type with separate gaskets. "Snug" or "Firm" is "Gut enough", I only use a 6" ratchet handle for installing plugs 'cause you don't want to "reef" them in there.

They'll be hard enough to break loose when you change them next, no reason to overdo it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So.. I didn't get to change the plugs or do anything else to my car yet as I pulled something in my back Saturday morning by just coughing. :(

Do I need to use Dielectric grease as well?

Not sure if I am getting confused with my 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I also plan on changing the plugs, wires (including Ignition Coil on Plug Boots). I don't remember ever having the plugs changed...

I am a complete noob when it actually comes to doing anything mechanical on the car (I know.. it's obvious ;) )

I have yet to find a repair manual for the 2008 Focus... guess I might be able to refer to the one I have from my wife's old 2003 Focus for some things?

I was hoping www.alldatadiy.com would have more info around these things, but not so much.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
When you change your plugs, use either anti-seize or go old skool and use a dab of oil on the threads of the plugs to they don't corrode in the head.

·
Registered
753 Posts
And I just put autolite platinums in m car replacing the double platinums from autolite I had put in when I first performed my tune up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my car with misfires from the OEM Double Platinums, after installing Autolite A103's I noticed a considerable difference in HP gains and overall ride quality

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So I just swapped plugs on my buddies 05 zxw. Advanced auto didn't have the 103's so he just went with ngk's.
I'll refer to plugs in this order since idk the exact specifics, passenger to driver 1-4. The center two spark plug galleys 2-3, had noticable surface rust on the walls as well as the boots. On #4 the spark plug was soaked in oil at the bottom.
I wasn't very impressed with the conditions to say the least. Is the oil just from oil blow by? Pcv valve or something? The plugs looked burnt white and VERY thin.

181 - 200 of 256 Posts