Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
They made a scary crunching noise when I took them out ... I thought I stripped the threads!

Wasn't that bad actually, by far the easiest spark plug change I have ever done! The car idles much smoother now and I have a lot of power back under 3500RPM. There's a hill that I used to be able to go up in 5th gear that I had to downshift the last year or so. Now it seems to have all of it's power back.

Only concerning thing was the spark plug wells for cylinders 2 and 3 were filled with oil. Blew out a puff of smoke on startup!

Time for a new valve cover gasket! Same thing happened when I changed mine.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Wasn't expecting to see the oil on a 36K mile car!

You had the crunching noise too?

All of the oil in the plug wells drained into the cylinders when I removed the plugs. Made quite a puff of blue smoke when starting it up!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wasn't expecting to see the oil on a 36K mile car!

You had the crunching noise too?

All of the oil in the plug wells drained into the cylinders when I removed the plugs. Made quite a puff of blue smoke when starting it up!
No I didn't get crunching but if you have oil in the spark plug wells the gasket is bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
xp's are junk, stick with a104, a103 or ar103
Put in A103's a few months ago, first gear pulls much harder. Just got a tank of premium, all gears rev smoother & faster. Tried premium on stock plugs a while back - nothing!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just switched from the APP 103s to the A103s. As said, much more smoother idle and even in gear.
My focus used to run weird in the cold but after i put these on, it's gotten much better. Have no idea if changing the spark plugs fixed it but hey, it's fixed anyhow lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, quick backstory...after not having enough power to pull my brand new 96 ranger quickly in to traffic with the a/c on, I put Bosch +4's and a K&N filter and immediately had better power and mpg's. Since then, I've put Bosch +4s and a K&N filter in everything I've owned or serviced for my in-laws. I just bought my zx3 off my brother this summer I was getting ready to run the same program on it, and ran in to the wierd air cleaner and this sticky. I bought 104s off rockauto for about a $1.20 each after shipping and gapped them at .55 based on what I read. I figure for $5, I can try them out and then get something else if I'm not happy. I don't have nearly as much vibration at start up and idle and it drives quieter as well. I'll know more about gas milage in a month or so if the cold breaks and I'm not wasting as much fuel warming the car up in the extreme cold. Oddly enough, someone put Bosch +2s in last time and they were absolutely fried. So copper it is. Thanks! Next up is a DIY SRI/CAI.

·
Registered
21 Posts
long thread. sorry if this has been asked..

best plug for 05 pzev? stealth intake soon to be full CAI and soon to be full catless exhaust

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just installed the Autolite AR103's with a .055 gap on my '04 PZEV D23 ZX3. It does feel particularly strong, though I couldn't say without a dyno whether there is a significant improvement. I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I think it's important to quote the first post on this thread...

Do Use
OEM Plugs from the dealer
Autolite, "coppers"
NGK "coppers"
Don't Use
Anything made by Bosch
Designer plugs
Autolite Platinums
If your local stores don't carry what you need, order it online.

·
Registered
439 Posts
eBay and Amazon.com have autolites.
Thanks, I was able to find some... from Autolite they were $27 each o_o. But Amazon was selling them for $8 each, maybe I should have ordered more than 4.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whoa, they are about $2.50 each. I don't know the exchange rate that well, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate to $8 or $27 each...

Edit: Even better. http://www.amazon.com/Autolite-103-Spark-Plug-Copper/dp/B000K3RXT8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392764227&sr=8-3&keywords=autolite+103

Edit again: I looked at Amazon.ca and the prices are ridiculous. You have my condolences.
From Amazon.com (where I got mine)

Autolite 103 Spark Plug Copper Core (4 Pack)
by Autolite
Be the first to review this item
List Price: $7.16
Price: $6.00 + $4.99 shipping

161 - 180 of 256 Posts