Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Great, how the hell is a normal person suppose to know this?

I popped my hood and every 3rd electrical component says Bosch, So I go to the Autoparts store, look at the book, find a part number for a Bosch plug for my car, And done.

So now your telling me these plugs are garbage? Were does this information come from?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Bosch plugs are crap from my experince.

3 Years of BMW Technician
10 Years of Independant Shop

Bosch is meant for German cars and the Germans don't even use them anymore. The Germans have mostly switched to NGK.

And spark plug companies all make replacement parts. There are just good ones and bad ones.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just got back from autozone about 30 mins ago, picked up the copper Autolite 103s. Engine is cooling for now, I will get them in about an hour from now, then run to the store. So gap them at .55, factory says .50 or .51 what about inbetween .50-.55? I guess the 3-4 points don't really matter much?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just got back from autozone about 30 mins ago, picked up the copper Autolite 103s. Engine is cooling for now, I will get them in about an hour from now, then run to the store. So gap them at .55, factory says .50 or .51 what about inbetween .50-.55? I guess the 3-4 points don't really matter much?
Don't be lazy!

I am sure if you followed the link ("you" being anyone that did. I.E. me.), the AR103 is a non-resistor plug. Isn't that going to create some issues?
No. Its a better plug for boost.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Don't be lazy!
LOL dont be lazy? U must mean waiting for it to cool LOL, only took like another 20 minutes and it was slightly warm to the touch, got em' switched out in like 20. Piece of cake-

I can say, idle is a little smoother, Starts the same, and I would say a little more pep for sure when getting on it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
But My car runs fine?

When I switched to the Bosch units, I noticed a smoother idle and acceleration over the sock plugs that only had 70km on them..

I think you should maybe have some research or some hard data before bashing a brand that does not work in in a totally different motor design.

As of now, its sounds like more of a opinion then a fact, thus making this sticky not really a sticky, I personally think sticky s should contain factual information, not peoples personal ideals on certain brands.

If you said your were a automotive engineer for FoMoCo, or for major spark plug company, then yes this would be valid information. The one thing I've learned about "Automotive Technicians" They seem to be basis to brands depending on what sales rep does a better PK meeting.

I'm not trying to bash your ideals., I'm just stating my own.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Speaking 'bout plugs, Has any tryed or use Brisk LGS plugs, that Steeda sells?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
No. Its a better plug for boost.
Boost aside, I was more or less concerned about electrical pollution as there non-resistor (AR103). Some cars can get away with it. As highlighted in a different thread, Honda's cannot (as an example). As far as I know, the problems a non-resistor plug can create are somewhat of an 'open book' with COP (coil on plug) on the Focus. CamoCustom is/has installed "103's". If they are in fact AR103 it would be good to know if he will run into any 'gremlins'.

felixthecat >> Yes, the brisk has been tried. No better than the stock or 104's (as reported).

Chris951 >>"its all in your head. you are not going to notice 5hp"
Remember It's HP to weight. I would say you would 'notice' 5HP, probably expressed better as "more pep". Please note that the gains with a header are even less (maybe 4HP), but the HP build comes on so much stronger over the stock header that folks feel it is worth the investment.

Ziggy Cockburn >> "Great, how the hell is a normal person suppose to know this?
They would not. That is why your here! [thumb]
AND
"its sounds like more of a opinion then a fact"
TOM did some dyno work and it is posted in another thread (I am not going to go digging but have at it if you want).
But, let's get to the ZEN of your question. So, how many opinions begin to make a fact? I only ask this to give you a headache, as there are many divergent opinions on how many agreeing opinions are needed before those opinion begin to be accepted as fact. [deviltail]

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
To clarify, I did NOT get the AR103s, just the regular Autolite Copper 103s.
Thanks for the clarification. Primary question/concern remains regarding the AR103's then. Does anyone run them in a DD? [cheers]

·
Registered
369 Posts
4-5hp more will help you in the quarter mile whether you feel it in the "butt dyno" or not, right?

·
Registered
676 Posts
4-5hp more will help you in the quarter mile whether you feel it in the "butt dyno" or not, right?
With a 4-5 hp gain, you're basically adding the power of a lawn-mower (and not a rider, either), it certainly wouldn't hurt the 1/4 time, but it won't make a big difference, either. If I were to guess, I would guess maybe some hundredths of a second difference...

·
Registered
666 Posts
With a 4-5 hp gain, you're basically adding the power of a lawn-mower (and not a rider, either), it certainly wouldn't hurt the 1/4 time, but it won't make a big difference, either. If I were to guess, I would guess maybe some hundredths of a second difference...
5 horse power is alot

You figure the best cold air intake will get you at most 10hp at a price of $250 so thats $25 per 1 hp VS the copper plugs which gives you $2.5 per 1 hp .. that's 10 times more bang for the buck

Its a no-brainer.

I can show you a dyno of your wallet before and after copper plugs vs cai [giddy]

·
Registered
676 Posts
5 horse power is alot

You figure the best cold air intake will get you at most 10hp at a price of $250 so thats $25 per 1 hp VS the copper plugs which gives you $2.5 per 1 hp .. that's 10 times more bang for the buck

Its a no-brainer.

I can show you a dyno of your wallet before and after copper plugs vs cai [giddy]
While 5 HP may be a lot to you, it is not to me. Sure, get the AR103s if you want the most power out of the engine (although for a significantly shorter life of the plug) but just don't go thinking that 5 HP is a lot. Unless if you're goofy.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
But My car runs fine?

When I switched to the Bosch units, I noticed a smoother idle and acceleration over the sock plugs that only had 70km on them..

I think you should maybe have some research or some hard data before bashing a brand that does not work in in a totally different motor design.

As of now, its sounds like more of a opinion then a fact, thus making this sticky not really a sticky, I personally think sticky s should contain factual information, not peoples personal ideals on certain brands.

If you said your were a automotive engineer for FoMoCo, or for major spark plug company, then yes this would be valid information. The one thing I've learned about "Automotive Technicians" They seem to be basis to brands depending on what sales rep does a better PK meeting.

I'm not trying to bash your ideals., I'm just stating my own.
actually it is fact from a few years back...my fact. not gonna dig for the thread just to appease you, you can do that for yourself.
Lets just suffice it to say, it's not a whole lotta fun when you spend the money you do on bosch, to have them leave you stranded because a center electrode fell out of one leaving a completely dead cylinder and a car that had to be towed to have the engine scoped (engine safety first). all while you were doing 75 down the interstate.
Something as important as a plug gets only one chance, bosch used it up.
There's 2 brands I will not use from experience. bosch and champion

·
Registered
666 Posts
While 5 HP may be a lot to you, it is not to me. Sure, get the AR103s if you want the most power out of the engine (although for a significantly shorter life of the plug) but just don't go thinking that 5 HP is a lot. Unless if you're goofy.
5 more pounds of torque is nice though.. now that's something you can feel during city driving

·
Registered
138 Posts
@all of you, 5hp is not a lot. 50hp is a lot. not 5. you wont feel it. and your 1/4 times might go from 20.0 seconds to 19.99999. yes i just went there. so quit acting like you can feel more power from your copper plugs. its all in your head.

61 - 80 of 256 Posts