Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Picked up a set of AR103's. I used one of those coin style gapper tools and noticed that the bend in the ground electrode is slightly different. In the pics the one on the left bent at the 90* bend and the one on the right looks like it bent where the ground electrode is welded onto the end of the threads. Does it really matter? Both are set to 0.055 as per the write up. I'm positive that I used the tool correctly.

Also noticed that the sparkplug ground (the one on the right from the pic above) is slightly off center. Again does it matter or am I being too picky??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Remember your setting the distance between the wire and the electrode , if you use the washer type it has to be used at an angle

Tom
Yup it is at an angle when I gauge it and both are at 0.055".

Is it alright with that ground bent like that or will I run into problems?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I dont' care about HP gains, just MPG gains. Is the .055 better for MPG vs the .051 recommended in my manual?

Also, my stock from motorcraft are platinum (03 2.3l pzev duratec), can be hard to find and Ford wants $13 per (but the ones ford sells are iridium now). Just go with copper?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autolite-copper-resistor-spark-plug-103/5390346-P

Correct? And replace every 15k (so every 3rd oil change for me)? Thanks. Just want to make sure.

Also, do you guys replace coil packs every so many miles?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Okay so I’ve been reading this thread and the beginning turned into a physics lesson. The original poster had been giving great knowledge. I have an 06 Focus 2.0l ZX4. I’ve been having some weird idle issues and S*** gas mileage come to find out I bought the wrong plugs. So now the AR103 and there’s also an AR103 racing plug. What is it I should gap them to? And which ones exactly. I’m also buying a Steeda Sri, and probally the Fswerks race exhaust does that matter with the gap or do I have to change the gap again

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
My opinion is NGK isnt a good plug for the Focus , nothing in the NGK line crosses properly to a AR series autolite not even close , vpower is only another way to charge you more
Tom

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My opinion is NGK isnt a good plug for the Focus , nothing in the NGK line crosses properly to a AR series autolite not even close , vpower is only another way to charge you more
Tom
Most Ford's come with a NGK plug including the focus.
Maybe not the best for making maximum power.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I started out with the NGK, noticed a better performance in the vehicle I switched to the Autolite AR. Tried calling them at .55 and my car barely ran. Re gapped them at .51 and the car ran awesome for a few days and then just lost the luster it had. I’m thinking of just buying the silver plugs from Fswerks and calling it a day

241 - 256 of 256 Posts