Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
And also keep in mind copper plugs do not last very long. Although high in conductivity, their durability is the lowest.

I run the Autolite 103 copper plugs by instruction of FSWerks for the turbo kit. I change them every other oil change (15k).

·
Registered
657 Posts
i can read things 100 times and miss what i need. Its like asking me what was for breakfast, i just ate 20 minutes ago and yet i dont know.

I will read back through :p

EDIT**

Ok, re-read the first post, so gapped to .055 i would be good with them.

sorry, my head isn't great at remembering stuff from just a few minutes ago.. my entire desk at work is covered with post-its with projects i need to work on daily. soooo many reminders for me to do my insulin, check blood sugar, hell i should have one to breathe -.-

I do appologize for being annoying

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ok, re-read the first post, so gapped to .055 i would be good with them.

Uh... no. That's larger than the factory gap.

.049 to .051 is the gap they need to be set to.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Gap can be discussed like an Oil thread, here's the original comment from the thread:

On to life and gapping.

If you gap the spark plug to the factory recomendation of .050" you should see 30,000 miles from them, however reducing the gap will reduce your hp gains, as you want the spark to jump as far as possible without extinguishing it's self to create a better flame front.

If you gap the spark plug to .055" you should see 15,000 miles. This is the best compromise in my opinion. The gap make the spark huge and will give you a much improved gain over stock.

You can also gap to .060" however I do not recommend this unless you keep a set of hand tools in your car. This will make a very nice gain, however life until the gap becomes to large is very short. When I ran .060" I swear it felt so much better and was getting around 38mpg highway. However, after 8,000 miles started to misfire. and when I checked the gap they had grown to .062" and i guess .062" is just to much for the coil on plug to handle.
Fits the typical theory of largest gap that works consistently for the best results. .060" is where some start to see inconsistent results, may not work that wide for all.

Or go stock gap for longest life.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Fits the typical theory of largest gap that works consistently for the best results. .060" is where some start to see inconsistent results, may not work that wide for all.
Was looking for the gain, which in the OP, .055 was recommended. 15k miles means yearly swap out which is fine with me, and before i end up selling, would put a stock set back in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys. I picked up some AR103s and gapped them to .055. Owner of a 2.0l. Noticed since then the car is idling high after driving for a bit. Was wondering if this could be related to the plugs, or the ignition coils I replaced while replacing the plugs. The car hasn't idled well in the first place with the car idling too low and shivering. Any tips?

·
Multi-Focusing
3,867 Posts
Hey guys. I picked up some AR103s and gapped them to .055. Owner of a 2.0l. Noticed since then the car is idling high after driving for a bit. Was wondering if this could be related to the plugs, or the ignition coils I replaced while replacing the plugs. The car hasn't idled well in the first place with the car idling too low and shivering. Any tips?
Check for vacuum leaks. You may have a broken or damaged hose.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everyone keeps saying don’t use Bosch,etc, but what are some cons that people have experienced from actually using them?

The reason I’m asking is because after changing my spark plugs in my 09 SE, my engine has a low frequency vibration while reviving at 2000rpm, and it’s way more noticeable when the engine is warm. It’s not an insane shaking, just how it feels when someone shakes their foot in your car.

The plugs I tried were NGK Platinum, and then I tried another set of ACDelco coppers and they do the same thing as well. Should I try Autolite plugs?

·
FF Affiliate
30,244 Posts
Dyno proven the denso , delco ,NGK , motorcraft , brisk etc etc all were lower then the Autolite AR103 , the 103 hands down were the best and they cost the least

Tom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right. Ive heard that. But has anyone actually used them in a performance engine, wither on the dyno or in competition. Im interested in facts. Everyone has an opinion....

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Right. Ive heard that. But has anyone actually used them in a performance engine, wither on the dyno or in competition. Im interested in facts. Everyone has an opinion....

Electrodes wear down, gap expands, you’ll have misfires, and stuttering under acceleration.

It’s the same story everywhere you look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"The same story everywhere you look". I know. I see people regurgitate the same crap as they have "read". These are the same people reposting stuff that keeps Snopes in business.
I want FACTS from an ACTUAL USER.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Those are actual users. What more do you need?

·
FF Affiliate
30,244 Posts
What about "E-3"?
Yes I have dynoed them , the scam with the e3 is they like you to think it fires to all 3 electrodes and increases the spark kournal but it DOES NOT , it can only fire to one electrode at a time just like any other plug , like stated there junk

Tom

221 - 240 of 249 Posts