Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
The headlight assembly on the MK3 is the easiest to remove of any car I've owned. Just remove the two bolts holding in the assembly. It has torx screws so you need special screwdriver tip for this. I bought a cheap kit that had these in it. Pull out the assembly, take of the rubber cover, loose the plastic lock nut and unplug the head lamp bulb so the whole thing comes out. then you can replace the bulbs.
Ford Focus Headlight Bulbs Replacement Guide - MK3 2011 To 2014 Model Years - Photo Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

·
Registered
650 Posts
My 07 ZX3 was the last car on which I could change the bulbs w/o removing the assembly. the MKII and III you have to removed them.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Wow.

Those two screws even have slots for a flat head screwdriver if you're desperate.

It would be more awkward and slow, but possible.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Take note, there IS some light output difference in some of the bulb numbers mentioned there, for outside marker lighting you generally use the higher wattage..............

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

This took 30 minutes, 10 bucks, and a screw driver.

I let the dealership go to voicemail when they followed up about it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Good job.

I would have driven back to the dealership and asked for the service manager, then harangued him/her for not having skilled enough mechanics to do a simple repair that I could do myself in half an hour.

But this is why I don't go to dealerships...

·
Registered
31 Posts
The title blew my mind. I replaced this bulb myself. What a poorly trained dealer! Wow!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd leave a negative review on Google. Don't even accuse them of lying or anything.

Just say something like "They told me they would have to replace the entire headlight assembly in order to change one bulb. I looked up the process online and changed the bulb myself in 10 minutes. How this place employs mechanics so grossly incompetent that they don't even know how to change a lightbulb is beyond me."

In my personal experience, when reading reviews I tend dismiss ones that accuse a place of business of lying or cheating unless there are a lot of them. People tend to make assumptions and have vendettas. But in your case you don't have to make any accusations, just let the facts speak for themselves.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It is the corner (parking light) light bulb on the headlight. It lights when I press the lock button once on my keys:

http://i.imgur.com/CQG9YXK.png
Surely, there is a way to replace it without replacing the entire headlight?

I will search for a better picture in the meantime.
This confused me, even after reading through all of the replies on this. If the bulb lit then how did replacing it fix your problem? Is it a single element or two element bulb?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My understanding is that he was explaining which bulb it was (The one that lights up when you lock the car) and that it did not work. Replacing it fixed the problem.

I agree it was a little confusing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So, I replaced it myself, and after a few months of it working correctly it started going out intermittently. Now it is dead completely, I think.

That said, when I got new tires, and I assume the reset the computer in the car, the bulb was working perfectly for awhile before it died again.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
609 Posts
You see this is why you should have let the dealer replace the entire headlight (that's a joke). Most likely a loose connection. Pull the headlight and inspect. Yes it could even be a bad bulb where a dangling filament is making intermittent contact.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You see this is why you should have let the dealer replace the entire headlight (that's a joke). Most likely a loose connection. Pull the headlight and inspect. Yes it could even be a bad bulb where a dangling filament is making intermittent contact.

I messed around with the wiring a bit and even put a new bulb in. I think the wiring is faulty because of the fact that it will flicker on and off depending on how I adjust he wires.

I also broke the stupid retaining clip! ???
Is there a way to remove the component from the headlight assembly without the retaining clip?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts