• swap it

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not getting into details, ive replaced many times for friends and family, of course it haoppens to my baby...
But i love my 2006 zx3 and not ready to give up on her despite everyones "advice".
i was debating on my options and prices, i would like the 200hp but lets look at options.
rebuild kit, should get master kit for longevity.. 450ish
or a used 2.0 engine from online with 1 year warranty for 450ish door delivery included
was thinking about 2.3 still looking at prices..
which would be best? 2.3 is just plug and play correct?
is there any performance rebuild kits that would be more cost beneficial than the other options?
also, idk if it matters but my focus doesnt seem to have an ecu, only a pcm. ill be keeping the manual 5 speed, and just for piece of mind and to be safe, what years and model 2.3 are compatible with mine?
not looking to go insane power, just enough power to keep blue lights in the back :D but still have the 200k+ life span

·
Registered
2006 ZXW SE, starting its new life as a sleeper
46 Posts
Second hand here, but I've been researching the same question here, but with less urgency.
The 2.3 is plug and play (since it is the same block) except for the intake manifold, since the port sizes are different and the 2.3 had a variable runner length system.
The 2.5 from the fusion, with the stock 2.3 head is reportedly the best bang for your buck, swap wise. Again, everything fits but the manifold, transmission included. It made 175 stock, so getting your 200 hp should be straightforward and much cheaper than boost. I'm sure there are a couple extra sensor issues, but I can't remember any right now. There are a bunch of threads about the swap on here if you search for them. Using "2.5 swap" (in the quotations) brings up more relevant threads.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,393 Posts
2.5 swap with 2.5 head. Escape intake manifold. 2.3 timing cover. Throttle body adapter. No gains in putting the 2.3 on the 2.5 block.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Through some miracle, she is alive!?.. used endoscope w/ magnet got debris out of cylinder # 4 and 3( middle two, pic included). Single scar on each cylinder, strangest thing... she feels stronger?... however, occasionally when over 2k rpm or with engine load it almost feels like an erratic misfire? But none recorded in live data, no CELs or DTCs. With that being said this does not deter my plans. However does provide more options, saving money from having to buy new block.another question, being 30 and this being my first car without a small block, why don't I hear anything boring the head, or any head work in general?
20-06-20 07:42:15.png

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Through some miracle, she is alive!?.. used endoscope w/ magnet got debris out of cylinder # 4 and 3( middle two, pic included). Single scar on each cylinder, strangest thing... she feels stronger?... however, occasionally when over 2k rpm or with engine load it almost feels like an erratic misfire? But none recorded in live data, no CELs or DTCs. With that being said this does not deter my plans. However does provide more options, saving money from having to buy new block.another question, being 30 and this being my first car without a small block, why don't I hear anything boring the head, or any head work in general? View attachment 306833 View attachment 306833
For a 2.3 or a 2.5?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
either or even the 2.0? so if i was to do 25 swap i can keep the head and dont have to use 23?
Absolutely. 2.5 head flows much better than the 2.3. Add Crower stage 3 cams and springs. Vct delete. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You only use a 2.3 timing cover so you can use your 2.0 power steering pump and engine mount. The Fusion and Escape, which use the 2.5, have electric steering and a longer engine mount.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The 2.5 swap also requires a tune, which should be done even on a modified 2.0. 2.5 is the best bang for the buck. You can buy a low mileage 2.5 for $300. Bolts right up to your transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts