Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as you can see i'm new here but dont be shy ha

I need a hand on my focus.

I was driving back home, overtaking a lorry and pushed to about 4,5k revs. I heard a bang from the front of the car and lost power. A burning smell came through the heating so i turned it off and pulled over.

The engine management light is now flashing incidentaly.

On getting home i went throught the fault codes and was given this:

dtc 9318 (Low Battery Voltage) - i need a new one anyways

P103

P2FF

P3FF

p4FF

Now i believe the top one to be the MAF sensor but would this have anything to do with the burning smell inside the car :S

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh forgot to mention - the light was one before and was caused by broken coil pack. So new coil pack/leads/plugs in the last 2k miles. Oh and a new clutch if that makes a difference

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have re-set the car and the light is no longer on. However the car still iddles roughly and when driven produces an electric burning smell, can only smell this with heaters on full. Help required urgently please.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just taken for a drive, still iddling roughly. A crackling noise is not heard in the engine bay (engine warm) and the coil pack ends of the ignition leads appear to be damp :S

This is further confusing me.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Are the end of the ignition wires wet with oil....or some other sort of liquid?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the P0103 fault code was flashed should i clean the MAF?? Iv reset the ecu and the engine management light is no longer showing but the P0103 fault code is still present on the in-dash display. Would a dirty MAF cause the rough iddling? Could it be the coil pack again??

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MAF Sensor - cleaned

Coil Pack - looks fine, ends under the leads are oiled.

Leads - coil ends are oiled

Plugs - all are carbonated. number 3 is oily above and below and was loose in the block :S

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know not the best eh!! As for the bank i am still trying to establish - kinda dark atm so am praying that in the morn when i check the timing belt it hasnt shredded itself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
do u have an obdII scanner? to read off any codes.. cos the codes u gave are cluster codes.. not relevant to the engines ECU at all. from the vid, she sounds very poorly indeed.. i hear some rods knocking i think... but urs is a diesel right.. so i donno could be that.. but if it really is rod knock.. im afraid u might be lookin at an engine rebuild.. :S they dont do that in england very much init!! :|

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its the 1.8 Petrol. I dont have a scanner was just going by the cluster codes. I know not looking forward to that at all, have only just fitted a new clutch to her

·
Registered
324 Posts
oo snap, okay so your engine is definitely suffering... but, dont bother getting codes read if the engine lights not on! but im sure it mustve been triggered by the sounds of it.. im thinking the bang u heard was something giving way inside the engine.. most likely affecting the cylinder thats leaking oil.. i think u should do a compression test to see whether all they cylinders are equal.. i can more or less predict that the leaky one will be low.. but i think ur just gonna have to take it in to a mechanic.. :|

·
Registered
165 Posts
IF the plugs are covered in carbon you are running HELLA rich

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
I'm thinking you've blown something (potentially a rod or the like) to cause a oil leak within one of the cylinders....this change in "pressure" within the valve cover is causing extra oil to be venting out the valve cover hose.....dirtying the MAF. The oil leakage from the cylinder is also causing one of the plugs to foul.

That is just a random guess....but If I get it right you owe me a trip across the pond. :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Few things im not getting mind

1) There was a huge bang, followed immediately by electrical burning smell. Would this be caused by an internal engine fault?

2) How the hell is the car still iddling and driving if its blown a rod?

3) The only plug that had oil on it was cyl 3 and this plug was loose. :S Could it be that oil has seeped down? There is no blue exhaust smoke on running.

4) What the hell is the god awful noise the engine is making (please see vid) would that be the result of snapping a rod or valve?

Sorry for all the questions and cheers for the help so far!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh also.. not sure if i mentioned - the engine overheats if left at about 3,500rpm for any length of time. Yes i know my engine does not look good :(

1 - 20 of 60 Posts