Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if anyone happened to notice the Red SVT broken down on the off-ramp with the crowd of people around it at FF11...that was me.

After towing the car home and dragging my feet for about 4 weeks, the repairs have finally started:

Day 1:
"Just a little update for you. I dropped the subframe to remove the transmission. pulled the starter and inspected. starter looks fine. i reached inside the starter hole and checked out the flywheel/ring gear. There is something significantly wrong with the flywheel. The flywheel spins freely from the crank. I should have the tranny off tomorrow so I will know whats destroyed then. Couple ideas that could be.....
1) bolts that hold flywheel to crank sheered off
2)flywheel cracked around crank causing it to spin freely on crank
3)crankshaft cracked causing the flywheel and small portion of crankshaft to spin freely

I dont know whats wrong yet and I am hoping for the best."

From my friend Dave who is working on it

Day 2:

Sub-frame was dropped from the car so that the tranny could be moved easier and I'm going to put my new sway-bars in there while its down as well.

The flywheel is separated from the crank. Three bolts were sheered, one was still in the flywheel and some others were still in the crank. Good news is, the motor was not damaged and, while he didn't specify, I don't think the tranny is either.

Bad news, the contact surface of the crank shaft is all torn up instead of being all perfect and shiny. The clutch looks like it had been replaced before and whoever did it re-used some of the old bolts, which isn't bad, but they didn't torque them right or use lock-tight...and one bolt was longer than the others. My rear main seal was blown up so oil was everywhere, but I suspect it was almost to the breaking point because I was leaking oil before.

So...I'm going to have a parts list tomorrow and it will HOPEFULLY be done some time next week, in the mean time, I'll have more updates.

I'll hopefully have some pics in the next few days and I'll keep you updated.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'm glad you were able to make it home with the car, and I certainly hope neither you nor your friend lost your jobs over it. If you did, then screw those tightwad bastards and I hope you got a better job with higher pay somewhere else.

Thanks for the update! I was there, but there really wasn't anything I could do since Turbo Tom had it all under control.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Turbo Tom strikes again! lol.

I missed this. What happened? I didn't see anyone break down at FF...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it was on the off ramp right by hardees. We had llike 10 people pushing him up that hill into the bank haha it was quite a site! was REALLY easy witht that many people though!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here goes...

"Parts List:
Clutch Kit-flywheel, disk, pressure plate, slave cylinder
Flywheel bolts-6 total
Rear Main seal
Pilot bearing
Wishbone bolt.......the one that goes into the subframe broke coming out
2 bottles of power steering fluid
2 o-rings for pwr steering lines going into rack
1 big bottle DOT3 brake fluid.
1 long bellhousing bolt.....the wrong one is installed
1 starter bolt.......it was missing.
I still need to inspect the input shaft into the transmission for damage. hopefully there will be none. The face of the crankshaft is kind of messed up. I am going to clean it up tonight and extract the broken bolts. hopefully it will clean up nice. Also one of the electrical connectors was broken and held together by a ziptie. I will do the same....it will be fine. If I think of anything else I will let you know"

Should be fun!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts