Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I mean, I was planning on putting a fuse between the battery and amp. Do I need one between the alternator and battery as well?
Yes. One on positive from alt to battery as well. Close to battery.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes. One on positive from alt to battery as well. Close to battery.
its not something you have to do but something you do for safety.

also the fuse should be closer to the power source, like when you run the power wire from the bat to the amp the fuse is with in a few short inches from the batt (power source). the fuse for the alt power wire should most likely be done the same way if you choose to do so.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Has anyone done this on a mk3 yet? I was all set and ready to do it, but then I got to looking at the stock wire. It's some beefy stuff. Is there any benefit to doing so? I've done it on my cars in the past, I just doubt it would do much on this vehicle.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Gonna be putting together my Big 3 Upgrade Kit, starting this weekend. I'm not buying it all at once, but stay tuned, I'll try to get pictures on here when I finally get to it =]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Part and Plan B

I just finished doing this and have a couple of ideas. First, I used 4 gauge welding wire. It is very efficient and carries maximum load for the gauge. Second, I hydraulically crimp the terminal ends. I bought an inexpensive crimper years ago at Harbor Freight and use it all the time. I did heat shrink all ends, did use dielectric grease and did not disconnect the battery. My reason is that I did not want to reprogram a bunch of stuff. Do each ground one at a time and complete that circuit before you disconnect the next one. On the hot side, I wrapped tape around the lug that was going on the battery and connected the alternator first. Be careful to not arc your wrench. I use a 1/4 drive that I have dipped the handle (done years ago with liquid tape). If you want you can also heat shrink the handle. The reason I did this improvement was that my amp drew enough that it robbed the fuel pump of power. Now not a problem. The factory wiring is a economics (cost savings) and weight (fuel savings). It is fine when new but not for higher power needs.

Parts are available on eBay. Also try your local welding supply. Stereo shops and BestBuy have kits but they are generally since they are prettier.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts