Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, first of all... I know that I've posted alot of thread on here relating to this issue, or similar ones. But I want this to be the official thread for my decision.

I am debating on whether to go with Eibach Sportlines or Progress Technology springs.

The Sportlines have a 2"-2.2" drop
The Progress Technology Springs have a 1.8" drop

I was first set on getting the Progress springs. But I have 205/40/17 wheels, and I was told that there would still be a nice gap in the wheel wells since it's such a small tire. That's why I started leaning towards the Sportlines because I want a semi-noticeable drop. I think the Sportlines look good with my size tires because I've seen some examples. But then I keep remembering that I do live in Wisconsin, and I do have to deal with snow. And I also definitely do not wanna deal with rubbing, so that makes me wonder whether I should get the Progress springs or the Sportlines. I can get new Sportlines for like $140 shipped, or the Progress ones for $175 shipped. I don't know which I should choose. Right now I am leaning towards the Sportlines because I think they look perfect. But I am counting on getting threw snow and not rubbing. But I've also been told to get the Progress Springs, and then get some 205/45 tires the next time that I re-tire my car.

Here is a picture of a car that is exactly my color with the same rims and tires with the Sportline drop... mine is a ZX3 though, not a ZX5:

If anyone has a picture of the Progress springs with 205/40/17 tires, please post it.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Id go with the sportlines, I live in WI and when we got all that snow last week I drove my car with the sportlines. I also have larger tires than stock and they have never rubbed. I love the handling of the sportline kit, and it doesnt even ride that bad for being a lowered car. Next summer I will be running 215/45/17 tires, which are smaller in diameter than the tires i have now.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Just to let you know, you're going to want to get new struts and shocks if you get springs. You'll blow your stock ones out in no time with a drop.

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
im getting sportlines

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to let you know, you're going to want to get new struts and shocks if you get springs. You'll blow your stock ones out in no time with a drop.
yeah, i already got the roush shocks and struts.. but thanks anyway :]

and for everyone else, thanks for the input so far.. keep it comin [ffrocks]

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got some brand new Sportlines for $160 shipped.

Hopefully these are good and I didn't pay too much.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Nice man, should look good! Don't forget to get a new set of adjustable rear camber bolts. They're about $25 at CFM.

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,978 Posts
160 its kinda good, if they did not have much wear, and yeah you need the dampers, i saw them for about 300.. so you will spend 460

The eibach sport system setup is like 500 so maybe you saved 40 lol xD

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
160 its kinda good, if they did not have much wear, and yeah you need the dampers, i saw them for about 300.. so you will spend 460

The eibach sport system setup is like 500 so maybe you saved 40 lol xD
Yep, the springs have no wear at all... they are still new in the box.

And I've already got some brand new Roush dampers for $120 shipped.
So this whole things has only cost me around $280 + an alignment.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice man, should look good! Don't forget to get a new set of adjustable rear camber bolts. They're about $25 at CFM.
I was told that there was a chance that I might not need them. Then if I end up needing them, alignment shops should carry them. If this is true, do you know how much they charge for their camber bolts?

Thanks for the heads up!

·
1,978 Posts
geez.... Where did you get those roush dampers.. i wanna drop my car too lol hehe

now my question.. the roush setup is a little higher than the sport kit from eibach, so wouldnt there be a problem with the dampers? because of the eibach spring.. i mean something similar to the problem of having lowering springs with stock dampers?

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just received my Roush dampers and I have a question

I noticed that one of these has a support like rod on it, and the other one doesn't. There is a hole for it on the other one, but it isn't there. Here is a picture to explain what I am talking about:

I'm a noob with this stuff, so if someone could let me know if one of them not having this rod will be a problem, that would be great. I need to know if I can put these on a use them ASAP.

Also, is what I have in this pic everything that I need to drop my car? The springs are on the way, but I need to know if what I have here along with the springs is everything that I need...

Also, if anyone knows the amount of drop that these dampers can handle, that would be great because I don't wanna ruin these.

Thanks, any replies are appreciated!

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
geez.... Where did you get those roush dampers.. i wanna drop my car too lol hehe

now my question.. the roush setup is a little higher than the sport kit from eibach, so wouldnt there be a problem with the dampers? because of the eibach spring.. i mean something similar to the problem of having lowering springs with stock dampers?
I got them from a guy on here who sold them to me on eBay.

I've heard that the Roush drop is actually set for 1.75" springs, so I was told that I should be able to get away with ~2"...

·
1,978 Posts
ooh.. now.. i just read the roush dampers wont fit svt?... i know you dont have 1 but i do lol

Good luck with that problem you said

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I merged your latest 2 threads.
Thanks.

That rod on the strut is just for shipping purposes.
It holds the shaft down so they don't need to pack it in as long of a box.
You're good to go. [;)]
(Though, it is odd that the one without the rod hasn't extended all the way out.)

As far as any additional parts;
I would look into replacing your strut bearings/mounts when you install everything, if you've got a lot of miles on your original ones.
These are what I'm talking about:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=KYB&model=Strut+%26+Shock+Mount&group=Strut+%26+Shock+Mount&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Focus+ZX3+Hatchback&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=&partNum=SM5169&perfCode=P

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
ive heard that the sportlines rub with 17's

thats just what heard tho
Rubbing due to a drop has more to do with tire size and wheel size & offset. Many run with sportlines without rubbing. 17x7/45-49mm offset with 215 40 17 or 205 45 17 should be good combinations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts