Focus Fanatics Forum banner

which is it?

• Motorcraft

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Super... Tech...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any other not mentioned (please specify)

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok everyone i'm runnin a poll here to determine, by votes, what the best power steering fluid is. i'll be doing this for all the different fluids that run around in our cars. personally, i haven't changed mine yet (not sure if it's necessary) , but i want to show everyone what the result is.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I buy the cheapest, Ive only owned one car that needed to have fluid added and it was the wifes neon. The pump leaked, and beside is one fluid going to allow you to turn faster? honestly this is pointless.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
This is an old ass thread but I'm trying to pick up some power steering fluid this weekend among other things and wanted some opinions. And how much should I get?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, if you have a Ford, I believe that Ford says NOT to use "power steering fluid," but to use ATF in their power steering systems.

So I would follow their recommendation, and use the recommended Mercon ATF.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
I just swapped my PS line for an SVT one, went to the locat Parts Store and none of the brands that i found convinced me. All they said was "Universal PS Fluid". So i went to the dealer and got me some Motorcraft brand, wich is what's recommended to use.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Out of curiosity, if Ford says to use Mercon ATF in their power steering systems, rather than "power steering fluid," why would one choose to ignore their specification and not use the specified ATF instead of "power steering fluid?"

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Huh? I know you could use the ATF fluid, but i just went ahead and bought mine at the dealer just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Huh? I know you could use the ATF fluid"

My Owner's Manual for my 2005 Focus and my 1992 Explorer both say to use Mercon ATF in the power steering, and does not list "power steering fluid" as an alternative. Though I suppose Motorcraft could just package Mercon ATF in bottles labeled "Power Steering Fluid" for the dealers.

I have no idea what the diferences are between a typical "power steering fluid" and Mercon ATF, but if Ford says to use ATF, I figure that unless I see a good reason to the contrary, I'll just use what Ford recommends for their power steering system.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
oh, i get it now. Yeah... I always tend to search around for stuff before getting or using them. I read, for instance on epartsconnection.com the type of fluids and specifications for the Focus, and it stated DOT Fluid. Just use what Ford recommends, since they did build the car. I'm guessing they should know what's up!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I suppose I should add how I found out that Ford recommends ATF. When my Explorer had about 120,000 miles on it, I decided the "power steering fluid" was looking rather nasty and that it might be a good idea to replace it. So, not checking (hey, it's power steering, so you use power steering fluid, right?), I flushed it and replaced with Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid. about 10,000 - 15,000 miles later, the pump began leaking a bit and then got noisy, requiring me to replace it. I then checked and saw that Ford specifies ATF for their power steering systems (or at least a lot of them, I haven't check all Fords of course).

Now, I do not know if it was my use of power steering fluid, rather than ATF, that caused the failure, as it is not that unusual for a PS Pump to fail at 135,000 miles, but... I figure that if Ford says ATF, from now on I'll use ATF.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just bought a quart of Motorcraft XT-2-QDX ATX/PS fluid from dealer for only $2.94, keep all in warranty. Every oil change I suction pump out the power steering resorvoir and replace with new fluid. Takes only 2-3 minutes and keeps the fluid like new.

The Motorcraft XT-2-QDX ATX/PS is Ford H or Mercon ATX fluid, NOT Mercon V the transmission requires for the '05.

Did this for years with my '99 Taurus, both the power steering and the ATX. It was my first Duratec!

·
Premium Member
21,241 Posts
Ford power steering fluid has always been ATF in every Ford I've ever driven. Not too many years ago there was no physical difference between power steering fluid and ATF except for the price. Now they put red dye in transmission fluids.

ATF is the thicker of the tranny fluids. I know a friend who put it in his transmission that was rated for Mercon3 because it shifter harder- oooooh performance [8] I can't say that it lasted longer.. LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts