Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup is:
2016 FoST w/ ST3 package
Hawk HP + Pads
245-45 R17 RE71R's on Sport Edition Wheels, Might be picking up a set of 17" OZ SuperLeggera Wheels Wrapped in 255-40R17 that I saw on Facebook as back up tires and for running National Events.
Running 35-36PSI Front 32-34PSI Rear
Waiting on Strano Adjustable RSB

This weekend was my first two day event for the 2018 season and only my 4th event running my ST on RE71's. I ran terribly on Saturday and couldn't get a clean run to save my life and when I finally did it was snail slow compared to be what I should have been running. I kept getting behind in the slalom and spinning my car because of it.

My Wife ran with me on Sunday and did very well for it being only her 4th ever autocross. I really think that if she keeps coming to events that she will eventually surpass me and be more competitive!

She had one bad spin where she stalled the car and the course workers weren't paying attention and didn't throw a red flag when a car was coming at us so I got really anxious and yelled at her to hurry up which caused her to be overly cautious the rest of her runs. I need to work on being more calm with her when she's driving because she's not used to driving as much as me so it takes her a little longer to react in that situation.

I'll be running at the Match Tour Event at Zmax in March and definitely need more seat time and practice with my ST since it has so much more power than my old '03 Focus and is much heavier. I should also have my Strano RSB before that event so I will need to get it installed and tuned hopefully before that event.

Later today or tomorrow I'll add some videos and pictures from this weekend.

Fingers crossed I can be really competitive this year!

w/ my magic bag
Patience goes far......IK how that goes & I'm still learning patience w/ my wife at times....

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #3
Patience goes far......IK how that goes & I'm still learning patience w/ my wife at times....
I do well with her until we spin then I get all freaked out and it doesn't end well. I think she would have been really close to my best time had I not got her all worked up after the spin. She really does have the potential to surpass me if she keeps up with autocross. She can see the line she just doesn't completely trust the car or her skills to utilize that line.

I'm naturally decent but don't as easily see and feel the line and also tend to go too aggressive thus causing myself to get behind the course. as she gets better I see no reason why she would be slower. She has actually helped me considerably because she sees & feels the line when shes riding with me.

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #5
Officially bought the OZ Ultraleggeras wrapped in essentially new RE71's

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #6
From today. Not super great results 4th out of 6 in GS 16th out 53 in PAX 31st in raw time.

Keep trying to drive this like my old ZX3 and it's killing me.

Attachments

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #7
Today went much better. Not many showed up due to chilly weather and possible rain/snow mix so runs went super fast.

Today I finished third in Overall PAX, 9th Overall in RAW time and 3rd in GS. I alreadys see areas where I braked too soon or carried speed in bad ways plus a few bad apex's.

Old Phart
You set a high goal, G/L with the Season!

And yep, not in a momentum car anymore - more power & braking where needed - and LESS than you hope to be able to use.

IIRC, last year you tended to push Slaloms faster while going through, eventually getting behind the line & spinning out for the bad runs.

FWIW - in Ski racing you want to be finishing the turn as you go by the back side of the pole (cone), otherwise you get behind and can't turn sharp enough for the next one. Similar early start should help, gives you more time for a better line than being forced to turn sharp AT the cone.

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #9
You set a high goal, G/L with the Season!

And yep, not in a momentum car anymore - more power & braking where needed - and LESS than you hope to be able to use.

IIRC, last year you tended to push Slaloms faster while going through, eventually getting behind the line & spinning out for the bad runs.

FWIW - in Ski racing you want to be finishing the turn as you go by the back side of the pole (cone), otherwise you get behind and can't turn sharp enough for the next one. Similar early start should help, gives you more time for a better line than being forced to turn sharp AT the cone.
I noticed in my video I posted I start out ahead of the slalom but ended behind by the last cone in the slalom. I need to start turning in sooner and keeping a better place through them.

EDIT: The other issue pointed out to me by a friend is that I drive straight at the start cone of the slalom and then swerve to go around it.

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I'll be looking into another option for my RSB. I ordered from Strano Parts on 1/30 and was told it would be 4 weeks. 4 weeks goes by and I am told maybe next week. maybe next week rolls by and now I am being told maybe the beginning of April which is after the National Event at Zmax and is 8-9 weeks after I ordered.

I would be ok waiting if I could get an actual time frame but since it keeps getting pushed back 2 weeks at a time (Feels Like the "Money Pit" movie) I am not sure I am willing to wait.

I also noticed that it is no longer listed on their site as being available for purchase. I've heard nothing but great things about Strano so hopefully they can get it sorted out very soon.

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #11
After talking with Sam Strano, I have decided to switch my order to a Suspension Techniques 24mm 2 way adjustable bar they had in stock. With no ship date in site for their custom bar I couldn't justify waiting indefinitely. Unfortunately their fabricator got a more lucrative order and pushed their bars to the bottom of his to do list.

Reading up on the bars, the stock bar is ~100lbs/in roll resistance, the Strano three way bar was ~100lbs/in, 115lbs/in, & 130lbs/in. The Suspension Techniques bar is ~125lbs/in and 150lbs/in.

Sam & Desiree were very helpful the whole time. Sad my first time ordering from them wasn't perfect but they helped me considerably.

Only a week and a half before my first nationals event!!

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #12
Suspension Technologies RSB going on the car tonight just in time for another spring snow storm.

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #13
First national event done. Zmax match tour was a great success. Well, I didn't win but I also wasn't DFL so I'm happy. I had a blast.

Fastest Run of the weekend was on the challenge day Saturday.

I'll post more stuff tomorrow.

Registered
After seeing your tire pressures, I wonder if I should try a little more pressure in my RE71's. I run 245-40-17 on 9" wheels at ~28psi.
How did you determine that your tire pressures were ideal?

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #15
After seeing your tire pressures, I wonder if I should try a little more pressure in my RE71's. I run 245-40-17 on 9" wheels at ~28psi.
How did you determine that your tire pressures were ideal?
I've just been using trial and error. After this weekend I think I may start trying 32-33psi front and 34-36 rear pending conditions. I also talked with competitors and did research on FocusST.org.

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #16
Pics from this weekend at Zmax.

Friday Day 1, finished 7 of 11 in class, mid pack in my heat and mid pack overall. Very happy for my first national event.

In route with my car loaded up with gear:

Decaled/magneted up with the required things for the tour and contigency programs in the paddock:

In grid between runs:

Action shot by Tradd Slayton. Hoping he has a few more so I could buy a few from him.

Saturday, challenge day which was 3 morning runs in each of the 4 heats. the top 16 in PAX Index for each heat moved forward. I wasn't one unfortunately.

Getting prepped in the cold 39F morning:

Keeping Warm in grid:

Getting ready for Run #1 in heat #2:

Registered
Good luck in the National level competition!
I saw your car at the Triad TNT event up in Danville.
If I see you again up there this year, I'll say hello.

Unless my new wife really likes autox, my Red Focus will be at home and I'll be there with only my Blue STR Miata(gold wheels).

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #18
Good luck in the National level competition!
I saw your car at the Triad TNT event up in Danville.
If I see you again up there this year, I'll say hello.

Unless my new wife really likes autox, my Red Focus will be at home and I'll be there with only my Blue STR Miata(gold wheels).
Do you usually run with Triad? I'll be going between Triad, BRR, CCR and Nationals this year so it's very likely we'll see each other. Definitely come say hi!

I couldn't drive to save my life at the TnT this year. Thank goodness I figured it out last weekend as that would have been terrible!

Registered
Do you usually run with Triad? I'll be going between Triad, BRR, CCR and Nationals this year so it's very likely we'll see each other. Definitely come say hi!

I couldn't drive to save my life at the TnT this year. Thank goodness I figured it out last weekend as that would have been terrible!
THSCC(Tar Heel Sports Car Club) is my primary club, but I run a few TSCC events each year. The surface at Danville is falling apart quickly and becoming more challenging.
It is a bit longer haul for you, but THSCC runs a couple events at NCCAR and the track surface is fantastic.

FUBARCUS
Discussion Starter #20
THSCC(Tar Heel Sports Car Club) is my primary club, but I run a few TSCC events each year. The surface at Danville is falling apart quickly and becoming more challenging.
It is a bit longer haul for you, but THSCC runs a couple events at NCCAR and the track surface is fantastic.
I've heard stories about the surface at NCCAR and have been debating on going or not. The drive is pushing it for me in terms of wanting to do it and having energy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts