Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I m replacing my drums. I'm using the method where you take the 30mm nut off and pull the drum off, not unbolting the 4 bolts holding the whole bearing assembly. I got the passenger side off no problem, slid right off. Now the driver's side is not coming off. I probably got 2+ hours trying to remove it..I took the 30mm nut off and started pulling. It wants to come off but won't. I even tried bolting the wheel on the drum with the nut off for more leverage. On the spindle it looks like something snapped off, like a head to a bolt. I read here (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64923) there was a recall that put a 10mm bolt on the spindle to hold the nut on....Is this what it is? Did the former owner not know this and snap it off?

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Adjuster on the side that came off easy probably quit working a while ago, that's why it came off easy - too loose.

Hadn't seen a prev. comment like that about a bolt installed to lock the nut on, if the nut is off you're all set there.

Look at the drum that's off & note the ridge at the edge that the shoes don't hit - that's what catches on the shoes & makes it a PAIN to remove.

I've had some that despite banging & wiggling just won't slide off without pulling hard enough to break the pins holding the shoes to the backing plate & dinging the shoes on the way off. One reason not to touch them unless it's time for total replacement.

·
Registered
753 Posts
A picture would help to see what you're talking about.

As for the drum not coming off, the shoes ARE catching.. or the drum is stuck on the spindle
As for removing them, I did this not long ago and it was a pita.
I used a hand sledgehammer and a strong flat head. I found good pry spots and held pressure at these spots and struck the drum in different locations.

As what sailor says, you could try breaking the two pins that can be found on the inside plate of the drums.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473489&page=2

·
Registered
521 Posts
Rent the puller, or buy one. Make sure you get one intended for small cars, so you have enough thread to pull it. These drums are definitely a pain.

Toby

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Yes the recalled cars got a small bolt in the center that was left hand threaded, why most of them will be found broken off, they break super easy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill try and get pics tomorrow. I got a quote from a parts store for a rear brake rebuild- (drums,shoes,hardware kit and brake cylinders) for $140. After this its going to be SVT suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts