Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through part after part trying to fix and replace stuff to remove a stutter I was having under load. I thougth at first the O2 was fried, the MAF, then the TPS, then the plugs (which are coppers but looked good still), the Hypnotic tune... so I went with my last resort the fuel filter... WOW was that thing screwed up.

when I pulled off the output hose from the filter a lil gas ran out... looking at its position that should have been all the fuel coming down teh input hose also... I removed the inbound side, and fuel gushed out... When I got the filter out you could feel its filled with gas still... I poured it over and there was like a half a cup of fuel in it... and NOT coming out the other side!

that filter had to be loaded! it was 35K on that filter.

When I replaced it... went for a drive... instant improvement, better consistency in the whole power curve, no missing, no surging, heaven.

Ive owned many cars, never have I had one load up its fuel filter this fast. weird. But an easy fix :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
it's amazing what kind of prblems that a fuel filter can cause.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Haha, Yup, I had the SAME problem, Horrible stutter at idle, and surging when driving. I replaced everything you have. Mine has 40k on the clock now, and I changed out my fuel filter about 2 weeks ago, and yup. INSTANT improvement. ITs amazing. Simple 8 dollar part.

Chris

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Haha, Yup, I had the SAME problem, Horrible stutter at idle, and surging when driving. I replaced everything you have. Mine has 40k on the clock now, and I changed out my fuel filter about 2 weeks ago, and yup. INSTANT improvement. ITs amazing. Simple 8 dollar part.

Chris

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeh well at this point atleast I know I have done some solid maint on the car now... a new O2 can never hurt, same with a new TPS, and a cleaned MAF :)

is it just me or was the quick disconnect clips on the input of the filter just a bitch to get open... Oh and dont use plastic cups to catch the gas :) I did and I picked it up just to have the bottom fall out ;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Clegg said:
Oh and dont use plastic cupts to catch the gas :) I did and I picked it up just to have the bottom fall out ;)
hes right, styrofoam cups work much better! *nodnodnod*
(no, not really...this is in fact a VERY BAD idea...unless youre making homemade napalm)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Got a diagram where the filter is? I'm not really sure actually. I think I'll be replacing mine soon, I passed it up on my 30k check up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do a search or look under the How To lists, theres one there that shows how to do it. I have the servce manual CD/DVD that had some nice informative pictures... but in the end you will see you dont really need them :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It's a really easy thing to do..you just need an 8mm socket with extension and some strong fingers to undo the clips...took me less than 15 minutes to do the entire thing....car felt sooo much better and my mpg went up too!

·
Registered
183 Posts
hummm... just rolled over 30k... looks as if i might have to change that damn thing cause I get a tad bit much of the violent snap-the-neck-off surges... I just thought that might be how the damn thing was supose to be... Thank you all for the heads up.

haha... napalm... these idiots made some from my work, lit it... in the bed of their truck... INSTANT Fireball... The frick'n idiot dropped it in the bed of his truck... a couple pounds of sand later the giant flam was put out... along with charred bed box... I work with complete idiots.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fuel filters should be replaced once a year, esp on 4 cylinder cars for peak fuel efficiency and performance. My question is, why would you start with the expensive stuff when your car is running rough? Why not start with the cheaper, easier stuff? That's always been my rule of thumb when doing car maintenance...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And yeh I saw severe off throttle surges like i just cut the iginition or something... all thats gone now :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PapoSwing said:
Is there a particular filter that would outperform the stock motorcraft?
I did lots of reading and it seems fuel filters are fuel filters... From waht I read the Fram/Wix/Motorcraft are all almost exactly the same. I used a fram cause its what the parts place had... I figure if I change it once a year... it doesnt really matter whats used :)

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
I have 74,000 miles on my svt...bought it used at 50,000 miles. Hmmmm, i wonder how long i have been driving on a bum filter. Where is the location of the filter?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahead of the fuel tank which is ahead of the passenger rear wheel

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
thanks....whats the part number for what i am guessing would be a motorcraft filter? Ill be doing this probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you need to jack the back of the car up pretty high, once you do that its easy to get to.you crawl under the car right about under the passenger side seat/footwell are. So as long as you can fit under there and use tools under there you are golden. I am a fat arse and I could do it with a jack that has a 19" saddle height and 2 jacks stands one under each rear LCA.

Oh and I did this in my apartment's parking garage (which is where I do all my work on my car) so if I can do it there you surely can in a driveway/garage. finger dexterity to unlock the quick disconnects is about all you really need beyond the 8mm socket and extention.

Just be sure to read the how to, you have to de-pressurize the fuel rail or you will get LOTS of gas coming out when you open the line.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts