Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Fort Wayne, IN and this is my first Ford. Have owned 10 different makes of cars over the last 50+ years.

The end of last August, I decided to purchase a Ford Focus LT 2.0L SPI SOHC used, it only had 3 previous owners, a rental company and an individual, and the guy I purchased it from who only had it about a month or so, as he intended to sell it.

I really don't know it is an LT or SE, as there is no marking or trim plates that indicate the sub model. As form my research it seems to be either or when it comes to mechanics work.

I finally got the story on the car from him. I had to inquire simply because, as I was going over the car and things, just, did not make sense. The body and interior was in good shape but the under side was really rusted. The trouble light was on constant, and this made me investigate the code meanings. So I tackled each code one at a time.

Seems the previous owner to the seller, drove the heck out of the and had a front end bump. as it has new bumper and one headlight. It is said that she went out to the car one day, it would not start, so she walked away and went out and purchased a new car, leaving the car set where it was on in a field for a year and half or more. Reason for all the heavy duty rust, I assume.

It seems that the only thing they ever did to this car was change the oil a few of times. When I replaced the spark plugs, I could not believe the center was nothing but a small point, but the gap was in specs.

So my journey began to slowly solve the 4 codes. This lead me to Ford Fanatics website over my research, I read many of the post and found them very helpful to understand some components of the car.

I have always been a DIY guy when possible, and now as a retired person I have to time to tackle what I can to get the trouble light off. Thanks in part to Ford Fanatics I am down to one code remaining.

This is my 1st Automatic Transmission since I started driving. Hard to get use to not shifting the gears. Firm believer in manual transmissions and to have that extra control over the car.

So I thought I would join the group that helped me so much without them knowing it.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,118 Posts
Welcome! So I assume in all the searching you have done on the SPI, I have one as well...and in indiana too! IS about the valve seats dropping effectively killing the engine if not caught quickly then having to fix it for around 600-800 dollars.

Glad you found the site helpful, it can answer about any question that you have.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Welcome!

Exactly the same way I became a member here. When I bought my first SVT Focus I had no idea what SVT meant. Every search I did led me to here lol.

We started with 1 Focus...now I have 6 [grinking]

[loveff]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! So I assume in all the searching you have done on the SPI, I have one as well...and in indiana too! IS about the valve seats dropping effectively killing the engine if not caught quickly then having to fix it for around 600-800 dollars.

Glad you found the site helpful, it can answer about any question that you have.
I test drove the care and it has great pick up, start with just a hit of the key, and idles great. Have not noticed any sticking valves or rough idles. It has over 95,000 miles.

The only problems I am working on now is the ignored maintenance the previous owners did not think it was worth doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts