Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car on Friday. By Monday I was ready to give it back. I discovered you can't fit a set of golf clubs in the back area. And the luggage area seemed to get smaller the more I looked at it. Then, while reading another thread, I discovered that the back seat bottoms tilt up so the seat backs lay flat. Yeah! ( I hadn't gotten that far in the manual and apparently the salesman didn't know.) The golf clubs still don't fit so I lose at least one back seat but the area is much more usable.
The problem is when the seats are tipped forward they make the 12v outlet on the back of the console unusable. I need power points for a windshield-mounted GPS, radar detector, two phone chargers and laptop. I'd planned to put a splitter/USB on the back one for the phone(USB), laptop, and the radar detector (via an extension cord). The plug under the armrest doesn't really have room for two devices. Plus, I'm not crazy about having to run extension cords from the dash back to the plug.

Does anyone have a similar problem (too much stuff and not enough power) and an elegant solution?
Thanks for all the great info,

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If you'd opted for the SEL w/ Sync + USB you'd have had 2 USB inputs in the center console PLUS the 2 12v sockets, just to throw that out there. However, the best you'll be able to do is probably find a 12v splitter in which the plug and actual splitter are separate, i.e. the 12v plug is WIRED to the rest of the splitter, then the issue with the front arm rest might be avoided.

That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think you'll struggle to find anyone else that needs THAT much equipment in their Focus. [facepalm]

Why are you surprised that a compact car is too small for you when you have that laundry list of stuff to do at the same time? Buy the proper class of car or get used to having your golf clubs take up the rear seat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you'll struggle to find anyone else that needs THAT much equipment in their Focus. [facepalm]

Why are you surprised that a compact car is too small for you when you have that laundry list of stuff to do at the same time? Buy the proper class of car or get used to having your golf clubs take up the rear seat.
If the folded-up rear seat and the armrest weren't in the way my "laundry list of stuff" wouldn't be a problem.

I was previously driving a Toyota Echo. Plenty of room for a couple of sets of golf clubs in the trunk. And I think it's pretty much a compact car. My bad that I didn't check before buying but my experience indicated it should be OK.

Are there any elegant solutions to not enough power points? Has anyone added any?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you'd opted for the SEL w/ Sync + USB you'd have had 2 USB inputs in the center console PLUS the 2 12v sockets, just to throw that out there. However, the best you'll be able to do is probably find a 12v splitter in which the plug and actual splitter are separate, i.e. the 12v plug is WIRED to the rest of the splitter, then the issue with the front arm rest might be avoided.

That's all I can think of.
I'll try that. Thanks.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Two phone chargers and a laptop to go GOLFING? What are you doing out on the course?

All that aside, can you daisy chain and charge your phones off your laptop while that uses up a plug?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two phone chargers and a laptop to go GOLFING? What are you doing out on the course?

All that aside, can you daisy chain and charge your phones off your laptop while that uses up a plug?
The power outlet problem only arises during road trips not just to go golfing.[hihi]
I'll be able to charge one phone (my wife's) from the USB in the console. Good idea to charge the other one from the laptop. Thanks.
But, I'll need 3 outlets for the GPS, radar detector, and laptop. Plus because the one existing plug is so far from the dash, I'll have to run extension cords to the GPS and radar detector. Can I hide those somewhere? Can I add another plug to the rear of the console that doesn't get blocked by the seat bottoms?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Run extension cords alongside paneling, you can probably run them alongside the center console by stuffing them underneath the plastic, and then run it up along the glove compartment and up to the dashboard for a decently clean look.

you could also consider getting another radar detector and hardwiring one of them into your car, eliminates the need to run that one off of a 12v plug.

Adding another socket would be simple if you're good with soldering and electronics, but you'd need to dremel out a spot where you'd want it... splice it into the existing harness for the other 12v socket and mount it up. Idk how involved you'd want to get and I don't know the complexity of removing the center console on this car... on my last car it took 2 minutes and was very simple.

Best bet is probably my solution above, using a splitter. Try and find one that functions more like a surge protector... plug w/ wire that leads to a strip of 12v sockets or even DC power wall sockets you'd find at home, I know they make em, was looking into it at Best Buy the other day so I could check out hooking up a gaming system to the MFT system. Some of them also have USB ports too!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sounds to me if power connectivity is your prob then a trip to monoprice.com should fix you up for cheap. I use a bunch of their accessories and they all work perfectly fine.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a hatch with a subwoofer and take my drivers out before puting (full size stand) golf bag in diagonally, then drivers on top of the bag. Seats up.

When I put my bike in the back, I drop the seats but dont raise the rear seat bottoms because the bike doesnt really need fold flat and it gives me more room to push my driver's seat back.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Seems like all this may overload the electrical system with a chance of fire with all those connections/extension cords. Then we will have a burning car on the news and blaming Ford that they need to recall the brand new Focus. They aren't meant to support these loads.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If the folded-up rear seat and the armrest weren't in the way my "laundry list of stuff" wouldn't be a problem.

I was previously driving a Toyota Echo. Plenty of room for a couple of sets of golf clubs in the trunk. And I think it's pretty much a compact car. My bad that I didn't check before buying but my experience indicated it should be OK.

Are there any elegant solutions to not enough power points? Has anyone added any?
Doing your homework before buying a car can save a lot of hassles.

First, I'm also curious as to why you didn't take the car for a test drive home and see if the clubs fit? I talked to my sales guy, and he said I can have a car for the weekend to see if it does all the things I want it to do.

Second, someone on here already posted about golf clubs in the Focus. In the hatchback they don't fit unless you take out your driver (I think that was the result). The sedan fits a set of golf clubs just fine (since the Echo only came in sedan, a better comparison).

I'm sorry, but if you didn't do your homework before buying your car, then I don't have much to say except do what you need to make it work, but don't complain that it doesn't do what you thought it would, but never checked to see if it would.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Area space of the sedan is bigger, but the door entry is very shallow, making it difficult to fit anything large size into it.

Also, while the area space of the sedan is larger, you are limited to the height you can put it. The hatch is only limited by the inside roof, so the cubic volume of space is much larger in the hatch.

The sedan is also just a hint longer, giving that little extra length in the trunk needed to fit the longer items.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'll need 3 outlets for the GPS, radar detector, and laptop.
Couldn't you hard wire the power cords for the GPS and Radar detector into the fuse block and run the cords behind the dash for those two devices? This would give them their own fuses.

·
Registered
781 Posts
people still use radar detectors? cops still use radar? i thought they had all gone to laser by now...

well, don't speed and you can drop the detector from your list. that should help.

maybe getting a solar charger for cell phone/gps. i have a Joos Orange and it works great. you can always leave it on the dash to soak up some sun. doesn't drain your car, and is a bit eco-friendly. it's very rugged too, will survive some throwing around the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doing your homework before buying a car can save a lot of hassles.
SNIP
I'm sorry, but if you didn't do your homework before buying your car, then I don't have much to say except do what you need to make it work, but don't complain that it doesn't do what you thought it would, but never checked to see if it would.
You know you make some really good points. All things I "should" have done. Unfortunately, I fell in love with the looks of the car and assumed it would all work out. And I think it will. My posts weren't intended to be complaints, just statements of problems. BTW other folks have said the same thing about the inconvenience of the outlets especially the one tucked under the edge of armrest.

I came here to thank folks re. the seat bottoms and to get ideas. So, now after your rant about my lacks do you have any ideas on how "to make it work"?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
You know you make some really good points. All things I "should" have done. Unfortunately, I fell in love with the looks of the car and assumed it would all work out. And I think it will. My posts weren't intended to be complaints, just statements of problems. BTW other folks have said the same thing about the inconvenience of the outlets especially the one tucked under the edge of armrest.

I came here to thank folks re. the seat bottoms and to get ideas. So, now after your rant about my lacks do you have any ideas on how "to make it work"?
Did you look at my lost post? Gave you 2 links with splitters. One was 2 USB+ 2 12v outlets. One was just 4 12v outlets.

I'm tryin my best bud!

EDIT: the 2nd option with 2USB/2 12v has a fuse to avoid surge/overload by just blowing out the fuse.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts