Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im am very thankful for the 4 disk braking of the svt if not for them i would prolly be on the side of the road with a deer in my seat!!!!but i got slowed down just in time i dunno what would have happened in a car with reg brakes!! so YAY for the brakse[woot]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I know the feeling man. I was merging one day and looking over my shoulder only to see a new Audi A4 stopped right in front of me dead ahead, stood on the pedal, ABS went crazy but I somehow got stopped in time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeah a real life saver i gope my next car has the same! if not i might get screwed thinking they are as good

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank god you didnt hit that audi haha im sure the insurance would have skyrocketed because of the bill

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hear ya man. A fairly large tree branch fell off directly in front of me covering the both lanes of the road. I was going about 45-50 when this happened, stomped on the breaks, abs kicked in, stopped just short, I mean like inches from going in.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Yup. I had some moron - who realized he didn't want to get on the parkway we were entering - suddenly turn left in front of me from the RIGHT turn lane as I was in the left turn lane going straight and about to put the on-ramp hammer down. ON SLUSH. But the ABS and overall general excellent capabilities of the SVT (not to mention my cat-like reflexes) enabled me to cut an arc inside of his and JUST miss the bozo.

That was the first of two times the SVT saved my ass from an accident with an idiot.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago... heading home, dark outside, doing about 60 mph... had the low beams on when I see something in the road ahead. I slow down a bit and just then I noticed a big ol' white-tail deer running WITH me in traffic. I jammed on the brakes, ABS kicked in, avoided a big mess. I love the SVT's brakes, theyre amongst the best Ive experienced.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
This is what would have happened.... but unfortunately not even the 4 disc brakes could have stopped this car in time [;)]

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
^^ Ouch!!!

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Hmm all the more reason for me to convert...... Anyone ever heard of an ABS conversion? Lol
ABS doesn't necessarily shorten your stopping distance; it allows you to steer under hard braking. Just so you're aware. [thumb]

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
wow. that sucks. it could have been worse, so in that aspect, glad you are safe.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ABS doesn't necessarily shorten your stopping distance; it allows you to steer under hard braking. Just so you're aware. [thumb]
x2

Best stopping distance: pressure on 'til you're right at the threshold of tire sliding and ABS kicking in. Once the ABS is going, you're only getting brake force applied 1/2 the time while you're trying to stop. Thankfully, with good rubber and our brakes, that threshold is pretty damn high... haha.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
just remember, ur braking is as much as ur brakes as in ur tires!! imagine the difference between 100-0 on winter tires vrs. Racing compounds like yokohoma A048s!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts