Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 SES 4 Door Sedan 2.0L Duratec Automatic
104k miles (purchased with <6k miles on it)
Well maintained, drives great, no issues.

So the daughter has decided to spend a winter in Big Sky Montana. So my job is to make sure it's up to the trip and will be trouble free. So what I've done:
4 new all season tires
Oil change
MAF Cleaned
Flushed cooling system
Changed fuel filter
Front pads replaced 10K ago
Replaced rear shoes, wheel cylinders, bearings & brake hardware
Flushed brake fluid
Flushed power steering fluid
Transmission fluid and filter changed
Checked charging system - no problems
Serpentine belt replaced 15K ago
Wiper blades replaced
Front and rear defrosters work
AC works fine (checked pressures, all is good)
Wheel Alignment and suspension check
All 3 engine mounts replaced say 20k ago with all Ford parts

Anything I've missed? San Antonio is as far north as I've lived so I'm no expert on maintaining a car for the wild and wooly north.

Thanks, Milton

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
I'd go with a bit higher percentage of antifreeze than 50% and the oil needs a first number of 5W rather than the 10W we can use all year long here if not already.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep the oil is 5w.
I replaced the rear shocks.
On the list is front struts and bearings.
Block heater, I'll see if she will have a place to plug it in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh regarding the antifreeze, the record low for Bozeman is -43F, so I went with 60%, should protect down to -62F.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
That sounds good.

Odd how that combination works so well, glycol by itself will slush up when it gets cold so you don't want too much of that either. Right mix does wonders.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's leaving for Montana this Friday. This what I've done:
-Oil change
-Power steering fluid change
-Coolant flush 60/40 percent
-Brake fluid flush
-4 New All weather tires (Balanced)
-4 Wheel alignment
-Rear brakes
---New shoes
---New wheel cylinders
---New brake hardware
---Parking brake adjustment
-New rear suspension struts
-New front suspension strut & spring assemblies
-New rear wheel bearings
-New front wheel bearings
-Checked and the ATF was changed 20Kmiles ago
-New full sized spare tire (cost only $11)
-Charging system checked good
-Block heater: these are not really stocked in San Antonio. I'll have her look into one in Montana

Drives like a dream even over 110mph.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you check the throttle body inside. I have the same Focus SES in a 2011 with 102K miles and mine was pretty dirty inside. Cleaned it out with throttle body cleaner and it made a difference. It got rid of the slight rough idle that I was having and throttle response was improved.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. I've never had a problem with the throttle body. Never had any kind of idle or performance problem. I do clean the MAF every oil change (6,000 miles). Change fuel filter every 30,000 and run a bottle of Techron every 6,000 miles.

The car has never failed to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok the daughter made it to Big Sky Montana with no problems. Braved ice and snow storms to get there. Now we'll see how it holds up to a winter there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update. Wife and I went to Big Sky to visit the daughter, had a great time in the Boiling River, snowmobiling, dog sledding, eating elk and bison and drinking great local stouts. Oh the focus? It's driving like a champ, no problems at all. It did give some pause to see ice hanging from the wheel wells, but the north is the north. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. Daughter drove it back from Big Sky to San Antonio. About 90 miles into the trip she stops at a convenience store and parks with the nose over the concrete parking bumper. Yep when she backed out it severely damaged the front bumper. She taped it together with some duct tape and completed the trip. I removed the entire front clip and looked it over. The damage was mostly on the right side, some of the mount points were pretty well damaged. I was able to make some repairs using some aluminum stock and put it back together. What I could not fix was the engine shield and the right wheel well liner, they need to be replaced. Unfortunately she was not here long enough for to find replacements. Replaced two rear tires, and got an alignment. She's now back in Big Sky, so the Texas Focus is facing another Montana winter. Other than the above all systems are go!

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
'I was able to make some repairs using some aluminum stock and put it back together.'

Sounds like some of my work. They sure make the lower part of the bumpers flimsy nowadays don't they? The lower parts are barely supported at all, the supporting struts for the lowest grillwork or airslots can break so easy it's not funny.

San Antone, God I love that town................

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
not a bad idea to keep the broken bumper on during the winter should she kiss any snowbanks.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Did minor damage to the underside of mine when newer to me, aluminum/plastic/pop rivets - whatever works to rebuild the damaged section so it bolts back up again right.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I did was form an L-bracket from the aluminum stock. I bolted it to the inside of the bumper with 4 through bolts. It was reinforced with a strip of the same aluminum on the outside. The car is black so I taped off the aluminum reinforcement, spray painted with flat Rustoleum, the clear coat. It all fit back together pretty good and did not look bad. Now just need to find the lower engine shield and wheel liner.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do yourself (or your daughter) a favor: get some snow tires. Here in Quebec/Canada (and we do have snow and cold weather) all season tires are banned, and for good reasons.

I have a 2005 SES Wagon with 4 good snow tires (ask for Nokian, Blizzard) and i faced the first winter storm yesterday, crusing along Subarus on the highway.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, my daughter decided that this winter the all seasons were not cutting it, winter this year in Big Sky is worse than last year. So last week she got a set of Blizzak tires installed. I'll update on her experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts