Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test drove a 2017 RS that had 16k miles on it today. Test drive was good, not sure it felt like 350 hp to me but it did have plenty of power. Weather was in the upper 30's and windy but a nice day otherwise.

So I got back to the dealer and parked the car. Was still trying to get comfortable in the seat and wanted to drive some more. Before taking off again I cycled through all the drive modes and just left it back on normal. Try to take off and there is no power, felt like I was trying to take off in 3rd gear. Once I got moving it was ok. Then get all sorts of warning messages … selected mode not available, awd not available, saw the abs and traction light turn on. I restart did seem to reset everything but it happened again, the abs light might have been still on. But I think I went through the modes again.

Some searching I have done indicates that the exhaust valve could at least cause the driving mode available message, but would it also cause the awd not available message? Is there a chance for much bigger issues or is it just random as I read about?

Possible down side is the car is at a Volkswagen dealer so I am not sure of they will be able to figure the issue out or not.

Looking for any input people have. Thanks

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My suggestion would be to join a Focus RS forum. You will get great feedback very fast.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
BrApple, you should remember back when I used to rail against Contours and how Ford was going backward rather than forward in car development of the time.

That has not changed except to only get worse. I have two earlier Focus that have been horrible cars for nuisance breakage, and those are the GOOD ones. I have seen and heard enough that now I will never own a Ford again ever.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BrApple, you should remember back when I used to rail against Contours and how Ford was going backward rather than forward in car development of the time.

That has not changed except to only get worse. I have two earlier Focus that have been horrible cars for nuisance breakage, and those are the GOOD ones. I have seen and heard enough that now I will never own a Ford again ever.
That's to bad. My 2012 SE has been very good. Knock on wood I have only had a few minor things over 100k miles since getting the car brand new. Only reason I am looking now is I am not sure I will find anything I will want to drive in 2-3 years if I kept my 2012. And I'm not really ready to get rid of it yet, plenty of good life left.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
I for one jumped to Nissan and both the ones I have are nothing like the Fords in terms of pre-50K mile breakages. Nothing has happened at all. One is the CVT though, we'll see how well that goes, it can be as bad as the Ford DCT issue. I can rebuild a CVT though if needed, but parts getting may be a problem.

Part of the issue is me and my meticulous ways, I can take any car that anybody else thinks has no problems and find enough in 5 minutes to fill a book. Most people have not a clue of how much stuff is going bad on cars, they don't look if it does not make them walk home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts