Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in to test drive a 2017 SEL with my daughter. She needs a reliable car for the commute to college 35 miles away. Our 2003 has 212k miles and I can't trust it with her on the road alone. So we went to test drive a new one. We had already done research online for what she wanted. She has a part-time job so she needs her own car now for work and school. We were sent to a young 19 year old sales person. I voiced my concern about the DCT and wanted to test drive any Focus witht the DCT. He admittd he was aware of DCT problems and that they had been solved by the 2016 year. After driving one around town and putting it through the paces, I was pleasantly surprised. As I was driving it as I normally do with an automatic, the car shifted fine, If I didn't know better, I would have sworn it was a normal automatic. The SEL hatch and color was not on the lot but is awaiting delivery on the next truck. An older sales person appeared with the paper work for us to sign. I asked if the start stop was in the car as I had not noticed. He said he didn't know. What the heck!! Why didn;t he know? Are we supposed to know every detail before we travel to a dealer?
Anyway, we expect delivery end of this week and I just wanted to give my experience with the DCT in a 2017 SEL that I test drove. Just a little disappointed in the senior sales staff.
It is so much more car than our 2003 .ZX5

·
Registered
422 Posts
Only time will tell if the DCT problems have been fixed. Mine is a 2016 with a build date 11-2015. I just recently took it in and they fixed the transmission issue. Mine was starting to shudder kind of bad. Good luck if you try to get it.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Not fixed but made less likely to happen but it still is going to suck for the ones that do get a problematic one.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
there are definitely good ones. i have a 2014 that i bought brand new and i have had zero issues with my transmission.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Hunt down a 5 speed quick and tell them you'll take that. The car is so much more fun and quicker to drive than the DCT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So there are good ones and bad ones? I just drove a good one?
Well... that transmission is new so you may not experience any problems until it gets some triple digit mileage under its belt. Mine is a 2016 and the transmission was flawless until 3000 or so miles.... then I started feeling a light shudder from take off, albeit, its very intermittent but I currently have 13566 miles on the odometer and the car has only been in the shop for scheduled maintenance. I really cannot fully trust the DCT so I honestly cannot recommend anyone to by a focus which is equipped with one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So there are good ones and bad ones? I just drove a good one?
Well... that transmission is new so you may not experience any problems until it gets some triple digit mileage under its belt. Mine is a 2016 and the transmission was flawless until 3000 or so miles.... then I started feeling a light shudder from take off, albeit, its very intermittent but I currently have 13566 miles on the odometer and the car has only been in the shop for scheduled maintenance. I really cannot fully trust the DCT so I honestly cannot recommend anyone to by a focus which is equipped with one.
Yep. I also forgot to mention my mileage. My car felt perfect until recently as well. I took it in to the dealership with 15,000 miles on it. It felt perfect before though. I still love my car. I'm just hoping that the problem is fixed

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just took over my wifes 16 with DCT, it started acting up on her at 3k miles but i could never get her to understand how to drive it to minimize the problem. Ive been driving it for 2 weeks and its running ok for me but it does get a little weird when its very humid. Over all this car is a go cart, I love it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is beginning to sound like what I have read before. I was hoping the 2017 was different. I guess time will tell. I couldn't talk her into a stick as she was sold on the SEL hatch.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is beginning to sound like what I have read before. I was hoping the 2017 was different. I guess time will tell. I couldn't talk her into a stick as she was sold on the SEL hatch.
Don't worry about the transmission issues. My wife's 14 started to shudder around 55,000 miles, it went in and was rebuilt in a single day, been fine ever since and she now has 82,000 miles on it. My 17 SEL is driven daily 120 miles round trip, it hasn't skipped a beat yet. If you are worried about the DCT then get the extended warranty. These cars are being fire sale'd so cheaply that they are worth the risk.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My daughter shamed about all of her male friends by being able to drive a 5-speed (and after learning, prefered it). Her first car was an autotragic.

She should at least try to drive a 5-speed, the human factors engineering is spot on, and the clutch engages where nearly all humanity thinks it should (i.e. at the top of the pedal range...); wrongly, mind you, but I digress.

My wife, who hadn't driven a manual gear shift car in years (10 at least), got in it, and drove it straight away.

It does take a little extra concentration and involvement, but that's exactly what my daughter liked about it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
There is the Focus with the 1.0l EcoBoost engine offered with the normal 6 speed automatic transmission. Just a suggestion :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 14 had the clutches replaced at 65k. The DCT did start to act up but did a little bit of maintenance by replacing the mounts and found the vent tube for the transmission had fallen off at some time so I replaced it and my DCT issues went away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In May, we bought my wife a new SEL Sedan with the DCT to replace her unfortunately totaled 2010 SE. The car currently has 2700 miles on it and we live in hot/humid Southern Maryland. We currently have not experienced any issues. I can't say there won't be issues, but as of yet, there have been none.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts