Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See a lot of YouTube videos showing this, but from like Chinese countries or whatnot. No real installation guides or anything. Has anyone thought of trying one of these? I'd be mainly interested in it for the purpose of running Waze or other Android applications.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see several variants on eBay. They have a smaller 4.4" version and the full vertical 10.4" screen. Looks to be between $300-500. I just figure, that dang LockPick tool costs almost $400, so I'd rather dump my money on something like this. But it doesnt look like anyone here in the forum has tried it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah I'm seeing that as well. They all seem light on details.

You could always lead the way. Pick one up and tell us how it goes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I'm thinking I may do that lol. I'm pretty technically inclined, but the Focus is a new breed of machine for me (coming from a Dodge Neon lol). Only thing I'm curious to find out is how it's matched to the climate control, open doors, and steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't been able to find any kind of user guide or install manual. I never used sync for climate control, but I wouldn't want to lose the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, doing a general Google search for Tesla Style radio installs, it seems that other forums are in the same boat as far as "no instructions" anywhere.

Anyway, when I'm in the budget for it I'm definitely going to give it a try. Will definitely be exciting, and I'll definitely do some sort of write up for it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is some info in the sync/audio part of the forum. Like this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/car-audio-sync-myford-touch-electronics/650641-android-radio.html

Most dealers have several pictures of the unit and installation process. The funny thing is that it's usually several different looking HU's in the pictures. Which one will you get? Possibly something else entirely. Funny stuff.

It seems that some people consider it important that the sync hardware is compatible with Android HU. If compatible the Android HU can make use of stuff like the sync mic which is usually a lot better (and better positioned) than the one in the Android HU.

I'm going to purchase one that look pretty integrated. I don't like those that look like a 10" tablet stuck on top of the dash.

Looking for something like this:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1887/3741/products/TB2CjOuo80lpuFjSszdXXcdxFXa__220380695_600x600.jpg?v=1500070932

·
Registered
593 Posts
Has anyone went forward with this radio install in their focus?
Saw it on fleabay and was kinda considering it as im tired of my radio issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought one. I live in Ontario, Canada. its an awesome addition to the car for anyone that doesn't have sync 3. Ive done a lot of reading on this forum but this is my first ever post and unfortunately I don't know how to upload pictures.

all in all, I would definitely recommend buying one.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Ned a few more posts to load links to pictures, when you have them I understand phone apps are the easiest way to load them directly instead of linking to a photo hosting site.

Photobucket KILLED our old pictures...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought one. I live in Ontario, Canada. its an awesome addition to the car for anyone that doesn't have sync 3. Ive done a lot of reading on this forum but this is my first ever post and unfortunately I don't know how to upload pictures.

all in all, I would definitely recommend buying one.

Which site did you order from? I'm in Ontario as well and considering one of these units as well.

Which trim level do you have? The Parking Assist package has me hesitant on removing the factory unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got mine from phoenix androids. Got the 2GB ram variant. Took less time that I expected to get it! For me it was about $540aus. I've taken photos as I unboxed it as well including the back which I'll eventually be able to post up. Installation planned either when I get home early from work or on the weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well there was one thing missing in my box instructions. Least I have got 20yrs pc technical experience. So I know how to take things apart and put them back together. Already got the vents installed now as well. Now to remove the rest of the stuff from my 2013 focus titanium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was actually impressed how its literally plug and play.
When I unboxed it and seen all the wires I thought there was no way it could all just be so simple, but sure enough as I started the process it turned out to be quite easy.

start to finish probably took me 2hrs. had to let the dash warm up because it was -20c and didn't want to break any clips.

Good luck with your install, id love to see the pics once you get it in :)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts