Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At RockAuto, Sorry to report this, but my last two orders went wrong....

-one has been returned to warehouse (no reason specified). Yes they sent another one, but it will arrive (if ever....) three weeks after initial order.

- and the other will take (if ever it arrives) on Nov 18th, thats three weeks after order was place. Thats a serpentine belt, not a hood!!!!

- - -

And id you were to have an email service, i wouldnt be here telling you this....

I am thinking about my next car parts suppplier...

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
I've found by digging around that most of the issues with Rock are owner induced. You of course have to figure out just where you fit in that, your post is whoppingly unprecise as to what went wrong there and step #1 of what they do. You have to know EXACTLY what you want, they are not there to imagine the exact parts you need. If you are asking questions then you have already messed up, the questions YOU resolve before ordering any part or don't order. Rock is actually intended for resale clients only and just nice enough to let everybody else in.

From somebody who has ordered from Rock more than I can count and zero issues or mistakes with any of it for many years. And I cannot recall the last time a part took an entire week to get to me either, almost always 3-5 days. Mostly 3 lately.

If you have to have someone mollycoddle you along because you are not sure of what you need or want or when, the OTC parts stores are there and ready to charge you 400% what Rock will and even then they often do not help many enough to avoid the issues the unlearned can get themselves into. Rock intentionally became much harder to deal with by the public as the idiots were driving them nuts in wasted time and returns not justified, they can't make money like that because they charge so little. I used to work parts and believe me, the customers more often than not are happy to piss off everyone standing in line behind them to insist for an hour on unobtanium parts that do not exist and then they go out the door mad anyway. Fully 85% of the DIYers have no business under the hood of a modern ECM controlled car to begin with, they are in no way smart enough to do the work. I ordered uncountable parts that were close enough to work but the unlearned when they see a part that varies in the slightest refuse to buy it claiming it is the wrong part when all it is is a mod made to same part to make it easier to manufacture thus cheaper. Nope, you can't knock that into their heads with a sledgehammer. I even called Thor and he said no way BTDT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
amc49

Good post, but based on their advertising Rock Auto clearly is going after the DIY folks. Otherwise I fully agree with the rest of what you say.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am the OP. And i dont agree with what AMC49 said.

If AMC49 was to read again my post, he WOULD realize that my complaint is about NOT receiving the part. And even if Rock is sending replacement parts, i still dont have them, 3 weeks AFTER i ordered: TWO separates order from 3 different warehouses have either been returned to warehouse (by carrier themselve, not me) or lost somewhere.

Where exactly have i said that the parts were wrong and that i was blaming Rock for that?

And thanks for saying i am an idiot.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
If OP would THINK then he could easily realize that the issue is likely not Rock at ALL.

'...-one has been returned to warehouse (no reason specified).'

The mark of an undeliverable package, the delivery guy couldn't find the address or could not contact someone at it if needed. Not Rock's fault there. Look at the reason given and what the delivery people do. Maybe somebody gave an incompetent unfindable address. Mine is as an example and I have corrected for it years ago to get perfect deliveries every time. Nobody can find where I live at all, yet my problem is resolved.

Once the package returned like that the extra delay was inevitable, Rock MUST wait extra long to get the original package back to prevent theft, EVERYBODY does that. Package now has to come back then work its' way through the system to get sent out again = 3 weeks. NOT their fault, at least not proven yet. Just irrational getting mad like a whacko. Done twice now to get same result..........hilarious.

OP makes our understanding even worse here....

'Yes they sent another one, but it will arrive (if ever....) three weeks after initial order.

- and the other will take (if ever it arrives) on Nov 18th, thats three weeks after order was place.'

What on earth does that mean??? A second time and maybe a third?????? If not a third then emphasizing by mentioning it again to whoppingly confuse an already self confused issue! And, ALL of which may well not be the Rock's fault; AGAIN there is ZERO proof of it at all so far. Then partial explanation to clarify that given in later post #4. But still not clear.

I did NOT say you were an idiot, I clearly gave you a way out there but you yourself have declared it so. My words.....

'You of course have to figure out just where you fit in that...'

...making any determination there yours not mine. Learn english and more importantly how it is used. And READ.

My first sentence.....

'I've found by digging around that most of the issues with Rock are owner induced.'

That includes MORE than just wrong parts, or the english is misunderstood. So does the next....

'...you are not sure of what you need or want or when...'

Take note of my last word there. And not blaming Rock?

'Where exactly have i said that the parts were wrong and that i was blaming Rock for that?'

Your OP title and first two words...........'terrible service........Rock Auto'

Dude, you need to grab something and hold on, you are losing touch with reality.

Look here, Rock is in the same place as everybody else now, they have to rely on delivery companies that wholeheartedly toss your packages in the bushes by the road (BTDT, I have watched and walked over to pull the package out of the bush!) if they cannot make their delivery times then lie about it later. I have countless times watched the trucks on GPS locators to see them go up and down the street while looking at the cellphones instead of the addresses and they wander around like they are on drugs in a daze. I've seen them drive by to claim in seconds the package was delivered when they never even got out and gotten so much free stuff doing it I can't add it all up. I watched them deliver a bunch of packages to the wrong address by over a thousand numbers and 10 blocks away and for a month until I figured out where the packages were going. I even recovered a package that one driver gave to a homeless guy when driver drove past the house 3-4 times without looking at his exact delivery instructions that zero them in on the only house it can be for a 1/4 mile. The Uber drivers are the worst and if Amazon begins their own delivery service that one is worst of the worst too. Packages have showed up at 1:00 in the MORNING! Fed-Ex used to be worst and now the best, UPS so-so. Best of course is USPS Priority mail. Coincidentally the only one who still even bothers to knock at the door, the others don't. Amazon delivery doesn't walk up to the house, they toss package by the sidewalk so others can pick it up. I get up to 3 deliveries a week just so you know. You have to stay on top of them.

When the delivery people dropped all notices on doors of delivery and simply began to throw the packages wherever with zero proof all bets went out the window. The OP issue here is likely the delivery company or a incorrect address that continually throws them off and it needs to be corrected. Rock is likely NOT responsible for that. And I have no special interest in Rock at all other than all their deliveries now come in 3-5 days and mostly 3. I fixed my issue, I suggest you find out what yours is and fix it too.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
To post #3....................I did auto parts for a long while in two stints. The latter confirmed my beliefs forming in the former, that people by and large were falling behind the 8 ball in terms of individual understanding and ability. From post #2.....

'Fully 85% of the DIYers have no business under the hood of a modern ECM controlled car to begin with, they are in no way smart enough to do the work.'

I was not kidding with that number although it may go either way maybe 5%-10%. Most of the people reduced to working on their own cars do so out of necessity forced by lack of money and not by being skilled at it. That still puts them in the DIY category which is one of the most misused there is. The parts chains are 100% aware of it and where the super screwing of you lifetime warranty came from. It allowed lower quality than before Chinese parts to flood the markets and the uninformed think they are still the same caliber of parts they were before. And look at the prices, they have roughly doubled since I quit in '12. If you use OTC parts you ARE screwing yourself and they know it, I watched managers joke all day long about how dumb most of the clientele was that came into the stores.

That is just in dealing with the parts, then we go to the actual repairs, the typical DIYer is absolutely incompetent at much of it. I watched them bring back broken part after broken part or parts with nothing wrong with them because they diagnosed the wrong part as the issue. When the vendors began to get mad at all the fake returns we were giving them ('85% of all returns have absolutely nothing wrong with them at all'....from a rebuilder alliance report) I at least in our store began to review all returns with the result that most went right back out on the shelves and closely watched to see if the next person brought them back as bad too. It pretty much did not happen proving the idiot who brought it back was just that.

The rule...............when a person decides to do DIY he takes it ALL on at the time, he is saying he is smart enough to get the delivery of part in a timely manner, he can install it correctly after having properly diagnosed the problem and he takes nothing back as a return other than a rare bad part or a core. Most people fail the utter crap out of that at some point. Yeah, they are still DIYers but of the kind the businesses loathe other than the OTC guys, they instead turned it into prices so high they should be against the law in many cases. There is always somebody that can crunch numbers in a way to make even losers make you tons of money.

So, DIY away, most have no business doing it at all, but the OTCs love you for it. Why I quit them, I tend to look at how bad my company screws people and I get out once it crosses a certain point. I gotta be able to look at myself in the mirror every day.

·
Registered
466 Posts
chill, bro. you just wrote a novel dissecting a post from a stranger on the internet

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
rock auto has generally been pretty good. if you can navigate the landscape of so many crap parts.

the OP is in Canada, which is why 3 week shipping. i see it myself.

i did get a bad part once. box was correct, bearing was wrong dimension, and no number stamped into part to help identify. since too much time had passed i couldn't return and had to try to warranty it. you don't get shipping costs refunded in warranty, so basically the cost of shipping the part internationally, was the cost of what i would have gotten back. so now i have a paperweight.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
'chill, bro. you just wrote a novel dissecting a post from a stranger on the internet'

Others besides you read the threads and may learn something, however it is not against the law to want to stay stupid......................meaning it's time for you to put your head back into the sand.

Eventually Rock will encounter the same major problem the OTC have had for years now. The returns will be the majority of the 'new' parts going out once the DIY idiots have returned so many that the numbers pile up to force it. When I quit parts customers were clamoring over and over for NEW parts in boxes that had never been previously opened, almost everything was returning to the warehouses to then go right back out as opened product, The DIYs are so incompetent they returned more than thousands of parts even making it so the parts shelves looked like crap from all the open boxes torn up, the stores began to look like crap over it. And that doesn't even touch the issues of returns coming back missing a part here or there that was stolen.

Rock is talking less and less to installers in an attempt to run off some of the lesser competence DIYers that cost them so much money. Those are so lost they commonly do not know what part to get then when they have it they cannot put it on, never mind the fact that the odds say it is the wrong part to begin with. Then you get the guy who once the issue has been described you tell him what he is ordering will not fix it and he then brings it back over and over to not grasp the problem was not that, he thinks all the parts he is getting are 'broken or bad'. The bashed up boxes from the other idiots add to that. I watched as people wanted 5 of the same thing before our warehouses ran out of all of them to simply tell them we could no longer get the part for him and refund at LAST and whew! so glad to be rid of HIM!

Those transactions took place with other customers who waited patiently behind the irate one until they got pissed and walked out over and over, the average DIYer has no concept of the fact there are 8 billion other people on the planet besides him that might want something too, they will hold down 50% of your workforce that night from doing his proper job for the next hour if they can. I watched literally hundreds of thousands of hours wasted doing that for DIYers' that were not competent enough to hold a wrench without hurting themselves with it. As a manager I also trimmed many thousands of hours of pure waste off too, yes, it meant somebody did not get what he wanted but many of them want far more than what they pay for. When you added in utterly retarded programs like 'no receipt needed, we research all your transactions' then the losses piled up so fast it was breathtaking. People so stupid they could not remember the phone numbers they put receipts under took up thousands of wasted hours (they begin to guess randomly hoping you can't see what they are doing) while I was there, I came up with a store study showing that between 2 and 3 hours of every single 8 hour day was wasted simply doing stupid tasks like that where the results commonly were a big fat zero time after time.

I got to be expert at curtailing lengthy discussions like that, you must to make any money, the idiots would have you lose it all night long to still not be able to get through to them that the part they want is NOT THE PROBLEM. Most DIYers will claim the part is bad before they ever go near the fact they ordered the wrong part. If you ask how it is bad they can't even tell you. Well of course they can't, they're idiots.

My time doing that is over and I don't care any longer BUT the average DIY guy is the one who starts all that crap off, they have not a clue as to whether they are coming or going. Watch and think while you are standing behind the guy in front of you in the parts store, the odds are that that time you will see it if you are looking.

FYI, I called out Canada as the Rock slow delivery reason too but in a private message...........one bad part? Yeah, it happens.........but if you are getting them over and over it's time to look in the mirror for where your problem likely is, but most of you absolutely CANNOT do that.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
Great point about the DIY's.....Many many times they try to diag their problem(s) while talking to the service writer vs telling the s/w what the vehicle is doing or operating. I really hate it when ppl want their codes scanned & then are asking how to fix/repair their vehicle, which I tell them to take it to a shop & have the shop deal w/ it. Or how 'bout when ppl call about a part & keeps asking about it or its the wrong part, but they wanted it vs looking it up, which gives the specs/dimensions....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had good luck with Rock Auto. They did let me know by e-mail once that a part had a supplier issue. They gave me the option to cancel, which is all I could really ask of them at that point.

I wouldn't want to wait that long for a serpentine belt either, so I understand your frustration.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If only i could cancel.... The T-Stat is due on December 6th, 7 weeks after i ordered. And Rock Auto isnt giving me the option to cancel as the item is still in the hands of the carrier.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts