Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm driving home tonight and suddenly the car felt like it was running at half power. Not like it dropped cylinders, but like it couldn't breathe. mash the gas and feels like it's bogging. The strange thing is right before I got home, it stopped and started running normal again. So at first I thought I had lost my DSI clip. But I just took a long look at it and the cable looks to still be connected to the actuator. K&N stock replacement filter (No CIA) was just cleaned last oil change (about 2k ago). The car is an 04' and has 82k on it. I'm thinkin' maybe the fuel filter, but thought I'd ask here for input and advice. TIA for any help or replies.

Also does anyone know how to retrieve a lost username/password? This is not my first post, but can't remember login info. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd be willing to bet your O2 sensors need replacing. same thing just happened to me a couple of weeks ago.
Hope you can get it running again soon
Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i had the same problem too but mine was the VCT sensor! wat i did i turn my car off then back on and then it got the power back! but idk it could be something else

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

So I drove the car almost 200 miles yesterday and it was fine the whole time. That is really wierd. I'm going to do the Fuel filter and what sensors should I clean? The O2 sensors (both) were replaced less that 2 years ago when I had some CEL problems. Could they be going bad again? Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i had the same problem too but mine was the VCT sensor! wat i did i turn my car off then back on and then it got the power back! but idk it could be something else
This is exactly what just happened to me. The VCT sensor is being replaced tomorrow. The car went through a day or so choking/sputtering loss of power and then smartened up. Is your check engine light on?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nope? What does the VCT sensor do?
Its the sensor that enables the Dual Cams to be in time with each other. Mine went (VCT) and my car sounded like a plugged vacuum cleaner! Yours sounds exactly the same as mine did (symptoms)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it does. If you have already researched? Is it behind the timing belt cover or how hard and how much $ to replace?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mine did this right after i bought the car, I killed it pulling out of my driveway and it did that exact same bog, felt like the engine couldn't breath, lasted a few miles then went away. Now 2 years later its never done it again so I wonder what happened

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Check your plugs. Mine would be fine when I cut it off, then it would sound like something just wasnt right, and I'd have absolutely no power.

Heres my list:

Check Plugs
Check Wires
Check Coil Pack
Check TPS

any of those could be causing it. Feel free to PM me or something

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It probably needs wires (82K)
Plugs are motorcraft double platinum (stock) changed in winter 06'
Is there a testing procedure for the Coil pack?
And do you clean the TPS or how do you check it?
Still learning about this car. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
MOVED to "Ford Focus Technical Chat".

First off, I'd get to any auto parts store that will read codes for free.
You can have stored codes without throwing the CEL (Check Engine Light)

Don't just throw parts at it, until you see if the computer tells you what's wrong first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts