Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been experiencing an issue where when driving my car at highway speeds my car runs at proper temp (temp guage roughly in the middle, where it normally is suppose to be) and with proper heating but as soon as I stop at a light, especially on very cold days, my car temp drops along with my heat. In the summer my car does not overheat at all.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I have yet to take any action but plan to check my coolant levels this afternoon. I have received so many varied responses, and have searched the interest but haven't seen anyone with the same issue I have.

EDIT: I have a 2011 Ford Focus SE.

Cheers,
David

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am no expert, but the 1st two things you should do is check your antifreeze to see what temperature it is good to, also check for sudsing in your overflow and if you can under the radiator cap, you may have blockage built up. You should change you antifreeze yearly or when recommended.

The other cheap fix is to replace your thermostat, they have not changed since, they still go bad, weak springs and or wear out.

Sounds like for some reason your thermostat is opening when you stopping. If these have not been changed since 2011, most likely the problem.

Both these suggestions are regular maintenance items.

I went on a cold day, about 10 degrees out in the country, and my temperature needle dropped rapidly when the wind blew into my car. I mean all they down. So I changed my antifreeze as it was all sudsy. Have not been out in the boonies to see if it is good now.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have been experiencing an issue where when driving my car at highway speeds my car runs at proper temp (temp guage roughly in the middle, where it normally is suppose to be) and with proper heating but as soon as I stop at a light, especially on very cold days, my car temp drops along with my heat. In the summer my car does not overheat at all.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I have yet to take any action but plan to check my coolant levels this afternoon. I have received so many varied responses, and have searched the interest but haven't seen anyone with the same issue I have.

EDIT: I have a 2011 Ford Focus SE.

Cheers,
David
Hi David,

Let me help with your heating concerns. Has your dealer provided a diagnosis? Send over the current odometer reading and preferred dealer; I'll see how to assist.

Nikki
Ford Service CA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts