Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I was driving the other day that my temp on my car was a little hotter than normal. It wasnt much at all, just a tad past half on the gauge. I pull into sonic to get a drink and as I watch the gauge..it kind of pops back and forth...it doesnt raise and lower. It never got hot (that I know of) it just popped back and forth between a little warmer than normal and a little cooler than normal. I was wondering because I dont know if this is going to turn into a big problem that I should fix now or if it is no big deal.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
220 Posts
If your under warranty i'd just take it in and ask about it. Sounds like a Thermostat issue maybe. But like i said if you have the time to take it in i would recommend that and if it becomes a bigger issue then ill guide you myself.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The sensor may be bad or the themostat may be going or maybe the fans are kicking on and off causing it to go to cooler than normal and then warmer than normal. Have the computer checked

·
Registered
15 Posts
Arent the temp sensors on these cars a common issue? It should be a $20 part which should be changed along with the thermostat. Depending on how warm/humid the day was, if you had the A/C on while idling for the time you were at Sonic etc... It could also be an air bubble in the system that keeps burping... best thing to do is bleed the system (a do-it yourself project), then change thermostat and sensor

·
Registered
26 Posts
myfirstfocus said:
... a little hotter than normal. It wasnt much at all, just a tad past half on the gauge. ... It never got hot (that I know of) it just popped back and forth between a little warmer than normal and a little cooler than normal....
I will suggest you to use the temperature gauge fuction in the DLC by the odometer. In mine the fans come on at 110°C and Off at 105°C. This could be the only way to know if your engine coolant system is working properly. I am thinking that may a needle gauge became out of range, before entering 'dirty mode' just check what the real temp is.
If the sensor is right compare the reading to the needle position because this is the signal triggering your fan on and off. The A/C operation just obligates the second fan to come on.

About the air bubble please remember the sensors read liquid temp not gas. When the car is moving is rare the fans come on and off, but it happens frequently in the city even at the stop lights for you to notice this. When the car is stoped it will be a normal cicle on and off with fans depending on the temp reading.

Good luck !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts