Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is more of a feeler. I'm looking into swpaping my motor out with a zetec or duratec (working on a deal with a duratec with tranny and wiring right now)

i know quite a bit about motors but never done a swap nor do i know a whole hell of a lot.

so here's my offer.. I can provide the parts (might need a few of you to let me know what to get though) ANY tool you'd need (rachets, torches, jacks, 2 types of lifts, machine shop, engine stands and hoists... perks of living on a military base) and I will buy food (pizza or something) i'm sure it'll take more than one day to finish the fine tuning parts but i'm willing to let someone sleep on my sleeper sofa if they want to stick around but live too far from me (camp pendleton)

let me know who's up for it it'll be a weekend thing. the only bad thing is the place does have a closing time so we'd have to start early to get a god chunk of time to work but i think with a few of us working we can knock it out (you point out what needs to come out and i can make it happen)

on thing i will need is a truck, ii'll need to transport the new motor into the place and the old one out (maybe.. or i can junk it there)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lucky for me? lol yeah but i don't know too many people here.. the one guy that knows alot about this sorta thing.. just left for 6 months for a military training cycle. lol. and a few others are deployed.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Derrick is pretty good with this sort of thing. Don't know if he's still around the SoCal forums but see him posting in other sections. He lives in Laguna Niguel. I might be willing to help as I'm really handy with tools but I have no knowledge/experience of an engine swap. Just replacing clutches is all but if I can take it out, I can surely put it back in [;)]

·
Registered
542 Posts
First off you need to make sure everything is interchangable. Keep in mind that when you take on a project like this, NOTHING seems to go right.

My brother, My father (mechanic of 30+ years), and myself just finished doing a complete race ready Built on my brother Camaro. Let me tell you, Its all the little things that never want to go in!!! And this is simply installing the Stock, But modded engine in.

I can promise you unless every single hanger, Clip, Nut and bolt is the same from one car to another, Your going to run into issues, which will in turn make this more of a 3-4 week project. I hate to burst your bubble or whatever they say, but I'd rather warn you before you get in over your head and are left with a car with no engine and pulling your hair out!!!![?|]

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Derrick is pretty good with this sort of thing. Don't know if he's still around the SoCal forums but see him posting in other sections. He lives in Laguna Niguel. I might be willing to help as I'm really handy with tools but I have no knowledge/experience of an engine swap. Just replacing clutches is all but if I can take it out, I can surely put it back in [;)]
yea im around.

however, hes venturing into a larger project then i think he realizes.

you have to replace ALL the wiring in the car...its quite an undertaking.

you would be far better of building a mild cammed zetec with a bit higher compression and running that. then you would only have to change the engine bay wiring, which is hard, but not an undertaking like the entire car.

there is problems with gem modules and everything working when you do a swap of a car that didnt have a similar motor in it when you bought it.

i can give you advice and point you in a direction of where you need to go.

let me know

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well another idea was a turbo. i've seen some peopel turbo the spi and i coudl surely fidn one of them to help me put together a kit, then i'll just yank my motor simply so i can replace the piston rings with new ones (one is bad i think) and then put the turbo on there. then use the rest of that money to upgrade my brakes and suspension which both need a little work (soggy suspension and fading brakes.... that's why i don't go to the canyon runs)

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Yeah if you're gonna go with an engine swap and do all that work. Why throw in another lame 4 banger when you can drop in a 350 or something bigger for relatively the same amount of work and not worry about further engine mods again!

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
personally i say drop a built zetec in there and turbo that...you'd make good power. and parts are more readily available

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
for what you're going to get out of a d-tec you might as well take the easy route and do a zetec swap...jeez a stock zetec with good rings and compression with a turbo on it will make 225ish...what more do you want?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah most likely gonna go the built zetec route.. but not soon.. i've opted to wait a little.. learn a little more about what i have to do.. save up some more money and play with the outside of the car for now.. but thanks for all the input (i got more here than i did the engine swap forum)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow double post

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yeah most likely gonna go the built zetec route.. but not soon.. i've opted to wait a little.. learn a little more about what i have to do.. save up some more money and play with the outside of the car for now.. but thanks for all the input (i got more here than i did the engine swap forum)
its all in who you ask my friend [cheers]

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
for what you're going to get out of a d-tec you might as well take the easy route and do a zetec swap...jeez a stock zetec with good rings and compression with a turbo on it will make 225ish...what more do you want?

turbo the spi or swap in a zetec and turbo that

since i know you switch i think ur gonna keep the spi and make some custom kit out of parts from who knows where and boost it to hell and back since you like to take the road less traveled. doing a swap to duratec would be nice but will be a pain. like conelite said its the little things that dont want to go where they are supposed to go and keep you from finishing when you think you will. having access to the shop on base will lower that amount of time dramatically but its still gonna be a pain in the ass lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts