·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys, what do you get when you mix 02 Facelift euro headlights

With Land Rover LR3 Bi-xenon projectors

And Authentic BMW E46 shrouds?

Well I don't know either, but it's gonna be badass [wiggle]

This is just a teaser thread, I intend on making a progress thread after I get the bulbs and ballasts.

My plans are as follows:

*Paint headlight housings gloss black
*Clear turn signal
*LED strip for running light
*Painting the shrouds Teal to match my valve cover

The last two I'm still on the fence about doing, so some input as to how the LEDs should look and if I should paint the shrouds would be awesome. Maybe you guys could photoshop my headlight pic to give me some ideas. [cheers]

·
Registered
909 Posts
Keep the shrouds chrome and leave out the led strips. It should look more "authentic" that way.

Good luck with the retrofit! [cheers]

·
Registered
724 Posts
You should do a how-to I've always wanted to know how you guys do it, I want to get some facelift headlights my self and retro-fit them too. I just don't know how or where to get the parts or what would work.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
woot! i cant wait to see this!

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure thing, I can sell you the signals whenever I get my clear ones.

And as far as bulbs go, still deciding on the 85122 and 85122+.

My process is going to be a little slow, I need to nab a set of stock headlights so I can run those temporarily. I'm also going to be retrofitting my old FX35's into my friends RSX Type-S this Tuesday, so I'll see how that comes out since I'm going to mount my projectors the same way. I'll definitely do a how-to and take lots of pictures.

Only other progress I made thus far was order my STi-R lenses from TRFS.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys I have some bad news. It seems this project is dead before it really got started. I took one side off to get some measurements, and it seems that these headlights won't take my projector--or any for that matter. The reflector bowl depth seems to be hardly 3", so that mean's over half of the projector would be sticking out, so it would interfere with light adjustment and quite possibly look silly.

Here's some pics. [:(]

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
noooo! i was so excited to see this!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why not just make a mold out the back of the 2002's? I am probably going to be doing that with my ST170's.
Or if you feel daring, put the bi-xenon's in the High beam location and do something interesting with the low beam area?

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not mount it off the reflector, and hide the body with the shroud?
I would need a shroud long enough to cover more than half of the projector.

Why not just make a mold out the back of the 2002's? I am probably going to be doing that with my ST170's.
Or if you feel daring, put the bi-xenon's in the High beam location and do something interesting with the low beam area?
Projector is too large to fit in the high beam location. And do you mean like vacuum mold the back?

Or you could vacuum form around the projector
I thought of this, but the projector will be sticking out a large amount, and it will pose some problems to the aiming. If it needed to be aimed down, it would hit the housing of the headlight because it sticks so far out.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, so I did a bit more brain storming. This project might still be feasible, but it's gonna need some serious hacking.

Did some photo-shopping and came up with this.

Aand I might have to go with a hacked dust cover. Something along the lines of this.

Or maybe this.

It's either the projector sticks out the front a fair amount, or it sticks out through the back a fair amount.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think i would see about sticking the projector out a little farther than cutting up your cover. I really don't think it will look bad if the projector is sticking out more. Then if that doesn't work then i guess your going to have to hack it up. The joys of retrofitting. Well good luck with it

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
well, get to it! no time to be waisting it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts