Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Installed pics:

Alternator:

Close up:

Both pulleys:

With the belt:

Swapping the two pulleys at the same time meant no change in belt length. Winning.

14.85 volts at idle was great, but the battery crashes to 3.5v when I trigger the starter so I need to get a new one of those!

I have done some preliminary math, and it looks like this pulley will turn the alternator 6000 RPM slower at redline than the stock unit. I cannot help but think that will do positive things for alternator life, particularly the bearings. I have thrown an entire bearing cartridge out the back of the alternator case before and the computed 22,000 RPM it is turning at redline with the factory pulley setup may explain why.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Since your going to be running at higher rpm than the average car so the smaller pulley should be fine.
Right, but the point I am making above is that the pulley still gives me full juice even at idle. So, as far as I can tell now, there is no downside. Granted, I haven't turned the stereo up to 11, the rear defog on, the interior fan to max , the high beams on and cycled the engine fan, but the setup passed the basic idle speed test with flying colors.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Did the full maths:

Code:
Redline:  	7,400RPM	
Stock crank pulley:  	5.15"	
Stock alternator pulley:  	1.75"	21,777RPM
teamDFL alternator pulley:  	2.4"	15,879RPM
Difference:  	0.65"	-5,898RPM
Stock JRSC pulley:  	3"	12,703RPM
teamDFL JRSC pulley:  	2.4"	15,879RPM
Difference:  	-0.6"	3,176RPM
The right column is speed at redline.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
New battery installed and the car started right up. Now I am left wonder how sensitive the ABS system is to voltage fluctuations. Can my random ABS light be traced back to inconsistent voltage supply from a bad battery and/or alternator? The light is now off. Hmmm......

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Went for a test drive and datalogging session, get 5 psi at any RPM, 7 psi by 3500 and 8 psi at redline. Very, very satisfying to drive now.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts