Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So went into the garage last night to figure out why the car won't idle.

Found out that one of the blower bolts was not as tight as the other, so re-torqued it - no effect.

Noticed that the bottom throttle body securing bolt wasn't as tight as the others, so tightened it down - no effect.

Thought that the silicone intake adapter wasn't square and might be causing a leak, so adjusted it - no effect.

Noticed that the IACV plug wasn't all the way, so pushed it on - BINGO!!!

Car idles now. I have to get a new plug as the retaining clip on the one I have is broken. But otherwise, that was a free fix.

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Dang. I just saw this thread. Awesome build man, this thing is schweet!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I am wits end with this car right now.

I have a bad vibration. I have done it wheels on and wheels off. It is speed dependent not RPM dependent. 80 mph, third, fourth or fifth. By 100 mph (4th & 5th only) the windows are rattling. I have changed EVERYTHING that rotates except the passenger side axle. Hubs, rotors, bearings, driver side axle. I even swapped struts and mounts. I check all the engine/trans mounts. No improvement. I am completely at a loss and pretty down as I won't be able to drive it for the second event in a row.

·
Rally Rev #00
3,526 Posts
Could it be something loose with the control arm garbage?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
sounds like all that's left is the passenger side axle? that's crazy that the windows are shaking from it....sounds BAD. could it be internal to the transmission?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
sounds like all that's left is the passenger side axle? that's crazy that the windows are shaking from it....sounds BAD. could it be internal to the transmission?
That axle is the only thing not in the transmission that hasn't been replaced. I am really hoping that it isn't in the trans.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
could it be something like an output shaft bearing or something like that?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
could it be something like an output shaft bearing or something like that?
It could well be. The trans has been torn down a couple of times and perhaps it wasn't put back together quite right.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Spoke to a guy who had this same kind of problem with his 350Z. The source? The spot welds where the front subframe mounted had cracked. I saw a couple cracked spot welds by where the front strut mounts to the A pillar when I was working on the car last time, so this totally makes sense. Not an easy fix, so if anyone has any links to seam welding a Focus, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Does anyone around you rent a handheld spot welder? They are really nice for pulling the flanges back together.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Does anyone around you rent a handheld spot welder? They are really nice for pulling the flanges back together.
I have a MIG so I figure I will just seam weld up the car. I can also use a rotabroach and do plug welds. Both are stronger than spot welding.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
You'll end up doing all the seams [neener]

Seam welding is the way to go if you can get to everything.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
You'll end up doing all the seams [neener]

Seam welding is the way to go if you can get to everything.
Well, if anyone here could help find some tech on getting to everything and seam welding it, that would be great.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Took the car out, got her up to 90 mph and not a trace of vibration (or viberation as they like to say in NASCAR). Je estoy confused.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
10V max from the electrical system. Time for another new alternator. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Lovin' lifetime warranty on an alternator. Cooling ducts to the alternator added to the to do list. Removed the blower pulley and am now full swing on getting a smaller one made:

I am not a machinist, but my guess is the keyway will make this a more difficult task.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts