Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum for anyone doing this and could not find anything. I am purchasing a TCU modem from a 2017 Ford Escape to install in my 2016 Titanium so i can use the Sync Connect and Ford Pass app to start my car lock and unlock the car using my smart phone. Has anyone tried to do this and it work? Let me know. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i have tried one from a 2017 Ford Escape. Because the Escape uses basically the same wiring and can bus system as the Focus MK3.5. I connected it up to the I-CAN bus as it is connected like that in the Escape. Nothing. :-( I then connected it into the Medium CAN Bus to see if there is any difference. Well now my Sync 3 APIM sees it but does not communicate with it for some reason. So it might be a bad unit. I got it off ebay so i never saw it working. I also have a 2019 TCU from a Ford Fusion. I'm going to try and hook that one up in my car tomorrow and see if it works. If not then i can't for the life of me figure out why they work in an Escape but not my 2016 Titanium. I will let you guys know what i find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, i have tried one from a 2017 Ford Escape. Because the Escape uses basically the same wiring and can bus system as the Focus MK3.5. I connected it up to the I-CAN bus as it is connected like that in the Escape. Nothing. :-( I then connected it into the Medium CAN Bus to see if there is any difference. Well now my Sync 3 APIM sees it but does not communicate with it for some reason. So it might be a bad unit. I got it off ebay so i never saw it working. I also have a 2019 TCU from a Ford Fusion. I'm going to try and hook that one up in my car tomorrow and see if it works. If not then i can't for the life of me figure out why they work in an Escape but not my 2016 Titanium. I will let you guys know what i find out tomorrow.
Any updates

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i finally got the Sync APIM to recognize the TCU. I now can see a modem serial number on the screen. I activated it in the FordPass App and Ford granted my activation. But as of today, i still can't access anything in the car or lock or unlock the doors. So, reading on the F-150 forum I'm finding out that there is some as-built data that needs to be added to the TCU and PMI using IDS. I thought it would be a plug and play install but apparently not. I have since bought the IDS software to try and program the TCU to my car. I'm just waiting on the J2534 adapter to come in the mail so i can use the software. I will let you guys know if i can figure out how to program it. The Ford Escape uses the same TCU that I'm using in my car. And it uses the same I-CAN bus system to make it work. The Escape and C-Max are the same as the Focus. So it should work. Someone wrote somewhere i read when activating the vehicle in the Ford Pass app to use the VIN number from the Escape the TCU came out of even though my car has a different VIN number of course. But i have not tried that yet. I'm going to try the IDS programming first. And i may hookup my UCDS system and see what i can do with the TCU in that software to make it work. I will let you guys know once i get it working. If you don't hear from me next, that means I'm still trying to figure it out. :) Oh, i did finally get my Adaptive Cruise Control to work in my car. Man i love that option a ton. :-D

·
Registered
3 Posts
But as of today, i still can't access anything in the car or lock or unlock the doors. So, reading on the F-150 forum I'm finding out that there is some as-built data that needs to be added to the TCU and PMI using IDS.
Having the same problem in my RS, the problem lies in the IPC configuration. The Escape uses the IPC as a gateway to relay the TCU messages over the i-can, to the ms-can and hs-can networks. The focus IPC programming is not set to "see" messages sent from the TCU and then relay them to the other modules. I took a Gateway module from a C-max and wired all three can networks to it and plugged into the DLC connector. The fordpass app finally would recognize the door lock status but nothing else. I plan on laying an escape IPC in and testing remote functions. I have poured over as-built data and set multiple bits on and off to no avail.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow Drew, you have gotten further on this than anyone I've talked to. So let me ask you this. Did your sync 3 APIM see the modem number in the settings info and allow it to activate your car? Funny thing is i know you can swap instrument clusters from the Escape and visa versa with the Focus. I have a 2016 Focus ST Cluster in my Titanium programmed with my AS BUILT data and it works great. So I'm sure if I installed an Escape cluster like out of a 2018-2019 i should be able to get it to work in my car. But I've never done it with that cluster yet so you have a great idea on this topic. I will look for an Escape cluster and see what happens when I install it in my car. It takes 2 minutes to pull the cluster out of my Focus. I tell you what I would really like to do is put the RS cluster in my car because I like the blue and red colors it shows. I think it looks better than the ST cluster. I have an RS E-brake handle and console lid and I had a leather shop stitch the blue stitching in the leather shifter cover to match the E-brake and console lid color. Blue is my favorite color by the way. :) So this is my other dilemma with installing the TCU. According to the F-150 guys, you have to do a little programming to the TCU once installed by going into the module with Forscan and tweaking some numbers. The problem is Forscan does not see my TCU cause it is on the I-CAN bus and Forscan only pulls modules that are on the HS CAN and the MED CAN speeds. So i have no way to get into the TCU to program it so that i can put my VIN number in it. So a guy on the forum suggested i send it out to someone that has an Escape and install it and use Forscan to initialize it and then change the VIN number to my VIN and them send it back to me and i should be good to go. So i will see about that. So how did you know about this Cluster being a gateway to the CAN lines and stuff? I would have never known this and i know my Focus inside ;and out being i converted my 2014 to now a 2016. Lets keep in touch on this and not give up as i don't like to give up easily when it comes to car stuff. There has to be a way we can make this work in our cars. Lets be the first ones to make it work. :-D

·
Registered
3 Posts
As-built programming is only necessary on the F150 forum because they were sourcing modules from different vehicles and installing them into trucks that were never equipped with fordpass connect. Since you have an escape tcu and they use the same exact architecture in the BCM as the focus, no as-built will be necessary since it has already been loaded when the escape was built.

Regarding the APIM, I had to set the TCU bit using forscan. I was able to have the app paired within minutes of doing that.

I totally believe the Achilles heel to this whole project is the IPC not acting as a gateway for commands sent from the TCU. I know the TCU gets data from the IPC because I get a TPMS fault in fordpass in the winter even though I do not have Sync 3 connected via Bluetooth or wifi.
I have contacted the developers of forscan about the TCU availability and it was supposed to be added recently. Don't know where that stands as I haven't downloaded the new release since January

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As-built programming is only necessary on the F150 forum because they were sourcing modules from different vehicles and installing them into trucks that were never equipped with fordpass connect. Since you have an escape tcu and they use the same exact architecture in the BCM as the focus, no as-built will be necessary since it has already been loaded when the escape was built.

Regarding the APIM, I had to set the TCU bit using forscan. I was able to have the app paired within minutes of doing that.

I totally believe the Achilles heel to this whole project is the IPC not acting as a gateway for commands sent from the TCU. I know the TCU gets data from the IPC because I get a TPMS fault in fordpass in the winter even though I do not have Sync 3 connected via Bluetooth or wifi.
I have contacted the developers of forscan about the TCU availability and it was supposed to be added recently. Don't know where that stands as I haven't downloaded the new release since January

Oh, wow. You're good. Lol So my question is because you lost me with this one thing you said. What is the TCU bit? I don't understand that. So i would like you to check out this guys website. I think he's an IT guy. You should see this guys bench tester for the TCU's. I want to buy this TCU from a 2018 Escape but it's a Canada one and I'm not sure if it will work in the US according to the F-150 guys. They say it has to be from the US only. Let me know what you think of this guys site. It is very interesting. You will have to use Google Chrome browser to read it as you need to translate to English. He's in the Ukraine. :-/

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, wow. You're good. Lol So my question is because you lost me with this one thing you said. What is the TCU bit? I don't understand that. So i would like you to check out this guys website. I think he's an IT guy. You should see this guys bench tester for the TCU's. I want to buy this TCU from a 2018 Escape but it's a Canada one and I'm not sure if it will work in the US according to the F-150 guys. They say it has to be from the US only. Let me know what you think of this guys site. It is very interesting. You will have to use Google Chrome browser to read it as you need to translate to English. He's in the Ukraine. :-/
Here is the link to check out. https: blog.uaid.net.ua/tcu-ford/

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what did you need/ have to do to get that working id love that option. Can dm me if you want to keep it seperate from this post
Well, it's quite simple to be honest. You will have to buy the module and bracket from Turkey or Germany/Russia from a Focus that had Adaptive Cruise Control on it. Then you need to find a plug or harness from a car that has that option such as a Ford Escape, Edge, Fusion etc. and get the wires as long as you can. Then you need the Adaptive Cruise Control Switch from an Escape 2017-2019. Then you need to buy the front bumper support from the UK for a Focus 2015-2018 because the support will have the holes in the center of it to mount the bracket and module to it in the center of it. After you get all this, then you need to mount the module and bracket to your car and on a level surface, take a level and adjust the vertical adjustment screw on the module to where is is 100% level vertically. Then after you do that, load up USCD software, go into the BCM and change line 23 to Adaptive Cruise Control, and then line 96 and 97 to Forward Collision Warning and Auto Braking. Once you change those settings, you will need to clear all DTC's using UCDS and then go into ABS Module calibration and recalibrate the ABS module to your new settings for the Adaptive Cruise Control. If your car did not come equipped from the factory with Hill Start Assist, then you will have to change your ABS module to one that came from a car equipped with that option. Then you will need to go into the IPC AS built data with UCDS and go to the line that says Cruise Control and change that to Adaptive Cruise Control and write all to the IPC and that's that. This will allow you to choose Adaptive Cruise Control or Normal Cruise Control in the instrument cluster menu. Then last but no least, you will have to using UCDS go in to Direct Configuration and choose CCM and you will have to calibrate the module by driving on the highway for 10 miles so that the radar can calibrate the horizontal alignment of the module. Then once it's done, it will tell you on the center screen on the cluster that calibration is complete. Then the software will tell you to pull over to the side of the highway and shut your car off for 10 seconds so that it can save the calibration information to the CCM module and once you start the car and to you just turn on the cruise control and Wala, your done. :-D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings,
Newbie here and immigrated from the Lincoln forums where I have been beating my brains out trying to solve a problem I've encountered without spending thousands of dollars the dealer is requesting. My MKC is giving me a "collision alert not available" warning that I am able to clear on the OK button on steering wheel. Dealer says I need a new forward looking sensor and of course all the calibrations and alignments and on the MKC removal and replacement of front vehicle fascia. All of the above is understandable, but my problem is, I would be happy to eliminate the CMM module from the vehicle profile completely (make the car blind to it). In the current state, the car will not switch to either adaptive cruise, or standard cruise. I get no response to either function because of the CMM malfunction. I don't care about adaptive cruise, but would love to have standard cruise available to me. I'm being told that I will have to replace the button switches on the steering column to accomplish what I want to do. The buttons have been tested and are functional, but since neither cruise is available, they don't work at the present time. I have pulled the fuse for the cmm and that does not clear the error which shows up each time I start the car. I thought doing that would allow me to change the dash setting to standard cruise but not so. Also, the vehicle is designed to default to adaptive at engine start. I'm thinking that if I can stop all modules from attempting to communicate with the cmm, clear the embedded error, then standard cruise will work fine with the existing cruise switches on the steering wheel. Of course neither the Lincoln dealer nor my local electronics expert will do the reprogramming necessary to eliminate collision alert module, eliminate adaptive cruise as US fed regs prohibit anyone messing with the CMM. Since the vehicle is out of warranty and all other functions would be similar to a standard Lincoln, I don't see why it is an issue, but hey, the Gov is the Gov. So, anyone have a path forward to let me accomplish what I want with only software changes? I have the obdex and the extended license Forscan software, but unable to plan a path to make it all come together. Any and all inputs will be studied and attempted. This is my first go round with Forscan and the vehicle software, so I hesitate to use the trial and error method. Titanium added Adaptive cruise, I want to eliminate it.... LOL.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Osanbat, you can turn off the collision warning system and ACC in the BCM using UCDS asbuilt editor. Then you won't get any error messages regarding it. Problem is, you won't have any cruise control at all. The only way the PCM will allow you to get rid of the ACC and use standard cruise is to unhook the the CCM and install the standard cruise control buttons for your steering wheel and go into the BCM with UCDS and change the cruise control line to standard cruise and then change forward collision warning to say without FCW and change the line for Auto Brake Support to without and change Auto Speed Limiter to without, write changes to the BCM and wala.... You will have only standard cruise control with no error messages. Hope this helps you some. Feel free to ask me any other questions if needed. What year and model is your Lincoln?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings and Thanks,
My Lincoln is a 2015 MKC Reserve. The issue began shortly after I had a new battery installed about a year and a half ago. Initially, it was an intermittent error on the dash "collision warning not available", and of course, no cruise available when warning visible. Lincoln dealer said forward sensor bracket was bent and they straightened it. Reset errors and was good to go. That lasted for about 10 miles. Again, it would correct itself and the warning disappeared at will....lol. Finally took it back to dealer again, and they said they were unable to induce or repeat the problem. Fine, I drove it again, with it reappearing unexpectedly, sometimes weeks apart. Took it back to dealer and they said need new CMM, forward looking camera in rear view mirror, and labor for all calibrations, parts, front fascia removal, about $3000 as vehicle was now out of warranty. That's pretty much where I'm at now. The warning on the dash does not clear itself anymore. It's now permanent it seems. I can clear it with the steering wheel buttons but no cruise functionality at all. I've lived without collision and adaptive for years before, so my goal now is to conserve bucks and only have standard cruise. Since the cruise buttons on my Reserve include the distance increase and decrease button, but all other functions are the same for standard mode or adaptive, shouldn't I be able to use the existing switches without swapping them out. They are used on a fully functioning vehicle in both modes (adaptive and standard). I understand that changing them out would entail removing airbag too. You are the expert, so I'm relying on you and others with experience to try and solve my issues. Truly appreciate all the help and interest. The pros refuse to do any kind of workarounds for legal reasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK,,,, I have reached a measure of success today by altering the BCM, ABS and IPC modules. I still have the "collision alert not available" error message every time I start the engine, but can clear with the OK button. I now have standard cruise working fine using the Adaptive cruise button/switches set on the steering wheel. I was convinced they would function once I got the car to understand I only want standard cruise. I believe the dash error message is resulting from old data in the pcu and now am thinking that I can eliminate that by pulling the fuse for the pcm relay, not absolutely sure, but will continue to update you as to my progress.... I am now 90% of the way to success and have functioning buttons with standard cruise control available to me. If that doesn't due it, perhaps setting all configuration settings to 0 in the ccm will stop error messages. Can easily reverse with reload of cmm as built settings if need be, right?
Thanks for reaching out and sharing your expertise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How is your cruise working so far?
So far so good in some test runs locally it indicates on at the push of the on button and sets and adjusts as it should. This despite the fact that the "collision warning not available" error is displayed at every engine start. I'm going daffy trying to rid that, but clearing it with the "OK" button on the steering wheel does the job till the next restart. I will continue checking settings to try to find what module is generating that error message. Your post was a big help to me in getting the standard cruise working, so thanks again. Tomorrow I will have a 6 hour road trip, and I will be able to endurance test the cruise, I'm confident it will be fine. If you have any thoughts on clearing that error from the instrument panel, I'd be happy if you shared.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds great that you got all this worked out. I can tell you this I have had to learn a ton of things about the electronics of these cars in the last 3 years just to convert my 2014 Focus Titanium into a 2016 MY and add all the options possible that i can. I have had the local Ford dealer by me hit me up once to help them figure out a problem on a 2018 Ford Escape. LOL All you really needed to do to fix your problem is to buy a used CCM from Ebay and swap it out and just install AS-BUILT data from your vin and then calibrate it and you would be back up and running. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts